• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anthing Other Than Drafting PG is a Failure

BusBoyIsBack

This is like the deepest PG class ever. With guys like Rubio, Jennings, Holliday, Evans etc.

Someone like Teague/Maynard (sp?) are sure to fall to us

This draft is a complete failure if we stupidly don't pick one of those guys

And honestly we should be doing everything we can to trade up for a guy like Lawson

Edited by BusBoyIsBack

This is like the deepest PG class ever. With guys like Rubio, Jennings, Holliday, Evans etc.

And honestly we should be doing everything we can to trade up for a guy like Lawson

I have looked at 5 diffrent undated Mock drafts today and all 5 have Lawson going to Philly at 17 :sad:

Take any young point guard and stick him in the Hawks system with coach woodson and he will suck. It will take a veteran point guard to have success.

Can we not draft a big and still sign a free agent point guard with experience? Yes we still need a point but we needed one before this deal. I look at Crawford as a shooting guard off the bench. A bit much to pay for a bench player but you are getting more than Speedy + Law which was dead money.

Hawk88

Take any young point guard and stick him in the Hawks system with coach woodson and he will suck. It will take a veteran point guard to have success.

Can we not draft a big and still sign a free agent point guard with experience? Yes we still need a point but we needed one before this deal. I look at Crawford as a shooting guard off the bench. A bit much to pay for a bench player but you are getting more than Speedy + Law which was dead money.

Hawk88

I agree Hawk88, the team is set to win now not 2-3 yrs and a vet point guard would be the way to go. Crawford offsets Speedy and Law's contracts. Crawford will add instant offense but I wouldn't view him has a starter. I would bet that Tyler Hansbourgh if on the board is the pick at 19 if not likely a point guard. Remember if you could move back into the first near the bottom there still would be a point guard left to draft.

The Hawk's are way to soft in the front court need a Kurt Rambis type who does the dirty work ZaZa won't be a Hawk and even if with him the Hawks still don' t have the toughness to compete in the playoffs.

Edited by thescout5

Resign Bibby and draft a young PG, IMO.

Yep.. and hopefully the young PG will be ready to step in as Bibby ages and approaches the end of his (new) contract. A better defending PG would be nice, too. It sucked to see Bibby benched late in games because he just couldn't keep up with his man.

Yep.. and hopefully the young PG will be ready to step in as Bibby ages and approaches the end of his (new) contract. A better defending PG would be nice, too. It sucked to see Bibby benched late in games because he just couldn't keep up with his man.

Bibby isn't a passing guard first point you want.Andre Miller fills the need perfectly until you find a young point guard to groom.Minnesota has 4 first rounders and I am sure other teams would deal a pick to the Hawks to pick up a point later in the first or top 2nd round. ESPN mentioned they think the Hawks' will concentrate on the front court since the Hawks acquired Crawford.

• Premium Member

Lawson/Maynor are the "safe" picks, Teague is the sexy pick for us right now. A guy with an outside chance of falling is Brandon Jennings but that chance is remote. With the addition of Crawford, there's no telling what Sund has on his mind right now. We can go in so many directions right now. One thing I'm sure is that Ellington is officially out of the picture as far as the draft is concerned.

I still think we go after Ty Lawson. He's the perfect PG for us.

STRENGTHS:

- Transition play

- True point guard

- Ability to create own shot

- Aggressive slashing mentality

- Ball-handling skills

- Excellent hands

- Ability to get in passing lanes

- Pressure defense

- Potential

- Unselfishness

- Work ethic

- High-level productivity

- Assist to turnover ratio

- Court vision

- Passing skills

- Incredibly quick

- Strength

- 3-point shooting percentages

- Ability to catch and shoot

(From DraftExpress)

If this Jamal Crawford trade talk is true then it's even a BIGGER failure if we don't take a young PG.

No excuse to not take one now since the learning curve can be a lot less steep with not as much pressure on them.

And the fact that we traded Law completely leaves us without any potential PG of the future.

And if we don't get one this draft, when will we ever get one. If we plan on competing in the future then we should not exactly have any top 5-10 picks in the near future. So this is by far the best chance of a talented PG falling out of the lottery.

Seriously it is incomprehensible if we don't take a PG

Lawson will almost certainly be gone by #17.

IMHO, it's Maynor, Jennings (could see him slipping), or Teague if you go PG.

However, I could definitely see the Hawks going for Blair or Hansbrough.

Agree 100%

One of the above names will be our guy at #19.

It all depends on who is left on the board.

Bibby isn't a passing guard first point you want.Andre Miller fills the need perfectly until you find a young point guard to groom.Minnesota has 4 first rounders and I am sure other teams would deal a pick to the Hawks to pick up a point later in the first or top 2nd round. ESPN mentioned they think the Hawks' will concentrate on the front court since the Hawks acquired Crawford.

We don't want a pass-first PG. (Unless, of course, by pass-first, you mean the guy who passes it first to Joe at halfcourt.)

• Premium Member
We don't want a pass-first PG. (Unless, of course, by pass-first, you mean the guy who passes it first to Joe at halfcourt.)

Ha ha. We should start telling fans of other teams that we already have a pass-first team. Who needs another one?

Lawson will almost certainly be gone by #17.

IMHO, it's Maynor, Jennings (could see him slipping), or Teague if you go PG.

However, I could definitely see the Hawks going for Blair or Hansbrough.

I think if those guys are left on the board, are draft board would be:

Blair

The Bro (that's his nickname among UNC peeps lol)

Teague

I get the feeling that Woody wants no part of the Crawford trade. I get the feeling Sund doesnt care and will also draft a young pg and expect him to actually be developed.I get the feeling this may be Woody's last season here. Im a Woodson fan but I cant see him just letting Crawford come in here and not pay d. They should have a real fun to watch relationship, lol.

You know, if Lawson slips to #15, I wonder if Detroit would swap that pick for the #19+#47?

Maybe if Mullins is already gone by 15? Lawson is fast man. He is going to get vthe ball up the court with Smoove, Marv and Al. If we need to give up our 2nd to make sure we get him instead of Teague thats fine with me. Plus Im going to the draft so that will mean I dont have to hang around for round 2 :beer: