• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Update on Josh Smith yet? Claxton retire?

y2kenta

Has there been any more updates on Smoove's return? Will he play this week?

I think that we'll be fine without him against the Bucks @ home, even though we lost to NJ @ home. We are desperately in need of some of his energy and hustle because the team is just not nearly as competitive without Josh. We are already losing winnable games (New Jersey, Indiana) and that's the thing that plagued us during all those the bad (non-playoff years).

And for crying out loud, what is the f'n deal with Speed-less Claxton these days?

The last we heard, he strained or pulled his hamstring way back in preseason. I just want to know if he's working out, walking/running, practicing with the team or what! I mean is there any way we could get news on this guys anymore? Should he just retire and allow us to make some other moves that could clean up our team a little more.

I think that we'll be fine without him against the Bucks @ home, even though we lost to NJ @ home. We are desperately in need of some of his energy and hustle because the team is just not nearly as competitive without Josh. We are already losing winnable games (New Jersey, Indiana) and that's the thing that plagued us during all those the bad (non-playoff years).

And for crying out loud, what is the f'n deal with Speed-less Claxton these days?

The last we heard, he strained or pulled his hamstring way back in preseason. I just want to know if he's working out, walking/running, practicing with the team or what! I mean is there any way we could get news on this guys anymore? Should he just retire and allow us to make some other moves that could clean up our team a little more.

I can's stand Speedy!

The guy is a plague. I don't want him to just retire.... I want him to d.... well.... just use your imagination!

• Moderators

I'm just guessing the Hawks don't want Speedy to play because of the insurance money. I'm no expert but if he is physically able for a certain number of games they lose the money right? I'm sure he probably could play but they feel like he'll be limited in what he can do so they're content to just collect insurance. Otherwise why would there be zero updates on his status. Everyone close to the organization probably knows the deal.

I think I read Sheridan or Ford say that Speedy is probably out fo the season with the hammy problem. I was shocked to read it, but it's out there. This was about a week ago I think. Bottom line on Speedy is don't ever plan on him playing for teh Hawks again. He will either be traded at the deadline as filler, traded in the offseason as filler, or traded at next year's trade deadline for teams trying to get into the lebron/wade/bosh/amare sweepstakes. because of the insurance deal, he has an easily moveable contract if he hasn't played by this year's trade deadline.

I think I read Sheridan or Ford say that Speedy is probably out fo the season with the hammy problem. I was shocked to read it, but it's out there. This was about a week ago I think. Bottom line on Speedy is don't ever plan on him playing for teh Hawks again. He will either be traded at the deadline as filler, traded in the offseason as filler, or traded at next year's trade deadline for teams trying to get into the lebron/wade/bosh/amare sweepstakes. because of the insurance deal, he has an easily moveable contract if he hasn't played by this year's trade deadline.

word on the street is that the team that trades for him can't write off his cap hit if the insurance thing happens, only the Hawks can. I'm not sure the stipulations on it but if it is the case it makes him worth more the Hawks than to any other team.

I can's stand Speedy!

The guy is a plague. I don't want him to just retire.... I want him to d.... well.... just use your imagination!

WOW, you act like the guy is TRYING to be injured. Dude's career has been horribly derailed by chronic knee problems... that's not something he controls or wants. Talk about kicking a guy while he's down.

If there's anyone you should be mad at for the Speedy fiasco, its BK and the Hawks doctors for not doing their due diligence before giving him that deal.

That said, it's probably best for all involved that Speedy retire.

Still, dont think a competitive basketball player like Speedy WANTED to have his career derailed like this. It's pretty sad for him.

Derailed would imply that his career was on track at one point in time. Not sure if you meant this because he has never been on track to have a solid career because he has always had some sort of an injury.

But you are right, its not Speedy we should be mad at because he just accepted a contract offer (who would decline a contract offer of that magnitude?). We should be mad at BK for giving him a contract offer knowing he was damaged goods. If you blame it on the doctors then just ask yourself, who hires our doctors?

didn't the docs also misdiagnose his knee injury that first season and he came out and played on it?

Derailed would imply that his career was on track at one point in time. Not sure if you meant this because he has never been on track to have a solid career because he has always had some sort of an injury.

Well, don't act like Speedy was total garbage. He was integral in one of San Antonio's championships (seriously he was), and he had a great season in New Orleans.

The REAL problem was ever thinking he could be a starter in this league. Dude is an elite backup, but was never made for the rigors of a starting job.

But yeah, he actually DID have a decent career going. So yes, his career was on track at one point in time (his body just couldnt keep it on that track).

• Premium Member

No, Speedy was an important part of that Spurs' team, just as he was the Hornets'.

As far as the insurance/cap hit, we need to see those as two separate issues.

One, if the Hawks trade Claxton, the other team will not get any benefit from him capwise.

Two, and I'm not sure on this part, his contract is guaranteed for illness at ~80%. After doing a little research, it appears that the NBA has a league-wide disability policy, which requires teams to insure its' top five money earners. Depending on the team, Claxton might be insured.

For the AS, trading Claxton would, in essence, be agreeing to take on some $4M/year they aren't currently paying. Best case scenario for the Hawks' owners is that Claxton retires.

Edited by mrhonline

He played 30 games for the Spurs during the regular season at 15.7 minutes per. In the playoffs, he played 24 games at 13.6 minutes per (so his playing time decreased). I am not sure where you are getting this idea of him being an integral part. His MPG was similar to Leon Powe and Glenn Davis of the Celtics last year and there is no way anyone would have called them "integral" to the success of the Celtics.

Was he garbage? No, but no one is calling him that. I am not discussing whether one believes Speedy is good or not good. I am discussing injuries. He has simply never put together a full year on the basketball court. So at every single junction of Speedy's career he has had injuries. For him to be "derailed" by injuries would mean that at one point he did not have injuries. His career high for games played is 71 and that is just pathetic for someone in the league for 9 years (but only played in 6 seasons because he has missed 3 ENTIRE seasons and I am counting this year as one of those years). Injuries have always been a part of him.

Speedy did play a decent role in that Championship against the Nets backing up a young Tony Parker.

Does it piss anyone else off to see him smiling in his suit on the sidelines?

And why the hell are they spending money on a plane ticket to fly him to away games?

What a bad signing, got almost nothing out of the guy. Maybe he is a comic and gets the guys laughing at half time. Sure looks clowny! But it pisses me off royally.

Hawk88