• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Good Bibby Interview after Bulls game with Webber / Payton

coachx

I was going to put this in the Mike Bibby appreciation thread but was afraid no one would revisit that thread after 2 pages of giving him his, well deserved, props.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2...ibby_alink.nba/

What is the max you offer or match for Bibby next year. I love the front loaded contract thought for any one over 30.

Not your ideal salary for Bibby but the MAX you would match if another team makes us "JUMP."

The max I'd give is 4 years at $38 mill. I know thats alot. It would be front loaded:

year 1 = $11 mill age 31

year 2 = $10 mill age 32

year 3 = $ 9 mill age 33

year 4 = $ 8 mill age 34

Is that too much for your taste ? Would you jump to match if a team offered 4 years at $40 mill ?

• Premium Member

2 years 10 mil (that's 5 mil/year) with performance incentives (if legal in NBA)

remember you have to reup Joe real soon and keep in mind that Acie is clearly ready to be a star. Mike Bibby is a cute story but spending money on Bibby would be money wasted.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

2 years 10 mil (that's 5 mil/year) with performance incentives (if legal in NBA)

remember you have to reup Joe real soon and keep in mind that Acie is clearly ready to be a star. Mike Bibby is a cute story but spending money on Bibby would be money wasted.

So you would basically kick Bibby to the curb and put all your apples in the Acie Law bag ?

I like Law alot but to say he clearly ready to be star.............I hope your being sarcastic. Playing 9 minutes a game with scrubs on the floor with you makes it difficult to gage what we truely have. That is my main gripe with Woodson.

I rememeber what this team looked like before Bibby got here.....do you ? We were a 10 game under .500 team.

Rememeber Bibby is making over $15 mill this year. A front loaded contract that starts at $9 or $11 mill is still giving you $4 to $6 mill in cap savings next season. Then year 2 of Bibby's contract, (the time you re-up JJ), Bibby's contract would be down to $8 or $10 mill.....thats $5 to $7 mill in cap savings.

By the time we have to resign Horford in 2012, Bibby's contract would be in year 3 and down to $7 to $9 mill.

Do you really want to enter next season with:

Law 24

JJ 28

Marvin 23

Smith 23

Horford 23

That is scary young !

• Premium Member
So you would basically kick Bibby to the curb and put all your apples in the Acie Law bag ?

I like Law alot but to say he clearly ready to be star.............I hope your being sarcastic. Playing 9 minutes a game with scrubs on the floor with you makes it difficult to gage what we truely have. That is my main gripe with Woodson.

I rememeber what this team looked like before Bibby got here.....do you ? We were a 10 game under .500 team.

Rememeber Bibby is making over $15 mill this year. A front loaded contract that starts at $9 or $11 mill is still giving you $4 to $6 mill in cap savings next season. Then year 2 of Bibby's contract, (the time you re-up JJ), Bibby's contract would be down to $8 or $10 mill.....thats $5 to $7 mill in cap savings.

By the time we have to resign Horford in 2012, Bibby's contract would be in year 3 and down to $7 to $9 mill.

Law 24

JJ 28

Marvin 23

Smith 23

Horford 23

That is scary young !

We all know Bibby wants a max-deal. I wouldn't even waste the man's time. Tell him thanks for 1 1/2 years of good ball then let him do his thing for a team with $$$ and a realistic chance of winning it all. Hawks will probably sign a veteran PG while gradually putting more load on Acie.

Whether we like it or not Acie Law is the future!

Edited by NineOhTheRino

We all know Bibby wants a max-deal.

I seriously doubt that, and any way, it has nothing to do with what a player wants......as we saw with Smith last off season (he wanted 5 years at $84 mill but ended up with 5 year $55 - $60 mill deal). Its what the market says your worth. I seriously doubt any one offers Bibby, at 31, a NEAR max deal. That is for perennial allstars in their prime. Not a solid starter who has never been an allstar. This is especially true since in 2010 there will be plenty of max worthy players. Why offer Bibby the max when in a year you can throw the max at Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Yao, Dirk, JJ, etc.

