• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tommy Glavine might be out for an extended period of time...

mattlanta

They were talking about it during the game today against the Nationals. Glavine was pitching one of his rehab sessions in the minor league and he had to leave the game with a shoulder ailment... he was complaining of should discomfort.

Maybe this is the time for the Braves to bring up Tommy Hanson... but I doubt it. We might be seeing JoJo Reyes first before anyone else from the minor league (except Medlen).

One thing is for sure. We can't keep on relying on our four starting pitchers to keep us going for a whole month straight. We're experiencing a lot of success with them, but that fifth starter will be crucial.

Lowe

Jurrjens

Vasquez

Kawakami

Reyes/Hanson/Morton

As for Hanson, I think wherever we think he will get the most innings is where we should put him. 140 innings pitched in the minors will be more helpful to his development than 70 innings pitched in the majors... just my opinion.

Yup, Reyes was recalled. I think he'll be starting Saturday.

I knew we shouldn't have gone after Glavine. He wasn't impressive last year in the games he was healthy. I wish we had just used that money to go out and get a relief pitcher (could have resigned Will Ohman). Ugh.

Reyes is garbage

UUUGGGHHH

They've got to do better than that with all this so called "depth"

who would you rather bring up? don't say hanson because although i think he's ready, i think cox and crew want to make sure we don't rush him and want to see him at the AAA level more. morton is injured still. reyes dominates the minor league, he has nothing left to prove there. he can be a decent mid-rotation starter except he just has problems with control.

Patience with Jo Jo Reyes. Its good to have one lefty in the 5 man roation.

Plenty of allstar and Hall of Fame pitchers have had disaterous rookie seasons and even 2nd seasons.

Look at Tom Glavine and Gregg Maddux. They were TERRIBLE their first 2 seasons.

Glavine 7 wins and 17 losses, with a 4.56 ERA in his first full season.

Gregg Maddux had 6 wins 14 losses, with a 5.61 ERA his first full season.

We all know what happened after they took their lumps. It takes a while to figure things out and get your confidence. Even for the best in the business.

We still should have re-signed Will Ohman instead of signing two old veterans who could have been easily replaced.

Glavine can be replaced by Jo-Jo Reyes, Jorge Campillo, Charlie Morton, and Tommy Hanson.

And we could have played Brandon Jones (terrific spring training) over Garret Anderson.

Will Carroll on Glavine:

Injuries have context. There is no vacuum in baseball, aside from Ozzie Smith. Have we seen the last of Glavine? As the Magic 8-Ball might say, "things are pointing to yes." He has always been a pitcher who lived on the edge, both in the sense of pitching on the black and in adjusting to his declining physical talent over the past few seasons. While he never blew anyone away, the deteriorating physical skills did show up in his results. Now that Glavine's shoulder is acting up, he seems ready to hang it up. His career speaks for itself, and at some point trying to rehab becomes no fun. Glavine is going to give it a few more weeks, but it seems that the Braves are getting ready for him to walk away. They'll replace him with Jo-Jo Reyes in the short term, but sources tell me that Tommy Hanson's inevitable promotion is likely to come earlier than expected.

I just saw another reason to call up Reyes now instead of Hanson. Why bring Hanson up now if he's going to bumped back to the minors IF Glavine comes back in a couple of weeks?

The other issue is that the #5 starter doesn't get regular starts. A kid like Hanson needs to be pitching on a regular schedule.

Now if Kawakami keeps sucking & Galv retires, the Brave can drop Kawakami to the 5 hole and put Hanson in the 4 spot.

I just saw another reason to call up Reyes now instead of Hanson. Why bring Hanson up now if he's going to bumped back to the minors IF Glavine comes back in a couple of weeks?

The other issue is that the #5 starter doesn't get regular starts. A kid like Hanson needs to be pitching on a regular schedule.

Now if Kawakami keeps sucking & Galv retires, the Brave can drop Kawakami to the 5 hole and put Hanson in the 4 spot.

If Kawakami "keeps sucking"? He's been pitching pretty well recently and he's still adjusting to the MLB ball...

If Kawakami "keeps sucking"? He's been pitching pretty well recently and he's still adjusting to the MLB ball...

He's been a little eratic for me, but yes, you're right that he needs the adjustment period. Sucking was too hard a word, but eratic or inconsistant (as much as you can be in two starts) is probably more in line.

Nonetheless, Hanson shouldn't be called up unless he gets the #4 slot in the rotation or he won't pitch on a regular enough basis to develop properly.

He's been a little eratic for me, but yes, you're right that he needs the adjustment period. Sucking was too hard a word, but eratic or inconsistant (as much as you can be in two starts) is probably more in line.

Nonetheless, Hanson shouldn't be called up unless he gets the #4 slot in the rotation or he won't pitch on a regular enough basis to develop properly.

I agree with that. Tonight is huge, by the way. They have to stop the bleeding. I did not see that sweep coming.