• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Its official Solo is a Pacer! reported by realgm

JTB

Sekou said that he would have more information on Jones in a few days, and implied that he would be quoting Jones directly. I get the impression Jones wants to leave Atlanta, which is something I think the Hawks would accommodate.

It doesn't make sense to me that we'd knowingly allow him to sign with a division rival after growing him for 3 years without getting any compensation, which we cannot get now if he has officially been signed by the Pacers. And why would he want to leave Atlanta and be even deeper down the bench in Indy where they have better bigs ahead of him?

I have faith that unless we're in need of his salary that we'll re-sign him.

It doesn't make sense to me that we'd knowingly allow him to sign with a division rival after growing him for 3 years without getting any compensation, which we cannot get now if he has officially been signed by the Pacers. And why would he want to leave Atlanta and be even deeper down the bench in Indy where they have better bigs ahead of him?

It doesn't make sense unless we have someone else lined up to take his place that will get more pt. Hope that is the case.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It doesn't make sense unless we have someone else lined up to take his place that will get more pt. Hope that is the case.

Well we know who it won't be! It won't be any other the players below:

1) Chris Birdman Anderson

2) David Anderson

3) Drew Gooden

4) Antonio Mcdyess

5) Rashid Wallace

6) Brandon Bass

7) Big Baby

8) David Lee

9) Channing Frye

10) Theo Ratliff

11) Paul Milsap

12) Chris Wilcox

13) Lamar Odom

14) Charlie Villanueva

15) Anderson Verejao

16) Marcin Gortat

16) Louis Amundson

17) Rasho Nesterivic

18) Jermaine O'neal

19) Zydrunas Ilguaskus

20) Kyrylo Fesenko

I swear you guys assume the worst every time there is Hawk related news and I just don't get it.

I wouldn't consider Solo leaving a worst case scenario. I do like Solo alot more than Morris but we have bigger fish to fry.

Well Dolf apparently some of us didn't overreact, you were just in denial. :tease:

Solo is moving on at a time when the Hawks could use a big or two like him, which makes his departure for Indiana all the more perplexing. After all, he was a restricted free agent, due close to a $1 million if he had signed his qualifying offer (the QO was rescinded so he would be allowed to sign with the Pacers without any interruption). I needed an explanation and Solo provided one last week. “The Hawks kept it real with me,” he said. “They told me that my role was going to be pretty much the same as it was last year, and that I wouldn’t have a chance to move up and get more time unless somebody got hurt like last year. And I realize that’s just the way it’s going to be with Josh and Al [Horford] and Zaza already in place. It’s cool. I get a chance to go somewhere else and try and start over and see if there’s a chance to have a bigger role. The Pacers want me up there right away to get to work and that’s a good thing. I’m looking forward to the opportunity. But I appreciate the Hawks keeping it straight with me and not trying to sell me something that they couldn’t deliver in terms of playing time and opportunity.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/07/27/vacation-visions/

I wouldn't consider Solo leaving a worst case scenario. I do like Solo alot more than Morris but we have bigger fish to fry.

See the bottom of Sekou's latest blog reference the Solo situation:

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/07/27/vacation-visions/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Sounds like Solo and the Hawks came to an understanding that he wasn't going to get an opportunity to play more unless someone got hurt. You KNOW that he was going to be behind Zaza in the rotation based on the contract that Zaza got. I thought it was pretty classy of the Hawks to rescind his QO and let him pursue a better opportunity.

Well Dolf apparently some of us didn't overreact, you were just in denial. :tease:

http://blogs.ajc.com...cation-visions/

You still overreacted though and automatically assumed that he was gone when there wasn't (and still hasn't been) any official word from the Hawks.

And it's not like Sekou has a spotless reputation. Well we'll see whether the Hawks match or not.

And finally if Solo thinks he's going to get more playing time with the Pacers I think he's in for a huge surprise since they have a lot more front court depth that is more talented than him than we do.

You still overreacted though and automatically assumed that he was gone when there wasn't (and still hasn't been) any official word from the Hawks.

And it's not like Sekou has a spotless reputation. Well we'll see whether the Hawks match or not.

And finally if Solo thinks he's going to get more playing time with the Pacers I think he's in for a huge surprise since they have a lot more front court depth that is more talented than him than we do.

Well I assumed he was gone when it was reported that he reached a contract agreement rather than signed an offer sheet. He might get more time in Indy because all they have are Troy Murphy. Jeff Foster, Hibbert a second year guy who was shaky his first season, Hansbrough a rookie and McRoberts who is not better than Solo so they are really only set in one frontcourt possition with Foster being a definite sub. He could crack that rotation a lot easier than he could a Josh, Al, Zaza and even Marvin rotation whom we know Woody is going to play big minutes already not to mention the vet big we are looking at.

Well I assumed he was gone when it was reported that he reached a contract agreement rather than signed an offer sheet. He might get more time in Indy because all they have are Troy Murphy. Jeff Foster, Hibbert a second year guy who was shaky his first season, Hansbrough a rookie and McRoberts who is not better than Solo so they are really only set in one frontcourt possition with Foster being a definite sub. He could crack that rotation a lot easier than he could a Josh, Al, Zaza and even Marvin rotation whom we know Woody is going to play big minutes already not to mention the vet big we are looking at.

A contract agreement and an offer sheet are the same thing in this instance. The Hawks till have 7 days from the time he signed to match so he's not "officially a Pacer" now as this topic title leads people to believe. He wont be until the 7 days are up and the Hawks decide not to match.

Murphy, Foster, Hibbert, and Hansbrough are all more talented than Solo. They are just hoping to find a diamond in the rough with Solo and who knows maybe he'll shine there but I doubt he'll get the playing time there to do so.

