PLEASE SIGN G. SILER!

y2kenta

I think there is too much optimism about Siler just because he's big. Some people think he'd be a match against other bigs for that fact alone yet seem to forget that those guys are big and skilled. I don't think Brad Miller is a good indicator of Siler either considering how skilled he is both shooting and passing the ball. I can't say with certainty that Miller came into the league with that skillset but I doubt he invented himself entirely while in the league. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Siler but once again the RandMo situation complicates the matter. I just don't see the need to carry 4 centers on a roster especially in a league (us included) that man's the C position with mostly athletic PF types rather than slow lumbering classic C types.

I agree about Miller. He was FAR more skilled than Siler coming into the league. Siler's only real skill at this point is that he is big. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Siler either but not at the expense of adding veteran depth to the roster. If we can have Siler in place of Morris, I'm fine with that. I just don't see carrying both.

• Premium Member

Simple. We have a roster to fill out and we only have so much money left under the luxury tax to get that done.

Bottom line is that the only way I see Siler sticking is if we completely whiff in our quest to acquire a veteran big man or if we are able to trade Morris for a 2nd.

Good grief! I am suggesting that we sign Siler not Shaq! Signing Siler will not put us over the luxury tax in fact it would save us money.

Simple. We have a roster to fill out and we only have so much money left under the luxury tax to get that done.

Bottom line is that the only way I see Siler sticking is if we completely whiff in our quest to acquire a veteran big man or if we are able to trade Morris for a 2nd.

Good grief! I am suggesting that we sign Siler not Shaq! Signing Siler will not put us over the luxury tax in fact it would save us money.

The Hawks have limited roster spots and 0 depth at the PF position. THey have very little depth at the Center position considering they big men in their division.

The Hawks can't afford to spend a roster spot on someone that won't play.

• Premium Member

The Hawks have limited roster spots and 0 depth at the PF position. THey have very little depth at the Center position considering they big men in their division.

The Hawks can't afford to spend a roster spot on someone that won't play.

I don't know of any team in the league that has a 15 man rotatation!

Assuming that we sign Marvin to the QO or close to it we only have roughly 6 million left under the luxury tax. I have to figure that a guy like a Joe Smith would get half of that which would leave us about 3 million and without the luxury of spending it on a 2nd big man that will never get off the pine. It would be much wiser to spend that remaining 3 million on someone that can contribute this year in case of injury. Probably one more big man considering how deep in bigs the elite teams are.

• Premium Member

Assuming that we sign Marvin to the QO or close to it we only have roughly 6 million left under the luxury tax. I have to figure that a guy like a Joe Smith would get half of that which would leave us about 3 million and without the luxury of spending it on a 2nd big man that will never get off the pine. It would be much wiser to spend that remaining 3 million on someone that can contribute this year in case of injury. Probably one more big man considering how deep in bigs the elite teams are.

Our current cap amount contains a number cap holds that inflates the number. Not only do we have Childress' cap hold but Solo's and west at a mil apiece so we probable have more than 6 million to spend. Hopefully Mrhonline can help us with the exact figure.

I agree about Miller. He was FAR more skilled than Siler coming into the league. Siler's only real skill at this point is that he is big. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Siler either but not at the expense of adding veteran depth to the roster. If we can have Siler in place of Morris, I'm fine with that. I just don't see carrying both.

That would be reasonable but if we sign Joe Smith we have a back up PF with vet experience Who else do we reasonable have a shot at that doesn't have serious question marks in there game. I don't think management would pass on a good vet for Siler but options are becoming scarce why not take a chance on a young unknown with room to grow his game if you would be getting an imperfect piece anyway. Randolph is young enough to get better(really hope he does quickly) And He and Siler give you two different looks of the bench.I know niether is very good but that's why its the bench just need them to play there part.

Our current cap amount contains a number cap holds that inflates the number. Not only do we have Childress' cap hold but Solo's and west at a mil apiece so we probable have more than 6 million to spend. Hopefully Mrhonline can help us with the exact figure.

No we're at about 56 million before signing Marvin. Signing him puts us around 63 assuming he takes the QO and the luxury tax is at 69.5 million so we only have roughly 6 million to spend. Childress has a cap hold but it won't matter as far as the luxury tax is concerned since we're not actually going to pay him anything this year.

So again with only 6 million to spend we have very little room for error here and need to make the most out of that money.

So then perhaps this scenario would work to finish out the roster, if it's not too expensive:

-Sign Joe Smith (PF)

-Sign Rodney Carney (SF)

-Sign Garrett Siler © for minimum

-SnT Solo to Indiana for 2nd rnd draft pick + cash considerations or just renounce his rights

-Either resign Mario West or let him go and pick up an old vet PG like Anthony Carter for vet minimum

-If owners decides they will pay for one more player on the roster, sign Othello Hunter as a 3rd PF

• Premium Member

No we're at about 56 million before signing Marvin.

Joe Johnson $14,976,754

Josh Smith $10,800,000

Jamal Crawford $9,360,000

Marvin Williams $7,355,165

Mike Bibby $6,000,000

Zaza Pachulia $4.500,000

Al Horford $4,307,640

Maurice Evans $2,500,000

Solomon Jones $1,030,189

Mario West $1,000,497

Randolph Morris $855,189

Total $61,785,434

I think that your numbers are a little off! if we eliminate the cap holds on Solo and West, we have over 8 million dollars to spend before we get to the luxury tax.

