• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

PLEASE SIGN G. SILER!

y2kenta

That doesn't mean we should look to sign that type of player though. And with regard to Hunter I think we'll see him get a little more PT this year and he has some potential to be a decent backup player.

I wouldn't mind Siler at all but I'd buy out Morris and use his spot on the roster to do it. I just don't see room on our roster to have both of them.

Apparently everyone doesn't think that Siler is better than Morris. Check out the link below to Micah Hart's blog about Hawks' minicamp:

http://hawks.portspaces.com/hawksbasketblog

He thought Morris one of the 3 best players in camp along with Teague and Hunter. His thoughts on Siler were as follows:

Garret Siler acquitted himself well I thought, though he's still pretty raw. His size is no joke, and if he continues to work on his game (he was a late starter, playing only one year of high school ball) he could definitely be an option because, as the saying goes, you can't teach height.

I'm not trying to say that Micah is a trained scout or that he is the end all be all of talent evaluators but he has seen more of Siler than any of us have that is for sure and he apparently thinks Morris is better after watching.

Edited by Traceman

Apparently everyone doesn't think that Siler is better than Morris. Check out the link below to Micah Hart's blog about Hawks' minicamp:

http://hawks.portspaces.com/hawksbasketblog

He thought Morris one of the 3 best players in camp along with Teague and Hunter. His thoughts on Siler were as follows:

I'm not trying to say that Micah is a trained scout or that he is the end all be all of talent evaluators but he has seen more of Siler than any of us have that is for sure and he apparently thinks Morris is better after watching.

i tell you, i WANT to give morris the benefit of the doubt and say he's back leaner and a different man...but i just feel that he's working hard because he feels its the right thing to do and of course because he wants a job but he doesnt seem to really WANT it. his facial expressions don't seem to show the desire.........of coruse you can't judge just by that and i understand this but this is my concern.............

no matter what happens with siler, i somehow want the hawks to have control over his rights...i dont know if we can do that by putting him in the dleague or something but somehow i want us to get this guys rights...because i feel this guy is going to really contribute in teh league before its all said and done....

• Premium Member

i tell you, i WANT to give morris the benefit of the doubt and say he's back leaner and a different man...but i just feel that he's working hard because he feels its the right thing to do and of course because he wants a job but he doesnt seem to really WANT it. his facial expressions don't seem to show the desire.........of coruse you can't judge just by that and i understand this but this is my concern.............

no matter what happens with siler, i somehow want the hawks to have control over his rights...i dont know if we can do that by putting him in the dleague or something but somehow i want us to get this guys rights...because i feel this guy is going to really contribute in teh league before its all said and done....

I'll take word of D-Scott on this one. D-Scott feels that Morris does not have the desire to be a legitimate NBA pro. And I don't think that's a shot at Morris but a real evaluation of a guy that appreciates the NBA but does not love the game of basketball enough to take that next step.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

http://hawks.portspa...hawksbasketblog

Just for the sake of us already having him under contract for this year and the likelihood that he's going to be on our roster makes me hope that Morris going to be better than Siler or at least better than he was last year, but I didn't see much that impressed me in that video. For the most part he looked soft to me but I hope I'm wrong.

After reading a lot of information (a lot from this message board) about Garret Siler I am surprised the Hawks haven't already signed him to a contract. Does anyone know if the Hawks are even considering making him an offer? He sure seems to be that BIG BODY that they could use when they some of the bigger centers in the league.

• Premium Member

Just for the sake of us already having him under contract for this year and the likelihood that he's going to be on our roster makes me hope that Morris going to be better than Siler or at least better than he was last year, but I didn't see much that impressed me in that video. For the most part he looked soft to me but I hope I'm wrong.

At this point he is what he is. They say you can't teach size but you can't teach desire and want as well.

My thing is.

The fact that we/reporters are talking about Kong vs Morris says a lot to me. For those who thing Morris is better than Kong, He should be. How long has he being playing Basketball?

The true tell of the story is that Kong has played very little B-Ball and he is coming up on Morris fast. Let me see, would I want Morris who has been giving a chance but still is showing very slow progress or would I want a 6'11" "behemoth" - (Woody's word for Kong) who is showing he has a fast learning curve?

