• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

YANKS GET TEIXEIRA

Swish

8 years, 180 million

How do you feel now, Dolfan? Sabathia, Burnett, and now Tex? Are the Yanks trigger happy or what?

EDIT--

They now have the four highest paid baseball players. A-Rod, Tex, CC and Jeter. Geez.

Holy cow that shocked the hell out of me. Tex was the guy that I wanted most this offseason and I'm glad we got him but damn that's a ton of money spent this offseason.

According to Buster Olney the Yankees payroll will still be under 200 million this year which is 10 million less than 2008 so at least we're getting good players for all the money we were wasting last year.

I'll also say this to John Henry the Red Sox owner .... hahahahahahahahahah screw you! You tried to call the bluff of Boras a couple of years ago with Johnny Damon and got burned. You tried doing it again this year and got burned. Maybe next time you'll listen to Boras when he says that he's got a better offer and you better step up.

There's an old country song, really old, that fits these players going to the

Yankees. Hank williams sung it, Not Hank Jr., his Daddy.

"If you've got the money, honey, I've got the time!"

Aah! To be so rich, cost doesn't matter. Just buy me the championship

and hang the expense.

:no-no:

8 years, 180 million

How do you feel now, Dolfan? Sabathia, Burnett, and now Tex? Are the Yanks trigger happy or what?

EDIT--

They now have the four highest paid baseball players. A-Rod, Tex, CC and Jeter. Geez.

Still waiting to hear from hawksfanatic on how there is such a deep talent pool that one team cannot buy up all the talent. The truth is that there are only a few big FA's every year, and as the Yankees have shown, one team certainly can buy all of the top-tier talent. The remaining teams are left to fight over the less talented, second-tier players or trade top prospects for veterans.

I'll also say this to John Henry the Red Sox owner .... hahahahahahahahahah screw you! You tried to call the bluff of Boras a couple of years ago with Johnny Damon and got burned. You tried doing it again this year and got burned. Maybe next time you'll listen to Boras when he says that he's got a better offer and you better step up.

You're laughing because the Red Sox didn't spend outspend your passionless, sickening, wasteful team? I think the Red Sox laughed a bit harder when your team spent 70 million more last year and MISSED the playoffs COMPLETELY. Have some dignity. I hate both of those overspending teams, but nothing is more pathetic than the Yankees' run of failures in spite of blowing every other team (including the Sox) out of the water in terms of payroll.

Still waiting to hear from hawksfanatic on how there is such a deep talent pool that one team cannot buy up all the talent. The truth is that there are only a few big FA's every year, and as the Yankees have shown, one team certainly can buy all of the top-tier talent. The remaining teams are left to fight over the less talented, second-tier players or trade top prospects for veterans.

Care to explain how a monopoly can occur in a sports league with fixed roster sizes? Still waiting to hear that response, it should be a good one. Its obvious someone is a little sore that the Braves just couldn't muster up enough money to make a competitive offer to Burnett. Maybe if the team wasn't so dumb to waste their resources in getting Vasquez then they would have money to get Burnett and you wouldn't have your panties all bunched up over a team that generates more revenue than any other team in the league.

I can't fault the Yankees for being a business success, if you can produce why shouldn't you reap the benefits?

It's going to be interesting to see if those 3 guys can live up to their contracts. In many ways they can't unless the Yankees win several WS in the next few years.

Dol, did you ever watch Tex while he was with the Braves last year? Guy wasn't clutch. He had some nice hits, but he really didn't produce like most thought he would. At the same time Tex is a 2nd half guy, so it may be that the Braves just didn't get his best.

Another interesting bit on Tex: according to interviews with the Braves beat writer Dave O'Brian, Tex isn't a leader in any shape or form. That probably isn't too much of an issue with the Yankees, but he didn't do much in the Braves clubhouse. From what I heard, Tex was a loner and kept to himself. Not sure that is going to play well in NYC where the media eats those sorts of guys alive.

In all the Yankees have a good team now, but they all have to produce for them to be a success. The Red Sox still have a very good team as well. It should be a long, drawn out fight to see who takes the AL East.

8 years, 180 million

EDIT--

I wonder why MLB keeps wondering why their sport has lost its luster and popularity every where but NY and Boston ? They are no longer the national past time for the most obvious of reasons.

Every day working Joes do not want to see the rich continue to get richer.

Until they put in a salary cap the majority of the country will continue to treat baseball as a 2nd fiddle sport.............

I expect ratings and ticket sales to drop in all MLB cities but NY and Boston unless Tampa Bay has another miracle season. GO RAYS !

Edited by coachx

I wonder why MLB keeps wondering why their sport has lost its luster and popularity every where but NY and Boston ? They are no longer the national past time for the most obvious of reasons.

Every day working Joes do not want to see the rich continue to get richer.

Until they put in a salary cap the majority of the country will continue to treat baseball as a 2nd fiddle sport.............

I expect ratings and ticket sales to drop in all MLB cities but NY and Boston unless Tampa Bay has another miracle season. GO RAYS !

This might be the offseason where the other owners finally gang up on Stienbrenner and force a more stringent revenue sharing system. They should go to a dollar for dollar luxery tax. Establish a generous threshold, but once over it, you are paying through the nose.

