1. * Boston --

2. * Cleveland 1.0

3. * Orlando 2.5

4. Atlanta 6.0

5. Detroit 6.5

6. Miami 10.0

7. New Jersey 12.0

8. Milwaukee 12.5

This would make the matchups. Boston vs Milwaukee, Cleveland vs. New Jersey, Orlando vs. Miami and Atlanta vs. Detroit.

Let's assume the favorite wins out. This sets up second round matchups of boston vs. atlanta and Cleveland vs. Orlando with the home team listed first. The difference here is 3.5 games would have shaken this whole list up. Let's look at the games Josh Smith was injured. The Hawks could have and should have won one of the New Jersey games, the boston game, Indiana and Toronto. All were winnable with Josh Smith healthy and in the lineup. All those games were close. Including a few games after he came back where he was very tentative. there have been other games during the year we have lost that we really should have won but let's play seer and roll back time and give the hawks these wins...the new layout of the east goes like this.

1. * Boston --

2. * Cleveland --

3. * Atlanta 1.0

4. Orlando 1.5

5. Detroit 5.5

6. Miami 9.0

7. Milwaukee 11.5

8. New Jersey 12.0

As you can see the top looks very different. New matchups are New Jersey at Boston, Milwaukee at Cleveland, Miami at Atlanta, Detroit @ Orlando. Second round matchups go Orlando at Boston, Atlanta at Cleveland. However in this position atlanta is poised to overtake either Boston or Cleveland for the 1 seed or even Orlando. It all tightens up. All things would be possible here and the road to the finals would be much easier for the Hawks. The other teams would have to play harder down the stretch losing the luxury of resting their stars and aging vets.

One of their top players went down and the other players did not step up enough. For Atlanta to take that next step, their ability to handle adversity needs to improve and maybe that one savvy smart vet (I call it the rodman factor) needs to step up or be brought in to make that change.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the playoffs started today, the eastern conference would look like this

1. * Boston --

2. * Cleveland 1.0

3. * Orlando 2.5

4. Atlanta 6.0

5. Detroit 6.5

6. Miami 10.0

7. New Jersey 12.0

8. Milwaukee 12.5

This would make the matchups. Boston vs Milwaukee, Cleveland vs. New Jersey, Orlando vs. Miami and Atlanta vs. Detroit.

Let's assume the favorite wins out. This sets up second round matchups of boston vs. atlanta and Cleveland vs. Orlando with the home team listed first. The difference here is 3.5 games would have shaken this whole list up. Let's look at the games Josh Smith was injured. The Hawks could have and should have won one of the New Jersey games, the boston game, Indiana and Toronto. All were winnable with Josh Smith healthy and in the lineup. All those games were close. Including a few games after he came back where he was very tentative. there have been other games during the year we have lost that we really should have won but let's play seer and roll back time and give the hawks these wins...the new layout of the east goes like this.

1. * Boston --

2. * Cleveland --

3. * Atlanta 1.0

4. Orlando 1.5

5. Detroit 5.5

6. Miami 9.0

7. Milwaukee 11.5

8. New Jersey 12.0

As you can see the top looks very different. New matchups are New Jersey at Boston, Milwaukee at Cleveland, Miami at Atlanta, Detroit @ Orlando. Second round matchups go Orlando at Boston, Atlanta at Cleveland. However in this position atlanta is poised to overtake either Boston or Cleveland for the 1 seed or even Orlando. It all tightens up. All things would be possible here and the road to the finals would be much easier for the Hawks. The other teams would have to play harder down the stretch losing the luxury of resting their stars and aging vets.

One of their top players went down and the other players did not step up enough. For Atlanta to take that next step, their ability to handle adversity needs to improve and maybe that one savvy smart vet (I call it the rodman factor) needs to step up or be brought in to make that change.

Certainly interesting to think about, it's a shame that we did so many stupid things to cost ourselves several of those "should have won" games. I don't think it's impossible that we'll catch Orlando but I don't see us catching Boston or Cleveland and with the way we're currently playing I believe we'll struggle some over the next 30 games and that will put us out of reach of Orlando. We're simply not a mature enough team to win consistently on the road and that will be our undoing this year. The question will be whether or not we can maintain the 4 seed.

Let's look at the games Josh Smith was injured. The Hawks could have and should have won one of the New Jersey games, the boston game, Indiana and Toronto. All were winnable with Josh Smith healthy and in the lineup.

The injury issue swings both ways. Most of the Hawks wins have come against teams that were missing at least one starter.

The Hawks first 5 wins this season were against healthy teams. Since then here are the key injuries that other teams had when we beat them.