• Premium Member

See the bottom of Sekou's latest blog reference the Solo situation:

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/07/27/vacation-visions/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Sounds like Solo and the Hawks came to an understanding that he wasn't going to get an opportunity to play more unless someone got hurt.

The Hawks are retarded! Other teams break their necks trying to acquire depth in case of injury , foul trouble or just so they won't have to run their main guys into the ground but not the Hawks. What is the harm in keep a low salaried big guy to give you spot duty? Its not like we were the healthiest team just last year. Penny wise bound foolish!

• Premium Member

Sounds like Randolph Morris just moved up in the rotation!

A contract agreement and an offer sheet are the same thing in this instance. The Hawks till have 7 days from the time he signed to match so he's not "officially a Pacer" now as this topic title leads people to believe. He wont be until the 7 days are up and the Hawks decide not to match.

Murphy, Foster, Hibbert, and Hansbrough are all more talented than Solo. They are just hoping to find a diamond in the rough with Solo and who knows maybe he'll shine there but I doubt he'll get the playing time there to do so.

NO source has stated that the Hawks still maintain the right of first refusal over Solo and if Sekou is directly quoting Solo I doubt he would be so candid if the organization had made any indication that they would match the offer. Sure Sekou can and has made blunders but to go as far as to say he is fabricating an interview would be a bit much.

According to Sekou, we rescinded our QO making him unrestricted. If that is true, we have no right to match.

After all, he was a restricted free agent, due close to a $1 million if he had signed his qualifying offer (the QO was rescinded so he would be allowed to sign with the Pacers without any interruption).

• Moderators

It is a weird story. Unless you have zero faith in the guy why would you tell him there is no way he moves into the rotation? So even if he somehow has a break through and starts dominating in practice he still gets no PT? what if he starts shooting 50% from 3? Nope sorry we set our rotation in August and you weren't in it.

The Hawks are retarded! Other teams break their necks trying to acquire depth in case of injury , foul trouble or just so they won't have to run their main guys into the ground but not the Hawks. What is the harm in keep a low salaried big guy to give you spot duty? Its not like we were the healthiest team just last year. Penny wise bound foolish!

The Hawks are not retarded, you are just being unrealisitc. Horford, Smoove, Zaza and Morris are already under contract. It is obvious that Sund intends to sign AT LEAST one veteran big man be it Joe Smith, Ben Wallace, Kurt Thomas or the like. ALL of those guys are going to be ahead of Solo in the rotation. If Solo came back here, his BEST CASE scenario (assuming everyone stays healthy) is WORSE than it was last year. Why not let the guy go find a better opportunity if he obviously is not going to get that here? We can sign Robert Swift, Shelden, Stromile Swift or someone of that ilk to do what Solo was going to do for this team.

All of the above doesn't even take into account that you want Sund to sign Siler. Are you proposing that our roster be as follows?

Horford/Zaza/Morris/Solo/Siler

Smoove/Joe Smith?

Marv/Mo

JJ/Crawford

Bibby/Teague

It is a weird story. Unless you have zero faith in the guy why would you tell him there is no way he moves into the rotation? So even if he somehow has a break through and starts dominating in practice he still gets no PT? what if he starts shooting 50% from 3? Nope sorry we set our rotation in August and you weren't in it.

It's not that they have zero faith in him but the writing is on the wall. He will NEVER get minutes at the expense of Horford or Smoove and how bad would Zaza have to be give up minutes to Solo when he just signed a 4 year extension? The reality is that Zaza is going to be the first big off our bench in most situations unless he is screwing up big time. I don't see that happening. In fact, even if we get Joe Smith, i think Zaza comes off the bench first.

• Premium Member

It is obvious that Sund intends to sign AT LEAST one veteran big man be it Joe Smith, Ben Wallace, Kurt Thomas or the like.

1st of all, how is this so obvious to you when the Hawks are not rumored to be interested in any of those guys that you have listed except Joe Smith who is a hybrid forward at best. Solo can swing over to center and be a very effective defensive center at times.

Secondly, aren't you counting your chickens a little early? Sounds like Joe Smith might be headed back to Cleveland.

• Moderators

On the other hand, we haven't had any confirmation from the Hawks that their QO was rescinded yet. Sekou reported it in a blog, so I don't know how reliable that is considered.

I consider that more reliable than Sekou's interpretation of the CBA. Rescinding would be an affirmative action from the Hawks - not something like a status under the CBA that Sekou would need to understand, process, and apply. Sekou's report could still be wrong but it seems like this is something that is either good information into him or bad information into him.

I believe we had an official article from the Hawks stating that they sent out QOs to four players this offseason, one of which being Solo. So right there is the official word that we maintain the right of first refusal. I might be wrong about who said we sent out a QO, but I definitely remember an article stating Solomon got a QO.

On the other hand, we haven't had any confirmation from the Hawks that their QO was rescinded yet. Sekou reported it in a blog, so I don't know how reliable that is considered.

Yes I understand we extended him a QO at the beginning of free agency but in reports of Solo reaching this contract agreement there has been no added report that we still maintain the right of first refusal meaning most likely we rescinded the offer. There wasn't an official release to begin with with all our restricted FAs recieving a QO. I remember the board going crazy when we hadn't recieved any news of such and it took one of the folks over at Hoopinion or THHB personally contacting a Hawks representative before we knew it was official. Now Sekou is confirming that we rescinded the offer which given your history with him I can see why you would be skeptical but I'm putting more weight in his quoting of Solo who seems very confident that he is out of here.