The inequality in the system is going to kill it. Smaller markets just don't have the revenue base of the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, and to some extent, the Phillies and Chicago teams.

The other option that Peter Gammons suggested (tongue in cheek) was to put the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets and Phillies in the same division (the money division) so that the rest of baseball can compete more evenly for the offseason.

This might be the offseason where the other owners finally gang up on Stienbrenner and force a more stringent revenue sharing system. They should go to a dollar for dollar luxery tax. Establish a generous threshold, but once over it, you are paying through the nose.

The inequality in the system is going to kill it. Smaller markets just don't have the revenue base of the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, and to some extent, the Phillies and Chicago teams.

The other option that Peter Gammons suggested (tongue in cheek) was to put the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets and Phillies in the same division (the money division) so that the rest of baseball can compete more evenly for the offseason.

Why would the owners do that? Right now they get an equal share of the tax that the Yankees pay. If it went to a dollar for dollar system then the Yankees would most likely not spend over the tax and therefore not pay any taxes which wouldn't get the other greedy owners any free money. Free money that they are SUPPOSED to invest in the team but I'd bet most owners simply pocket.

As far as the other teams competing more fairly, based on how many teams have won the world series and how almost every year you see small market teams in the playoffs I'd say that that fairness isn't a big problem. You don't see teams in baseball running off multiple world series championships and even when the Yankees won their titles they did it without buying them. I doubt that anything in baseball is going to change until you see the Yankees or Mets or Red Sox winning 2, 3, 4 consecutive championships because of buying big name FAs.

And as Hawksfanatic says, how can you fault a business (because that's what baseball teams are) for successfully running their organizations? It would be like penalizing Apple for making the best MP3 player and having the best marketing.

You're laughing because the Red Sox didn't spend outspend your passionless, sickening, wasteful team? I think the Red Sox laughed a bit harder when your team spent 70 million more last year and MISSED the playoffs COMPLETELY. Have some dignity. I hate both of those overspending teams, but nothing is more pathetic than the Yankees' run of failures in spite of blowing every other team (including the Sox) out of the water in terms of payroll.

Oh yes I'm laughing at the Red Sox and I'm laughing at you for always defending them and attacking the Yankees. I knew this thread would really get to you and I think it's hilarious how you call the Yankees "sickening, passionless, and wasteful". But I guess the Red Sox and other teams with ridiculous payrolls are full of passion and not wasteful at all, right? At what point does a team become passionless and wasteful? Is it at 100 million? 125? 150? 200? I'm sure it's at 1 dollar above whatever amount your team spends, right?

Ratings, if anything they will increase. Ticket sales should drop everywhere (including Boston and NY) because of the recession, not because of some competitive imbalance.

I don't like the Yankees (who the hell bans facial hair?), but I get angry when people start to talk about competitive imbalance after one of their moves and not a move by another team. Where was everyone when the Rangers signed A-Rod? Or when the Rockies signed Neagle and Hampton? Or the Red Sox signing Manny or Matsuzaka? It makes me question what people's real intentions are when there is no uproar of other teams spending the same amount (if not more) on an individual free agent that the Yankees would.

Why would the owners do that? Right now they get an equal share of the tax that the Yankees pay. If it went to a dollar for dollar system then the Yankees would most likely not spend over the tax and therefore not pay any taxes which wouldn't get the other greedy owners any free money. Free money that they are SUPPOSED to invest in the team but I'd bet most owners simply pocket.

As far as the other teams competing more fairly, based on how many teams have won the world series and how almost every year you see small market teams in the playoffs I'd say that that fairness isn't a big problem. You don't see teams in baseball running off multiple world series championships and even when the Yankees won their titles they did it without buying them. I doubt that anything in baseball is going to change until you see the Yankees or Mets or Red Sox winning 2, 3, 4 consecutive championships because of buying big name FAs.

And as Hawksfanatic says, how can you fault a business (because that's what baseball teams are) for successfully running their organizations? It would be like penalizing Apple for making the best MP3 player and having the best marketing.

You quote me as saying that I "hate both those overspending teams" referring to both the Red Sox and Yankees. Then, you say that I defend the Red Sox in the same post. Think about that.

Now that you've had time to let that wash over you, think about how incredibly stupid you must appear to me. Now you can understand why I won't waste my time on formulating an answer that you won't understand.

Tex wished he was half the hitter.

I feel the same way. Actually though, they have basically identical stats over the last 5 years or so. It's a matter of when you get the hits in baseball. Manny has had a much greater impact for his teams. I'm not wishing injury on anyone, but if the Yanks had 4 or 5 guys go down with acl injuries, I think the world would collectively say " serves them right", no?

You quote me as saying that I "hate both those overspending teams" referring to both the Red Sox and Yankees. Then, you say that I defend the Red Sox in the same post. Think about that.

Now that you've had time to let that wash over you, think about how incredibly stupid you must appear to me. Now you can understand why I won't waste my time on formulating an answer that you won't understand.

I'm talking about your history on Hawksquawk as I seem to remember you continually coming to the rescue of the Red Sox and hating on the Yankees. I don't really care enough to search your history to find out whether or not that's true but I'm pretty confident that my memory is serving me correctly here.