• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin or Childress

pound4pound

• Moderators

I'm not going to try to make the case that one is 'better' than the other but the argument that Marvin can shoot with a defender in his face and can create his own shot is severely suspect. Maybe he can do these things in theory because he has good form but in reality he doesn't do these things. The only jumpers he shoots are wide open ones just like Chill did and rarely attempts to create a shot.

I like them both and think they are both good players, but we need to come to the realization that Marvin is a good pro but isn't going to be a star player.

I like them both and think they are both good players, but we need to come to the realization that Marvin is a good pro but isn't going to be a star player.

I think everyone is at that realization. I see him as Derrick McKey type of SF/PF hybrid.

I have not seen a post that says Marvin will be a star. If I did run across one I would just ignore it and not remember it though.

Uhm... What kind of minutes can Marvin give you at PF? Honestly, I don't seem to ever remember him playing the position?

I stopped reading your post right there.

Either you are lieing or you did not watch any Hawks games the last few years.

Done waisting my time with you.

I wish we could have both back, but if I had to choose one, it would be Marvin over Childress. My reasoning: the 2 games that Joe missed and Marvin was asked to be our primary scorer, Marvin stepped up. Those games showed a lot about what Marvin could possibly do if he was given more priority as a scorer (on our team he fell behind Joe, Bibs, and J Smoove usually). Dude got to the line more than 25 times in those two games and I think he dropped over 25 points in each game (i'm too lazy to look this up but am just going based on what I think i remember). I know its a small sample, but could Childress ever do that for us? I don't think so. Remember, the Denver game (in Denver) where Carmelo was on fire and talking s*** to Marvin and the rest of our team. Marvin didn't back down...he came right back at him and got us back in the game. Dude has the fire in him...unfortunately, he's also such a team guy (some call it coach-able), we need a coaching staff that can bring that fire out of him more often. Unfortunately, our coach is a moron when it comes to utilizing our players' strengths and doesn't know how to bring out the best in Marvin on a daily basis. I bet if the Bobcats picked up Marvin and Larry Brown got to work w/ him, Marvin would be dropping 20 points/game. LB would get him running around off picks and just drilling that midrange jumper all night ala Rip.

Also, I think Marvin's perimeter D is very underrated. Our last game told me a lot about Marvin. He came out scraping and clawing against LeBron, and really set the tone for us defensively. He didn't back down and really stepped up the to the challenge of guarding LBJ after he was inserted back as the starter. I remember him diving for looseballs on multiple occasions in that first quarter, getting in the passing lane, and just playing with a lot of energy on D. It seemed like whenever LeBron was shooting a jumper, Marvin was bothering him. There was an out of bounds play where the Cavs had a short shot clock and they tried to throw an out of bounds alley-oop to LeBron. Earlier in the series, when Evans was on him on a play similar to this, LeBron caught the ball and slammed it. However, this time Marvin got up and using his athleticism and his reach, was able get his hands on the ball and cause a turnover. There was another play near the sidelines where Marvin went diving head first for a looseball. His jumper was off (expectedly-dude did have a hand injury for over 2 weeks and if it was the regular season probably wouldn't be playing) and he wasn't himself on O, but defensively, he gave a great effort.

I'm kind of scared to think about losing a guy like this. I really think if utilized correctly, he could become what everyone expected him to be when he was drafted. I really wonder if Marvin isn't as good as everyone thought he would be or is it the coaching that has held him back? Would CP3 be the same player playing for Woody? I'm not so sure. I know he would be good but would he be the best point guard in the NBA playing for our coach? I really really dont think he would be.

