• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Now's the time for Sund to shine. Vet buyouts.

mrhonline

But now the second transaction season begins. Over the next week, there are expected to be a number of players who seek their release or buyouts of their contract to join teams trying to make championship runs. Players released before March 1 are eligible to sign with another team and play in the playoffs. There is no deadline to sign the players once they clear waivers.

The Cavs would mostly be in the market for a backup big man, and already some options are developing. After making two trades this week, the Sacramento Kings released veteran big man Mikki Moore on Thursday.

Former Cav Joe Smith, who was traded to the Hornets before the deal was rescinded Wednesday, is expected to seek a buyout from the Thunder within the next week. Though reports have indicated the Boston Celtics will pursue Smith, a league source said if Smith can get a buyout, he will consider the Cavs. In December, Smith said he'd have interest in going back to Cleveland if he became a free agent.

In addition, there are some other names. The Cavs may consider Earl Barron, a versatile big man who played for the Miami Heat last season, as a free agent. Also, a league insider said on Thursday that veteran big man Robert Horry has not ruled out returning this season, and he has a relationship with Cavs General Manager Danny Ferry.

The Cavs have some advantages in seeking free agents. They have $5.1 million left from their midlevel exception, which is more than most of the teams they'll compete with, including the Celtics. The team has shown a willingness to use this fund in the past, offering it to Antonio McDyess when he became a free agent in November.

• Premium Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/stor...=PERDiem-090219

The trade deadline was Thursday, but there's another deadline coming up that fans should be aware of -- the March 1 waiver deadline. Any player waived by that date can sign with another team and still be eligible for the playoffs, making it an important day for contending teams looking to ink a veteran on the cheap.

If you go through the rosters of the league's bottom feeders, you can find buyout candidates lurking around nearly every corner. All of the players below have expiring contracts and don't seem to be in their team's future plans, which means if they take a buyout that pays a few dollars less than they're owed and re-sign for the veteran's minimum with another team, they still come out even or ahead on the deal. All of which should set up an interesting post-deadline shopping season among the league's contenders.

Among the players most likely to be both available and desirable, here's a top 11 of sorts:

Joe Smith: The most notable of the potential free agents is Oklahoma City's veteran forward, back on the Thunder after Tuesday's deal for the Hornets' Tyson Chandler fell apart. Rumors of Smith's going to Boston have been rife all season, and it's highly likely he'll reach a buyout agreement with the Thunder if he's still on their roster this Friday.

Mikki Moore: Of course, the Celtics might not have room for Smith if their rumored interest in Moore is legitimate. Sacramento bought him out on Thursday -- he had only $2 million guaranteed next season if he was waived by draft day -- and rumor has it that there could be a bidding war among contenders that have remnants of their midlevel exceptions left. That sounds bizarre to me -- Moore has been well south of average the past two years and at 33 doesn't seem primed for a renaissance -- but it shows you the desperation for veteran frontcourt talent.

Drew Gooden, Sacramento: The Kings would gladly take a discount to buy him out. Which makes you wonder if Cleveland would want him back to shore up its frontcourt -- they're familiar with him, after all, for better or worse. The only sticking point here is Gooden's groin injury, which might keep him shelved too long for contenders to be interested.

Chris Mihm, Memphis: Here today after a trade from the Lakers, and possibly gone tomorrow. It sure seems to me somebody could use a 7-foot big man with a soft shooting touch for the playoffs, even if Mihm has hardly played the past three years.

Rasho Nesterovic, Indiana: Another 7-footer who can make shots and has a championship ring; he's familiar with San Antonio's system from his time down there and would make a nice addition to the size-starved Spurs for their playoff run.

Bobby Jackson, Sacramento: A veteran guard familiar with the playoff wars from his previous tour of duty with the Kings, Jackson could answer Boston's need for scoring off the bench while Tony Allen is on the shelf.

Jason Collins, Minnesota: He doesn't score, he doesn't rebound; heck, he barely even moves. But you have to think some Western GMs have noticed how well he's defended Shaquille O'Neal in the past, and how useful that might be in a playoff series against Phoenix.

Sam Cassell, free agent: Already released by Sacramento, he's now free to pursue any deal that suits him. I'm guessing Boston is off the list, but perhaps the Hornets could find enough loose change in their wallets to take a look at him.

Jerry Stackhouse, Dallas: Unlike the others on this list, he's already on a playoff contender. But he hasn't played for the Mavs since the second week of the season and has only $2 million guaranteed for next year. Any buyout savings would effectively double for the Mavs since they're well over the luxury-tax line, giving them extra incentive to make a deal. However, word has it that Stack is going nowhere.

Chucky Atkins, Oklahoma City: Another player with only a partial guarantee for next year, Atkins is a misfit in the Thunder's youth movement. Given the demand for veteran point guards to fill out rosters at this time of year, Atkins could find himself beating away suitors should he be released.

Jason Williams, L.A. Clippers: Technically retired, word is that he filed for reinstatement with the league today. If so, the Clippers would likely reach a buyout agreement with him that could allow him to return to the Miami Heat, who are in search of a veteran backup point guard to help out Mario Chalmers.

• Premium Member

funny seeing Celtics being mentioned so many times.

I would assume we would be the 7th or 8th choice for most vets.

Guys like Moore or Joe Smith would pick the Cavs, Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, over us for sure. They would also probably choose the Magic, Nuggetts, and maybe the Blazers over us as well.

The only way we get a vet to sign with us is if they have a home or family in Atlanta.

Just my opinion.

Edited by coachx

I just saw where Okl City may release Sene. I doubt the championship teams will go after him. Sund drafted the kid. Maybe he is a possibility.

I would think if Nesterovich is cut he would go straight to the Spurs. They really need a big real bad.

Gooden would be nice. If no other team shows interest we may have a shot at him. However, I would assume Cleveland would go after him but if Cleveland takes Joe Smith instead, then maybe we could get Gooden.

• Admin
I would like to see us sign Sene. Take a chance on him.

Sene is a waste of time and money (even at the min). He is nothing more then a guy with size who will sit on a bench.

We need someone who can give us some good minutes at backup PF/C. I would love to get Smith or Gooden. I don't see that happening but Moore or Rasho would be great pickups too.

We don't really have a chance at Smith and Gooden. Moore is an interesting player. Rasho would be a big pickup. I am just not sure the Hawks have any inside track to get any of these guys.

As for Sene being a waste of space and money. He will not cost anything and we can make room for him. We waive Hunter or Gardner. Also getting him here will give us a chance to look at him and see if he can be a possible backup. We are going tie so much money up into our big name players. We are going to have to go this route in order to fill out the roster more than likely. Let get this guy in and have a look for the rest of the season. See if he can be a possible option. It is a no lose situation.