• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin may get his extension, but will he be shipped out very soon...?

HAWKS1986

The truth of the matter is that if we don't sign a big, Marvin is a guy we MUST RETAIN, because he occasionally plays the 4 at times. He's a pseudo-big for the Hawks, because of his size ( weight wise ) and his length ( wingspan ).

Whenever Horford or Smoove has gone down, Marvin has always gotten minutes at the 4. Whenever they get in foul trouble, Marvin is the guy Woody calls upon.

With the addition of Crawford, you could see even more Marvin at the 4 this year.

Fast lineup ( if Smoove or Horford is in foul trouble ):

G - Teague or Flip ( if re-signed )

G - Crawford

F - JJ

F - Marvin

F/C - Horford or Smoove

The truth of the matter is that if we don't sign a big, Marvin is a guy we MUST RETAIN, because he occasionally plays the 4 at times. He's a pseudo-big for the Hawks, because of his size ( weight wise ) and his length ( wingspan ).

Whenever Horford or Smoove has gone down, Marvin has always gotten minutes at the 4. Whenever they get in foul trouble, Marvin is the guy Woody calls upon.

With the addition of Crawford, you could see even more Marvin at the 4 this year.

Fast lineup ( if Smoove or Horford is in foul trouble ):

G - Teague or Flip ( if re-signed )

G - Crawford

F - JJ

F - Marvin

F/C - Horford or Smoove

Some people don't seem to like that lineup much because they think the only reason it works in Orlando is because of the post presence of Dwight. I see it another way, sure we don't have a post presence to draw attention away from the perimeter but we do have better penetrators than Orlando has. That lineup will be successful in spurts because there are so many perimeter threats that guys won't be able to sag off them, this would allow Teague, Craw and even Joe to drive one on one. If someone sags off the perimeter they are all decent passers to kick it out and if a big steps up to help they can dump the ball off to Josh for two steps and the slam or Horf for his 15footer. Just more and more wrinkles being added to Woody's offense......If Marvin is retained.......

Some people don't seem to like that lineup much because they think the only reason it works in Orlando is because of the post presence of Dwight. I see it another way, sure we don't have a post presence to draw attention away from the perimeter but we do have better penetrators than Orlando has. That lineup will be successful in spurts because there are so many perimeter threats that guys won't be able to sag off them, this would allow Teague, Craw and even Joe to drive one on one. If someone sags off the perimeter they are all decent passers to kick it out and if a big steps up to help they can dump the ball off to Josh for two steps and the slam or Horf for his 15footer. Just more and more wrinkles being added to Woody's offense......If Marvin is retained.......

I think most like that line up of JC / SG and JJ at SF for SPURTS. Most people would rather see Crawford off the bench and not starting. Its not the offense that worries people with that line up...........its the defense. We ran that same small line up a ton last year to close out games but we had Flip at SG instead of Crawford.

I think most like that line up of JC / SG and JJ at SF for SPURTS. Most people would rather see Crawford off the bench and not starting. Its not the offense that worries people with that line up...........its the defense. We ran that same small line up a ton last year to close out games but we had Flip at SG instead of Crawford.

couldn't have said it better, I like the thought of that lineup just don't like it all the time!

I agree with you 100%. It makes no sense to lock Marvin up so early. What has he done to deserve such treatment? If Sund is smart he'll let him play out this last year on the court. Now that is assuming that Marvin doesn't get another offer. If he gets another offer I would match but not a dollar over 5/40.

Marvin has had four years to distinguish himself and signing him to a long-term contract would be counterproductive and limit the team from truly finding a legitimate FRANCHISE small forward.

I doubt very seriously if any team would offer Marvin a contract (north of 40 million for five years)...

Former #2's in the whole draft shouldn't have to be pushed, but already self-motivated with the capacity to make a consistent impact on the court just about every night.

Whether it is his youth, ability to get stronger or overcoming injuries, there always seem to be something holding Marvin back. Four years is enough.

And people will use the injury-excuse, but in last year's playoff series, Marvin was afraid to shoot threes and when he drove to the basket, he got stripped multiple times and/or turned the ball over to Cleveland...I remember Woodson saying prior to the Cleveland series.."We need Marvin".. Marvin can be a difference maker, but its simply not there. It's a confidence problem and it's a talent problem to a certain degree. However, I hope just like Shelden, Diaw and others, let Marvin be somebody else's problem...

We should keep Marvin Williams and not trade him. He is a very productive part in this offense. He is a very solid player. I don't really see him having a "break out" year but instead becoming consentent. I would be happy if we signed him 5 yr 40 mill and he put up 15-16 ppg and 6-8 rpg for the next 5 years.

That lineup was Bibby at point, Flip at Sg, JJ, Smoove, Horford

I guess we should get rid of that guy Zaza Pachulia. He just wants to "fit in" and do whatever is best for the team.

We really should get rid of those types of players..you know, the "team first" and "fit in" guys.

What a joke of a post.

This isn't about Zaza who was not seen as a first round talent entering the NBA, but Marvin was...Zaza has overachieved and found a niche role as an occasional starter, but Marvin has severely underachieved.

And actually, the "joke" would be on the Hawks if they allow Marvin to stay as an underachieving starter (entering his fifth year) and paying him more money per year than Ron Artest.

We need "team first", "fit in" guys, but if their starting and were picked as a first rounder, HAVING TALENT and being able to have an impact on a game on a consistent basis is something that is required.

This isn't about Zaza who was not seen as a first round talent entering the NBA, but Marvin was...Zaza has overachieved and found a niche role as an occasional starter, but Marvin has severely underachieved.

And actually, the "joke" would be on the Hawks if they allow Marvin to stay as an underachieving starter (entering his fifth year) and paying him more money per year than Ron Artest.

We need "team first", "fit in" guys, but if their starting and were picked as a first rounder, HAVING TALENT and being able to have an impact on a game on a consistent basis is something that is required.

Yet again you show that you don't get it. The draft was in 2005. It has no relevance to Marvin's situation now.