• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou's Twitter: Hawks thinking about a big fish?

NowYouKnow

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

The timing suggests that he's talking about free agency. Given our salary cap limits, I don't know how that would work. Otoh, perhaps Chilz or Marvin or both are being dangled for some big fish? Who?

In terms of big signings, I'd be happy with Jason Kidd because I believe Jeff Teague mentioned him as being a role model of his and how much he'd love to be mentored by someone like him. He said this before being drafted by the Hawks after one of his workouts I believe. I'd also be happy with Ron Artest because he'd be perfect to match with Joe Johnson. I'd like to see Marvin Williams back too, but at the right price. I don't think we should pay him as much as we paid Josh Smith last year.

Some medium-hot signings would obviously include Zaza Pachulia or Marcin Gortat. And then add on to the big man rotation with the signings of David Andersen or Chris Wilcox. In terms of flashy re-signings, I think we could look at Josh Childress. He's not the most exciting player to watch on the court, but he simply gets the job done on or off the bench. He will not be demanding as much money as those on the top will. I'd also bring Mike Bibby back at the right price. Or maybe Andre Miller?

Some under-the-radar signings would include someone like Jeff Adreian or some other undrafted free agent.

Edited by Libid21

• Premium Member

Leaving the pond for big fish suggests to me big names.

Kidd, check.

Artest, I've read, is still committed to working something out in HOU regardless of Yao.

I'm also made to wonder how big a retreat we're going to see in salaries, and for that matter, the degree to which players are going to be more willing to take shorter contracts on the basis of hopes for a recovered economy in 1 or 2 or 3 years.

• Premium Member

Truthfully, what does it hurt Sund to put out conservative offers out there, particularly to Kidd, Miller, Rasheed, etc.? Given a moment to pause and think about it, he might as well run the net in the deep water... he sure doesn't want to be caught fishing in the local pond exclusively only to find that others have poached his territory. Then again, he's bound to be somewhat serious about it, since we've heard him now on at least two occasions talk about the need to close the gap with the teams in front of us, and just how large that gap is.

When I first read the title of this thread I thought they meant Hawks were thinking big as in big men...like a 7 footer..but maybe its a big star who knows.. :hush:

In terms of big signings, I'd be happy with Jason Kidd because I believe Jeff Teague mentioned him as being a role model of his and how much he'd love to be mentored by someone like him. He said this before being drafted by the Hawks after one of his workouts I believe. I'd also be happy with Ron Artest because he'd be perfect to match with Joe Johnson. I'd like to see Marvin Williams back too, but at the right price. I don't think we should pay him as much as we paid Josh Smith last year.

Some medium-hot signings would obviously include Zaza Pachulia or Marcin Gortat. And then add on to the big man rotation with the signings of David Andersen or Chris Wilcox. In terms of flashy re-signings, I think we could look at Josh Childress. He's not the most exciting player to watch on the court, but he simply gets the job done on or off the bench. He will not be demanding as much money as those on the top will. I'd also bring Mike Bibby back at the right price. Or maybe Andre Miller?

Some under-the-radar signings would include someone like Jeff Adreian or some other undrafted free agent.

id love to get artest, then we dont need marvin and artest's defense speaks for itself, plus he can score with the best of them

id love to get artest, then we dont need marvin and artest's defense speaks for itself, plus he can score with the best of them

Artest is woefully overrated. He put up a worse PER than Marvin. His defense is still solid because he has that reputation and is allowed to body other players by the refs but he is terribly inefficient on offense, shoots wildly, over dribbles, breaks plays and just generally freelances. Add in his attitude and it's hard to reel him in especially seeing as Joe is not a big enough star or vocal enough for Artest to respect. At that age and price tag I'd rather go with the younger cheaper guy that is less likely to give me a headache.

• Admin
Artest is woefully overrated. He put up a worse PER than Marvin. His defense is still solid because he has that reputation and is allowed to body other players by the refs but he is terribly inefficient on offense, shoots wildly, over dribbles, breaks plays and just generally freelances. Add in his attitude and it's hard to reel him in especially seeing as Joe is not a big enough star or vocal enough for Artest to respect. At that age and price tag I'd rather go with the younger cheaper guy that is less likely to give me a headache.

Honestly, I think the 'PER' is overrated. It is not a true sign of how good a player is.

Honestly, I think the 'PER' is overrated. It is not a true sign of how good a player is.

But it gives you a sense of their efficiency which matters within a team. No stat is the end all be all of stats thats why you have to compare and contrast. Plenty of times people see big names and go gaga without actually thinking about fit or style. Alot of people are all up in arms about Crawford being a chucker, well WTF you think Artest is?