I could see Portland throwing some money at him. They are the only team I see giving Bibby as much as $10 mill per. (But they just burned a top 6 pick on a PG / Bayless and have Blake who is a poor man's Bibby) .The Pistons just re-upped Rip Hamilton and LOVE Stuckey, for good reason. I see them focusing on replacing Rasheed and McDeysse for their front line. I think Dumars, the best perimeter defender of his era, values perimeter defense too much to get in a bidding war for Bibby. I would love for the Pistons or Portland to only offer him or 2 or 3 year deal.....that would be ideal for the Hawks to match.

The market will no doubt set the price, not the Hawks. The Hawks will wisely not bid against themselves. It will be a waiting game just like with Josh Smith. When the market sets the price the Hawks will react. Same with Marvin, ZaZa, and Flip.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member
I seriously doubt that, and any way, it has nothing to do with what a player wants......as we saw with Smith last off season. Its what the market says your worth. I seriously doubt any one offers Bibby, at 31, a NEAR max deal. That is for perennial allstars in their prime. Not a solid starter who has never been an allstar. This is especially true since in 2010 there will be plenty of max worthy players. Why offer Bibby the max when in a year you can throw the max at Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Yao, Dirk, JJ, etc.

I could see Portland throwing some money at him. They are the only team I see giving Bibby as much as $10 mill per. (But they just burned a top 6 pick on a PG / Bayless and have Blake who is a poor man's Bibby) .The Pistons just re-upped Rip Hamilton and LOVE Stuckey, for good reason. I see them focusing on replacing Rasheed for their front line. I think Dumars, the best perimeter defender of his era, values perimeter defense too much to get in a bidding war for Bibby.

The market will no doubt set the price, not the Hawks. The Hawks will wisely not bid against themselves. It will be a waiting game just like with Josh Smith. When the market sets the price the Hawks will react. Same with Marvin, ZaZa, and Flip.

hey it's all on the ASG now. Let's hope they're wanting to play big-boy ball now that the team is winning.

I seriously doubt that, and any way, it has nothing to do with what a player wants......as we saw with Smith last off season. Its what the market says your worth. I seriously doubt any one offers Bibby, at 31, a NEAR max deal. That is for perennial allstars in their prime. Not a solid starter who has never been an allstar. This is especially true since in 2010 there will be plenty of max worthy players. Why offer Bibby the max when in a year you can throw the max at Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Yao, Dirk, JJ, etc.

I could see Portland throwing some money at him. They are the only team I see giving Bibby as much as $10 mill per. (But they just burned a top 6 pick on a PG / Bayless and have Blake who is a poor man's Bibby) .The Pistons just re-upped Rip Hamilton and LOVE Stuckey, for good reason. I see them focusing on replacing Rasheed for their front line. I think Dumars, the best perimeter defender of his era, values perimeter defense too much to get in a bidding war for Bibby.

Nobody will offer old & brittle Bibby close to max money, but remember Bibby is unrestricted. We can't Josh him.

Portland lost much of their cap $ to Miles. Thank the Grizzlies again. They are doing everything to help us after outsmarting us in the 2000 blockbuster(Gasol for Rahim).

It was a fun interview. We can't survive without Bibby unless Acie becomes Stuckey, which he has every tool to become. What would Woody do without an offensive co-ordinator running the PG position?

• Premium Member
Nobody will offer old & brittle Bibby close to max money, but remember Bibby is unrestricted. We can't Josh him.

Portland lost much of their cap $ to Miles. Thank the Grizzlies again. They are doing everything to help us after outsmarting us in the 2000 blockbuster(Gasol for Rahim).

It was a fun interview. We can't survive without Bibby unless Acie becomes Stuckey, which he has every tool to become. What would Woody do without an offensive co-ordinator running the PG position?

hey I said the Wizards would be brain dead to re-sign Gibert. So lets not give these NBA GMs too much credit.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

I got the feeling that Bibby would rather negotiate now than after the season is over. I think in Bibby we have found the fire to Joe Johnson's Ice.. (A reference to NCSt Basketball for you young heads)... Anywho... I hope that we don't lose Bibs.

