• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks reportedly shopping Smoove

txsting

• Moderators

I think he is wrong on both counts.

I read Whitaker's further explanation of the "no-trade" effect of the kicker to be an explanation for why Smith couldn't be traded without his consent in practice. Further, he is right about the 1 year.

See Question 85 of Coon's FAQ for circumstances under which a player cannot be traded:

For one year after exercising the right of first refusal to keep a restricted free agent (however, the player can consent to a trade to any team except the team that tried to sign him).

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q85

I think you are right about the August date being wrong, though:

A player remains a base year player for six months, or until June 30, whichever comes later. When trading a base year player, the salary used for comparison is the player's previous salary, or 50% of the first-year salary in his new contract, whichever is greater

My read is that Josh Smith is no longer a BYC player after June 30, 2009.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horf bashing First responder said....

This is your first post in the thread.

Predictably, you only posted to run a big bash on Horf. Saying that Horf needs a goto move and saying that he is the Eddie House of Centers having NO 1 on 1 game to speak of (not off) is two different things First responder.

Yet again you show that you don't understand English, pulling a post from page 5 of this thread.

Here is a thread you started specifically about Horford.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index....&hl=Horford

So where was my response in this thread?

Here is another thread you started.

I think that's the thing... I think a lot of us like Horford but we have to measure this beyond Personality. Horford has a wonderful Personality. If I had a niece his age, I would like to see her dating him. He's young and refreshing. He's very likable. But on the court... What does he do? Rebound? Defend a bit? He's not a great defensive player. He's doesn't have a goto move. He doesn't dribble well. So on the court, what is it about Horford that makes many Hawks fans lose their minds when his name come up for trades? Is it just because he's likable and he's got prototypical PF size (even though with Smoove here, he will never play PF)?

Let's unearth some truth today!

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index....&hl=Horford

I say again where was my response?

Pretty sad that you continually have to make up lies to try to form an argument.

You could do a trade for Smith during the draft and wait till July 1st before it becomes official, this used to happen all the time.

This arguement of the Hawks should have signed Smith quicker and just given him 1 or 2 mill more per year is crazy ! You guys obviously are not business people.

Paying Smith $1.5 mill more per year would have cost us Flip Murray last year, who only made $1.4 mill last season. We would have struggled to be in the playoffs without Flip on last years team.

Sund did an excellent job with Smith by not paying over market value for him.

I would agree with this if we weren't trying to trade him (IF that's true). I'd have much rather payed a little over market for him, and lose Flip in the process, than be stuck with a player that I all of a sudden didn't want. Makes no sense.