Chicago, first game - Gooden, Hinrich

Washington, both games - Arenas, Haywood

Charlotte - JRich

Milwaukee - Redd, bogut

Miami - Beasley

Cleveland - Big Z, Gibson

Golden State - Ellis, SJax, Maggette

Chicago, second game - hinrich, Deng

Denver - Nene

Indy - Dunleavy

Houston - Artest, McGrady, Battier

That means 12 of our last 17 wins have come against teams with key injuries. If i wanted to stretch i could also list Curry.

The Hawks first 5 wins this season were against healthy teams. Since then here are the key injuries that other teams had when we beat them.

Charlotte - JRich

Milwaukee - Redd, bogut

Miami - Beasley

Denver - Nene

Indy - Dunleavy

That means 12 of our last 17 wins have come against teams with key injuries. If i wanted to stretch i could also list Curry.

Many of those players have missed a ton of games this year. Other good teams also have won many games against injured teams. Last year we played TONS of injured teams and still lost. That's why we're so much better this year, we beat the teams we are supposed to, excluding NJ of course. We've won numerous games where we played bad all game but came up big in the end. That's the sign of a good and improving team.

Of that list, I'd say the Milwaukee game with Bogut gone was big, Houston, and Golden State were the only ones we truly benefitted from.

Hinrich has only played like 8 games all year, and Deng just sucks now. Nene could've helped Denver but we blew them out, I doubt he would've changed the outcome, same with Beasley vs Miami.

Edited by AtLaS

Many of those players have missed a ton of games this year. Other good teams also have won many games against injured teams. Last year we played TONS of injured teams and still lost. That's why we're so much better this year, we beat the teams we are supposed to, excluding NJ of course. We've won numerous games where we played bad all game but came up big in the end. That's the sign of a good and improving team.

Of that list, I'd say the Milwaukee game with Bogut gone was big, Houston, and Golden State were the only ones we truly benefitted from.

Hinrich has only played like 8 games all year, and Deng just sucks now. Nene could've helped Denver but we blew them out, I doubt he would've changed the outcome, same with Beasley vs Miami.

Huh? So are you saying that if Smith had sat out the whole season instead of 12 games that his injury wouldn't matter?

Huh? So are you saying that if Smith had sat out the whole season instead of 12 games that his injury wouldn't matter?

No.

My point is that EVERY other team that has beaten those teams have also benefitted from those players being out, not just the Hawks. I could make a list of all the other good teams that have benefitted from key injuries as well. Other teams have benefitted from Smith being out for 12 games as well. It works both ways.

No.

My point is that EVERY other team that has beaten those teams have also benefitted from those players being out, not just the Hawks. I could make a list of all the other good teams that have benefitted from key injuries as well. Other teams have benefitted from Smith being out for 12 games as well. It works both ways.

That is my point. Some people only look at Smith's injury without regard to the injuries on the teams we played against. Just look at the first post of this thread.

That is my point. Some people only look at Smith's injury without regard to the injuries on the teams we played against. Just look at the first post of this thread.

I see your point. I tend to zoom through the long winded posts.

Charlotte - JRich

Milwaukee - Redd, bogut

Miami - Beasley

Denver - Nene

Indy - Dunleavy

Thanks for doing this. This deserves its own thread. I was thinking about making one.

Pacers also played Ford for a few minutes just to test him. We got lucky there. That was more important than Dunleavy not playing.

Bobcats got Diaw/Bell couple of days before they played us. They ran impromptu plays.

Don't forget Maxiell from Pistons. He has dominated us before.

I have never seen Hawks get this lucky in any prior years.

Isn't Magic out of their starting shooting guard - Pietrus, who had like a 20 point game last time? I'm sure they'll miss him. Who else can guard JJ? Jason Richardson? Their back court is too small.

Thanks for doing this. This deserves its own thread. I was thinking about making one.

Pacers also played Ford for a few minutes just to test him. We got lucky there. That was more important than Dunleavy not playing.

Bobcats got Diaw/Bell couple of days before they played us. They ran impromptu plays.

Don't forget Maxiell from Pistons. He has dominated us before.

I have never seen Hawks get this lucky in any prior years.

Isn't Magic out of their starting shooting guard - Pietrus, who had like a 20 point game last time? I'm sure they'll miss him. Who else can guard JJ? Jason Richardson? Their back court is too small.

JRich was traded to the Suns for Diaw/Bell.

I forgot about Petrius. Funny thing is that Petrius didn't guard JJ much the last time we played them. Bogans got the primary assignment.

I forgot about Maxiell too.