Webb said something about Houston. He said he was just joking, but maybe he was hinting at something. I was thinking he was.. and maybe Bibby would push for a SNT. IF that be the case, I hope for Scola but you can not deny the intelligence of taking either Artest or Battier.

Still, I just hope we can work out a deal for Bibs.

• Premium Member
I was going to put this in the Mike Bibby appreciation thread but was afraid no one would revisit that thread after 2 pages of giving him his, well deserved, props.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2...ibby_alink.nba/

What is the max you offer or match for Bibby next year. I love the front loaded contract thought for any one over 30.

Not your ideal salary for Bibby but the MAX you would match if another team makes us "JUMP."

The max I'd give is 4 years at $38 mill. I know thats alot. It would be front loaded:

year 1 = $11 mill age 31

year 2 = $10 mill age 32

year 3 = $ 9 mill age 33

year 4 = $ 8 mill age 34

Is that too much for your taste ? Would you jump to match if a team offered 4 years at $40 mill ?

Yep.. about 4 years between 32 -38 Million is about right.

I would try for 4 years 32 and have it be flat (8 per).

Webb said something about Houston. He said he was just joking, but maybe he was hinting at something. I was thinking he was.. and maybe Bibby would push for a SNT. IF that be the case, I hope for Scola but you can not deny the intelligence of taking either Artest or Battier.

Good point Diesel. I think Webb pulled a Mrs.Biden. (Biden chose VP over Secretary of State). Webb talks to Bibby and he wasn't suppose to spill it. Rockets seem to be an ideal team for Bibby's skill set. Can Houston pull a sign and trade next year? At least they are over the cap and can't sign Bibby outright.

Law 24

JJ 28

Marvin 23

Smith 23

Horford 23

That is scary young !

Assuming they are resigned, aren't Marvin and Zaza getting raises though? Marvin likely won't break the bank but someone will still pay some at least $7.5 million a season and Zaza is playing well enough to get a raise.

Assuming they are resigned, aren't Marvin and Zaza getting raises though? Marvin likely won't break the bank but someone will still pay some at least $7.5 million a season and Zaza is playing well enough to get a raise.

Good question.

With Marvin being a #2 pick he has been paid pretty well. He is making $5.6 mill this season. With wing players being a dime a dozen I doubt he gets an offer over $7 - 8 mill per.

But who knows ? The Warrior paniced after losing Davis and over paid for Maggattee. The Grizz and Blazers will have the cap room to offer more but are already over loaded at the wing position.

$7.5 mill for ZaZa..............I'm sure that is what ZaZa is hoping. I hope the Hawks don't have to make that decision of matching a contract that high for ZaZa.

Edited by coachx

Without him we would take a huge step back.

It was good to see him joke around and laugh.

You have to remember he and Weber played together. It was hard to read if there was something to his question or not. Weber was looking to the side like he was watching someone off the set. Bibby was clearly uncomfortable.

Is Houston looking for a gp?

Good question.

With Marvin being a #2 pick he has been paid pretty well. He is making $5.6 mill this season. With wing players being a dime a dozen I doubt he gets an offer over $7 - 8 mill per.

But who knows ? The Warrior paniced after losing Davis and over paid for Maggattee. The Grizz and Blazers will have the cap room to offer more but are already over loaded at the wing position.

$7.5 mill for ZaZa..............I'm sure that is what ZaZa is hoping. I hope the Hawks don't have to make that decision of matching a contract that high for ZaZa.

Wings are a dime a dozen and the Hawks would be able to replace Marvin's current production for less by signing a solid vet, but the Hawks would lose any upside Marvin has left and that upside (whether perceived or actual) will drive his price up.

I think $7.5 is too high for Zaza but there definitely will be teams willing to give him close to the full MLE, so he should be in line for a $1 million raise (and possibly more given the dearth of quality big men league wide).