Joe Johnson $14,976,754

Josh Smith $10,800,000

Jamal Crawford $9,360,000

Marvin Williams $7,355,165

Mike Bibby $6,000,000

Zaza Pachulia $4.500,000

Al Horford $4,307,640

Maurice Evans $2,500,000

Solomon Jones $1,030,189

Mario West $1,000,497

Randolph Morris $855,189

Total $61,785,434

I think that your numbers are a little off! if we eliminate the cap holds on Solo and West, we have over 8 million dollars to spend before we get to the luxury tax.

Well the first problem is that you apparently don't know how to add, well either that or Excel on my computer doesn't know how to add since the actual total salary using the numbers you provided for the players is $62,685,434

The second problem is that you're making assumptions on the salaries for Bibby and Zaza. The only place I have seen their salaries listed is at ESPN and it has them at $6,217,617 for Bibby and $4,750,000 for Zaza. That makes the new total $63,153,051

The third problem is that you forgot Jeff Teague. According to Hawksfanatic his salary will be $1,373,880 making our new grand total for salary to $64,526,931

To see that listed out to make it a bit easier here it is:

• Joe Johnson $14,976,754
  • Josh Smith $10,800,000
  • Jamal Crawford $9,360,000
  • Marvin Williams $7,355,165
  • Mike Bibby $6,217,617
  • Zaza Pachulia $4,750,000
  • Al Horford $4,307,640
  • Maurice Evans $2,500,000
  • Solomon Jones $1,030,189
  • Mario West $1,000,497
  • Randolph Morris $855,189
  • Jeff Teague $1,373,880
  • Total $64,526,931

Now, with if I am correct that the luxury tax is $69,500,000 that leaves us with $4,973,069 to spend. Hope that helps you to have a better understanding of the Hawks situation.

• Premium Member

Well the first problem is that you apparently don't know how to add, well either that or Excel on my computer doesn't know how to add since the actual total salary using the numbers you provided for the players is $62,685,434

The second problem is that you're making assumptions on the salaries for Bibby and Zaza. The only place I have seen their salaries listed is at ESPN and it has them at $6,217,617 for Bibby and $4,750,000 for Zaza. That makes the new total $63,153,051

The third problem is that you forgot Jeff Teague. According to Hawksfanatic his salary will be $1,373,880 making our new grand total for salary to $64,526,931

To see that listed out to make it a bit easier here it is:

• Joe Johnson $14,976,754
  • Josh Smith $10,800,000
  • Jamal Crawford $9,360,000
  • Marvin Williams $7,355,165
  • Mike Bibby $6,217,617
  • Zaza Pachulia $4,750,000
  • Al Horford $4,307,640
  • Maurice Evans $2,500,000
  • Solomon Jones $1,030,189
  • Mario West $1,000,497
  • Randolph Morris $855,189
  • Jeff Teague $1,373,880
  • Total $64,526,931

Now, with if I am correct that the luxury tax is $69,500,000 that leaves us with $4,973,069 to spend. Hope that helps you to have a better understanding of the Hawks situation.

Forgot about Teague! But even if we use your numbers, we still have about $7 million to play with if we renounce Solo and West which is more than enough to sign a free agent big and fill out the rest of the roster with roster players like Siler.

• Premium Member

Forgot about Teague! But even if we use your numbers, we still have about $7 million to play with if we renounce Solo and West which is more than enough to sign a free agent big and fill out the rest of the roster with roster players like Siler.

By the way, the luxury tax threshold is $69.92 million

It's unlikely that we'll renounce players that we qualified offers to in order to sign unproven undrafted players when we know what we've got with the young guys in Solo and West already. The only way either of them won't be back next year is if we spend a lot on veteran FA's.

By the way, the luxury tax threshold is $69.92 million

Good to know but still changes very little. So now we have roughly 5.5 million to spend before we're at the tax and that's assuming Marvin doesn't get a raise above his QO.

How can he contribute less than Othello, or Morris.

Othello, Morris, and Speedy were dead men sitting.........

That doesn't mean we should look to sign that type of player though. And with regard to Hunter I think we'll see him get a little more PT this year and he has some potential to be a decent backup player.

I wouldn't mind Siler at all but I'd buy out Morris and use his spot on the roster to do it. I just don't see room on our roster to have both of them.

That doesn't mean we should look to sign that type of player though. And with regard to Hunter I think we'll see him get a little more PT this year and he has some potential to be a decent backup player.

I wouldn't mind Siler at all but I'd buy out Morris and use his spot on the roster to do it. I just don't see room on our roster to have both of them.

Indeed ^^^^

Hey, wasn't Othello just all the rage in minicamp last year?

I don't know how long this site has been around, but I wonder who y'all were high on this time last year (based on camp)?

Indeed ^^^^

Hey, wasn't Othello just all the rage in minicamp last year?

I don't know how long this site has been around, but I wonder who y'all were high on this time last year (based on camp)?

Good question, I guess it was Hunter and Gardner and of course Acie since he had a really good summer.

FYI Hawksquawk in this form (Hawksquawk.net) has been around for 7+ years now and around for several years before that during the Bravenet years. You can go back and read all sorts of things throughout our history such as:

Diesel's very 1st post here when we became Hawksquawk.net and you guessed it, it was a trade and interestingly enough my first post here was the 1st reply to this post. Link

Or if you're really wanting some reading take a look at our "Classics" forum - Link