The risk - reward is a chance I would be willing to take on Kong. I would say 2 years of training him in the NBA could be 3 to 4 years of training for Morris.

Oh, did I mention he would be much cheaper?

Guest Walter

My thing is.

The fact that we/reporters are talking about Kong vs Morris says a lot to me. For those who thing Morris is better than Kong, He should be. How long has he being playing Basketball?

The true tell of the story is that Kong has played very little B-Ball and he is coming up on Morris fast. Let me see, would I want Morris who has been giving a chance but still is showing very slow progress or would I want a 6'11" "behemoth" - (Woody's word for Kong) who is showing he has a fast learning curve?

The risk - reward is a chance I would be willing to take on Kong. I would say 2 years of training him in the NBA could be 3 to 4 years of training for Morris.

Oh, did I mention he would be much cheaper?

I believe this is the winning argument for Silar. Morris is never going to be a rotation player much less a league contributer IMO (or else he already would have been more than he is having been a McD all-american and playing at UK indicating good opportunities to develop) and he's simply too soft to have banger value as a big man. Silar at least can have worth as a fouler early on but more importantly, as you put it, the risk reward with Silar is simply much better. Morris may be "better" now, but he won't be by the end of this year if Silar is given ANY sort of opportunity to practice with an NBA team, much less play for one.

As far as AHF's argument, I believe being an art school, once 350 lber who didn't play basketball until his senior year in HS is precisely the sort of individual that COULD be passed on in the draft and (given his wt. loss, apparent heart, still overwhelming size and strength, etc.) still become at least an nba rotation player or even big time contributor. I realize he's no UK alum but to me he appears the anti-Morris.

W

W

Sekou said and I quote him directly "Siler isn't half as skilled as Randolph."

What that means specifically I don't know but that's what the man said after watching the Hawks Mini-Camp - and I asked him about Siler in the direct context of he couldn't be any worse than Morris, could he?

If the Hawks were going to give Siler an offer they probably would have done it by now, don't you all think?

• Premium Member

Sekou said and I quote him directly "Siler isn't half as skilled as Randolph."

What that means specifically I don't know but that's what the man said after watching the Hawks Mini-Camp - and I asked him about Siler in the direct context of he couldn't be any worse than Morris, could he?

Does he mean offensively or is Randolph a superior defender also

• Premium Member

There's no way any of these guys will get any playing time anyway, so it's kind of irrelevant. These are the people who have a chance at/will get playing time.

Bibby/Teague

Joe/Crawford

Marvin/Mo

Smith/Free Agent

Horford/Zaza

After that it's just a bunch of practice players.

I think that this discussion is to determine who would be better for the team in the future not just next year. And if we can find a diamond in the rough like Orlando did with Ben Wallace then we will be very competitive for a very long time with our young core.

There's no way any of these guys will get any playing time anyway, so it's kind of irrelevant. These are the people who have a chance at/will get playing time.

Bibby/Teague

Joe/Crawford

Marvin/Mo

Smith/Free Agent

Horford/Zaza

After that it's just a bunch of practice players.

I agree, other than having extra fouls against the bigger bigs. It is a matter of who has the most upside for the future????

• Moderators

If the team is willing to swallow Morris' salary and replace him with Siler I am 100% fine with that. Morris has always been too soft and I don't see any sign that he will ever be a player in the league.

My issues with Siler are more about there being little reason to expect any kind of contribution from him. I have a hard time accepting two players in Morris and Siler who fit that description on our bench.

If we are going to replace Morris with Siler then have at it. I just don't see room for more than one black hole project on this team if I was putting it together. I would rather have Joe Smith, Ben Wallace, Rasho Nestorivich, etc. types in the frontcourt after Al, Josh and Zaza.

• Premium Member

I would rather have Joe Smith, Ben Wallace, Rasho Nestorivich, etc. types in the frontcourt after Al, Josh and Zaza.

Sorry Nesterivic is gone, Joe Smith sounds like he is headed back to Cleveland and Wallace to Detroit.