I wish we could have both back, but if I had to choose one, it would be Marvin over Childress. My reasoning: the 2 games that Joe missed and Marvin was asked to be our primary scorer, Marvin stepped up. Those games showed a lot about what Marvin could possibly do if he was given more priority as a scorer (on our team he fell behind Joe, Bibs, and J Smoove usually). Dude got to the line more than 25 times in those two games and I think he dropped over 25 points in each game (i'm too lazy to look this up but am just going based on what I think i remember). I know its a small sample, but could Childress ever do that for us? I don't think so. Remember, the Denver game (in Denver) where Carmelo was on fire and talking s*** to Marvin and the rest of our team. Marvin didn't back down...he came right back at him and got us back in the game. Dude has the fire in him...unfortunately, he's also such a team guy (some call it coach-able), we need a coaching staff that can bring that fire out of him more often. Unfortunately, our coach is a moron when it comes to utilizing our players' strengths and doesn't know how to bring out the best in Marvin on a daily basis. I bet if the Bobcats picked up Marvin and Larry Brown got to work w/ him, Marvin would be dropping 20 points/game. LB would get him running around off picks and just drilling that midrange jumper all night ala Rip.

Also, I think Marvin's perimeter D is very underrated. Our last game told me a lot about Marvin. He came out scraping and clawing against LeBron, and really set the tone for us defensively. He didn't back down and really stepped up the to the challenge of guarding LBJ after he was inserted back as the starter. I remember him diving for looseballs on multiple occasions in that first quarter, getting in the passing lane, and just playing with a lot of energy on D. It seemed like whenever LeBron was shooting a jumper, Marvin was bothering him. There was an out of bounds play where the Cavs had a short shot clock and they tried to throw an out of bounds alley-oop to LeBron. Earlier in the series, when Evans was on him on a play similar to this, LeBron caught the ball and slammed it. However, this time Marvin got up and using his athleticism and his reach, was able get his hands on the ball and cause a turnover. There was another play near the sidelines where Marvin went diving head first for a looseball. His jumper was off (expectedly-dude did have a hand injury for over 2 weeks and if it was the regular season probably wouldn't be playing) and he wasn't himself on O, but defensively, he gave a great effort.

I'm kind of scared to think about losing a guy like this. I really think if utilized correctly, he could become what everyone expected him to be when he was drafted. I really wonder if Marvin isn't as good as everyone thought he would be or is it the coaching that has held him back? Would CP3 be the same player playing for Woody? I'm not so sure. I know he would be good but would he be the best point guard in the NBA playing for our coach? I really really dont think he would be.

Good post, I think you should post a little more... Also Chillz took money over his family(team)... That's how Marvin calls his team mates.... We don't know if Marvin will, but as of right now Marvin is the man...

I can't picture anybody in their right mind taking Chillz over Marvin... I would only take Chillz over Marvin if he was was significantly cheaper than Marvin... Also Marvin seems to have a lot of fans in Philips... When he returned from that back injury there was a standing ovation for him.... Maybe people that watch him up close know a little something like maybe run some damn plays for him??

Good post, I think you should post a little more... Also Chillz took money over his family(team)... That's how Marvin calls his team mates.... We don't know if Marvin will, but as of right now Marvin is the man...

I can't picture anybody in their right mind taking Chillz over Marvin... I would only take Chillz over Marvin if he was was significantly cheaper than Marvin... Also Marvin seems to have a lot of fans in Philips... When he returned from that back injury there was a standing ovation for him.... Maybe people that watch him up close know a little something like maybe run some damn plays for him??

Thanks! I don't post much but I read everything on here and have been for a few years. I'm as hardcore about the Hawks as you can get. Been a loyal fan since the early 90s...even in the 13 win season, I watched most of the team's games over the internet (living as a student in NY at that time and too broke to get NBA TV so had to use a friend's pw to watch online!)

I haven't posted much but plan to get much more active now that I'm finally finishing up with dental school.

Thanks! I don't post much but I read everything on here and have been for a few years. I'm as hardcore about the Hawks as you can get. Been a loyal fan since the early 90s...even in the 13 win season, I watched most of the team's games over the internet (living as a student in NY at that time and too broke to get NBA TV so had to use a friend's pw to watch online!)

I haven't posted much but plan to get much more active now that I'm finally finishing up with dental school.

That's good to hear since there is many "fans" on here just to kill their work time... lol

I can't hate on Childress for doing what he did. Its a business and he did what was best for him financially. However, our front office screwed dude over too....they could have showed him a little more love and been a little more active in the negotiations with him. If I remember correctly, I think Childress felt disrespected because the organization didn't really reach out to him when the free agent signing period started. They were really passive and didn't really make him feel important. I think he would have settled for less money if the negotiations were handled a little better.