The Hawks have had their share of bad luck in the past so I don't mind getting some good luck. But some people are getting carried away with the Hawks record. They just had an 8 game homestand and had good luck with opposing teams injuries. They took advantage for the most part but are still only half a game ahead of Detroit for the 4th spot.

• Premium Member

That's not your point at all.

Your point is the same fear of success point you always have... You want some built in excuse of why we win. You can't even fathom that we're putting a good product on the floor every night. It gives your a reason to be negative. I think thus far, I've heard your excuses range from: our homestand, the injuries of our opponents.... What's next.. Luck? Broken Mirrors? Leprechauns? The referee crew?

Not all NBA teams stay 100% healthy for the entire season.

In fact, none do. Therefore, the bench players have to become

the starters until the injury heals.

Then, by this time in the season, many players are not 100%

healthy. They're playing hurt. Not hurt enough to keep them

out of the game, but enough to bother them.

So, Hawks have won some games with some starters out. Are

you saying that they would have lost ALL these games if our

opponent was 100% healthy? In fact, should we have won ANY games

this year? :no-no:

I don't care if they had to play their dance team / cheerleaders. A win

is a win is a win and I'm pleased with every one of them and want more.

GO HAWKS!! :biggrin:

:laughing5:

Don't look now... but Ex is promoting Luck as A reason we're winning.

Corrected

I believe the absence of Childress also plays a key role. We are much better defensively and a much better 3 pt shooting team. Our improved spacing is the main reason Bibby gets so many open looks even though he has been hot from 3 all year.

If the Hawks are going to take their winning ways on the road they need to do a much better job on the defensive glass and take better care of the ball. there is no way around it.

• Premium Member
Not all NBA teams stay 100% healthy for the entire season.

In fact, none do. Therefore, the bench players have to become

the starters until the injury heals.

Then, by this time in the season, many players are not 100%

healthy. They're playing hurt. Not hurt enough to keep them

out of the game, but enough to bother them.

So, Hawks have won some games with some starters out. Are

you saying that they would have lost ALL these games if our

opponent was 100% healthy? In fact, should we have won ANY games

this year? :no-no:

I don't care if they had to play their dance team / cheerleaders. A win

is a win is a win and I'm pleased with every one of them and want more.

GO HAWKS!! :biggrin:

Posters are starting to go a little over board with justifying Hawks wins! And in many cases these wins disprove previous statements made in the past projecting doom and gloom for this season. Good thing the Hawks' front office didn't listen to this message board during the off season! Now if we can just put our pride away and enjoy the ride, this message board would be a nice place to visit

Posters are starting to go a little over board with justifying Hawks wins! And in many cases these wins disprove previous statements made in the past projecting doom and gloom for this season. Good thing the Hawks' front office didn't listen to this message board during the off season! Now if we can just put our pride away and enjoy the ride, this message board would be a nice place to visit

Actually they may have listened to me when i was saying all last season that we would be better off without Childress.

I didn't have a problem with anything Sund did in the offseason other than rehiring Woody which i don't think was his call.

• Premium Member

Making excuses for the other team is nothing new for Exodus...

AND I will say now what I said then:

It don't matter if we beat Mello and his Mama.. If she was wearing a Nuggets jersey... then it's still a win for the Hawks.

• Premium Member
Corrected

I believe the absence of Childress also plays a key role. We are much better defensively and a much better 3 pt shooting team. Our improved spacing is the main reason Bibby gets so many open looks even though he has been hot from 3 all year.

If the Hawks are going to take their winning ways on the road they need to do a much better job on the defensive glass and take better care of the ball. there is no way around it.

Only babies and fools believe in Luck at this Level Ex.

• Premium Member

PB... As always, I think you miss the big picture. It's an 82 game season. All teams go through injury. Injury is just as much a part of the game as anything else. The players that are in the NBA are professionals. The practice, they train, they are coached.. etc. When a player goes down, it's part of the game and he is replaced by another professional. Most of the times, teams rise up when one of their players is out. Check out Utah. Check out us without Smoove (6-6). That does not take away the wins by other teams, nor does that take away from the professional that replaced the guy that went down.

Ex. is talking about Luol Deng and Hinrich for Chicago as if Chicago could beat us if they had a full compliment of players. It's sickening to see so called fans of this team try to detract from our wins by giving the other team excuses. As a fan, it makes me sick to see this practice done and supported. It's a mentality that needs to find a new place. Because it's not the mentality of a fan. It's the mentality of a troll. A fan cheers when his team is winning. So ex can talk about Luck all the way to the finals, but in actuality he will still be nothing but a troll.