• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The "go-Joe" offense..

pound4pound

The go-Joe Offense can actually work if we have a guard that can take his man off of the dribble. It seams to work when Flip is the center-piece, Joe can float around the ball for a pick and pop, and ZaZa is in the game for offensive boards.

It reminds me of the sixers team when AI went to the finals. Deke was the clean up man and everyone waited for Iverson to take his man to the hole or find the open shooter. Aaron McKie would always seam to be open a la Joe / Bibby. Ya Know Tyron Hill was on that squad and he is now on our staff as an coach - maybe he is running the offense.

The go-Joe Offense can actually work if we have a guard that can take his man off of the dribble. It seams to work when Flip is the center-piece, Joe can float around the ball for a pick and pop, and ZaZa is in the game for offensive boards.

It reminds me of the sixers team when AI went to the finals. Deke was the clean up man and everyone waited for Iverson to take his man to the hole or find the open shooter. Aaron McKie would always seam to be open a la Joe / Bibby. Ya Know Tyron Hill was on that squad and he is now on our staff as an coach - maybe he is running the offense.

Whatever scheme was in place last night, duplicate it. When Kenny Smith is giving the Hawks some love on their ball movement and unselfishness, then we must be doing something right.

I HIGHLY doubt that Woody has changed his offense one bit. The difference is execution. When the players execute what they are taught the offense is at least passable and when you combine that with the level of defense we're capable of playing we should be more like the team we saw last night than the team we see far too often.

It really cracked me up that Kenny Smith thought we actually did something different last night and in game 4. I can go back and watch game 1 and see the same damn thing from our offense and many times throughout the season. The problem is that we have players who either refuse through fail to execute the offense either via mental lapses or selfishness far too often.

I usually like Kenny, but as it pertains to the Hawks, f**k him. You can't watch Hawks games on Picture-in-Picture in a studio with Charles the Drunk yapping in your ear the whole season, and all of a sudden, you know how their offense works. Many of these "expert's" analysis of the Hawks are just knee-jerk reactions because they see the Oklahoma City Thunder more often than us, and it's just chic and bandwagon behavior to annoint Joe a superstar and rip Josh. It's the common knowledge, default assesment of the Hawks for those who really don't know what the hell to say because they've only seen us in the over-hyped Celtics games.

It did seem like more movement off the ball last night, but it has been the case all season with Flip and Joe on the court together. Flip simply does the things that Joe can't (dribble-driving, forcing hard contact, re-setting plays and attacking quickly with proper floor spacing, etc.), taking much of the thinking load of of Joe (not his strong suit.) Also to Bibby's credit, when he drives to the hoop and actually attempts a good shot, it takes our team to a whole 'nother level. While we could of course use Marvin and Al, the ball doesn't stick as much because these are two players who Joe is reluctant to pass to for whatever reason. Bibby looks for these two when they get post position. Joe thinks about it, and continues to dribble. With Mo and Zaza, there are a few more options, basically because they are two veterans with more streamlined games who Joe probably has more confidence in to make the best play, whether it be 15 pump fakes under the basket to get an and 1 from Zaza or waiting a split second for Mo to finish his off-ball move for his high-percentage shots.

Edited by benhillboy

There were a few differences in the offense last night. One of the keys was Josh Smith-he was finding open spots on the floor inside the perimeter and didn't hang out by the three point line as much. He made some very nice passes as well.

There were a lot of ISO Joe moments still-but the big difference is that when he attempted his signature runner in the lane, Miami was fouling because they can't play defense. The refs were blowing the whistle a lot, too, especially in the second quarter. And you could tell he was feeling his shot after going 1-7 to start the game-he hit like 4 straight and didn't miss a free throw until the second half.

But here's the big difference-how many times did you see Bibby go inside last night? It was many more than I've seen in any game this series. He was coming of screens, cutting through the lane-he even converted a very Duncan-esque hook shot. It's about the only game I can remember where Bibby has had a huge offensive impact without taking a lot of threes. He was the beneficiary of a lot of Josh and Joe's assists. Many of us have wondered what this team would look like with a penetrating PG-Bibby gave us a glimpse last night.

That attitude seemed to spread around a bit. You saw a lot of back cuts and baseline screens, so it was definitely different last night.