I would love to have him back. Mo Evans was a bargain, but there's too many games where he does absolutely NOTHING. Chill always seemed to make an impact in some way. He was our 'baseline bum' that could score w/out any plays called for him. On occasions, he could post smaller players and use that quick spin to get a layup. He was money from the line. His ugly set shot 3 pointer would go in half the time if anybody ever drove to the middle and kicked it out to him in the corner. His defense wasn't too shabby either w/ those crazy long arms of his. And plus he was one of the original members of "The Highlight Factory!!!!" (not that that has anything to do w/ winning games). He was one of those guys that every contending team needs and most championship teams have. Like its been said many times before, San Antonio would be slobbering all a guy like him.

I would definitely love to have him back but of course the price is gotta be right. And a part of me feels like theres a possibility that he may come back. It seems like his first few interviews when he went to Greece had a very different tone from the ones I see him in now. He seemed a lot happier than and now it seems like the experience has worn on him. There seems more doubt in his voice now. He just may have realized that perhaps he really does like playing in a raucous Phillips, closer to home, and in his native country, even if its for a few million less- better than some foreign land where he really didn't meet people's expectations of him. Perhaps, time has healed those wounds that the organization created when they showed him no recognition last summer.

Sometimes its not about being a better player - it is about being a better piece. Marvin is a fine player that in some ways has a more superior skill set than Josh. What Chillz brings to the table is a high BBIQ - which means offensive rebounding, not committing offensive fouls, not walking, taking a charge, help defense, boxing out, getting open on the wing, interior passing, backing down a smaller player, not getting switched on a bigger player, and setting up a play. (If we did set up plays)

I can't hate on Childress for doing what he did. Its a business and he did what was best for him financially. However, our front office screwed dude over too....they could have showed him a little more love and been a little more active in the negotiations with him. If I remember correctly, I think Childress felt disrespected because the organization didn't really reach out to him when the free agent signing period started. They were really passive and didn't really make him feel important. I think he would have settled for less money if the negotiations were handled a little better. ....

Yep U...bottom line...JChillz is a better basketball player than Marvin, Marvin can make a freed up jumper and can D up. Chillz can do much more on the court. Toss skill sets - Chillz is simply a better 3. He is a crunch time player - Marvin gets that invis about him.

My line up next year would be

PG - new guy after the blockbuster trade with JJ/Bibby...maybe JJack

SG - Smoove

SF - Chillz (or reverse em)

PF - Al Horford

Center - new guy we got from the trade

top subs - Zaza (if we can keep him)...Mo...Acie...extras...

Edited by DJlaysitup

Yep U...bottom line...JChillz is a better basketball player than Marvin, Marvin can make a freed up jumper and can D up. Chillz can do much more on the court. Toss skill sets - Chillz is simply a better 3. He is a crunch time player - Marvin gets that invis about him.

My line up next year would be

PG - new guy after the blockbuster trade with JJ/Bibby...maybe JJack

SG - Smoove

SF - Chillz (or reverse em)

PF - Al Horford

Center - new guy we got from the trade

top subs - Zaza (if we can keep him)...Mo...Acie...extras...

After seeing that you have Smoove (or Chillz) at freakin SHOOTING guard, I can't even pay attention to the rest of your post. I seriously hope you're joking! Either that or Billy Knight jacked your computer and posted a message under your name!

After seeing that you have Smoove (or Chillz) at freakin SHOOTING guard, I can't even pay attention to the rest of your post. I seriously hope you're joking! Either that or Billy Knight jacked your computer and posted a message under your name!

With that patch on his eye maybe he just can't see too well.

Chillz = Better ball handler.

Chillz = more agressive.

Chillz = Better BBIQ.

Chillz = Better rebounder.

Chillz = More efficient scorer.

Chillz = better passer.

Chillz can play Point forward.

Chillz = cheaper.

Chillz = Euro disappointment

Chillz = not getting the NBA money he already turned down

Chillz = goner