• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou: $64M extension being discussed for JJ?

Diesel

With his seemingly decline in play and overall poor performances I can't see giving a 5 year deal. 4 doesn't sound quite as bad, but given his performance in the playoffs it's hard to see him being a 16 million per year player. It's pretty tough... You can't lose him for nothing, but you can't cap your team out on a guy that under performs in the playoffs.

Which playoffs are you talking about? Last year I'll say that he didn't play very well but I'll say that may have alot to do with fatigue and injuries. But you're saying it as if this guy just doesn't play well in the playoffs at all, we took boston to 7 because of his GREAT play in the playoffs that year. O how quickly the typical hawk fan 4gets!

Get it done! I really believe Johnsons decline last year was due to Woody's ridiculous amount of minutes that he expects joe to play. Hopefully Crawford will get more minutes this year so Joe can be fresh for the playoffs when we will really need him.

16 million a year for 5 years? With the way things are going in the economy I bet he'll sign that.

Paying. It would be different if JJ's play had been better the last 2 seasons. But he hasn't shown the explosiveness that he had the half season he average 25PPG and shot 47%.

Yeah why should we give money to a dude that can do this?

We should save our money for when 38 year old Kobe becomes available.

Yeah why should we give money to a dude that can do this?

We should save our money for when 38 year old Kobe becomes available.

You can find highlights of even some bench players and say: Why should we give money to a dude that can do this?

The bottomline is that this team can't become a top flight team by borderline all stars superstar type of money.

Which playoffs are you talking about? Last year I'll say that he didn't play very well but I'll say that may have alot to do with fatigue and injuries. But you're saying it as if this guy just doesn't play well in the playoffs at all, we took boston to 7 because of his GREAT play in the playoffs that year. O how quickly the typical hawk fan 4gets!

He did NOT play well overall in that Boston series.

Career wise he shoots 42% and averages 15PPG in the playoffs. And those numbers were BEFORE this past seasons playoffs in which he played worse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=1007&year=2008

Outside of that 4th period in game 4... Most of the rest of the series JJ's play was decent at best.

16 per is good but really at this point the contract is in joe's hands. we can't give anybody of joe's caliber money because of the salary cap and if he's gone it's gonna take alot of work to make this team good. at the same time, there aren't going to be many teams on the upswing that will be able to give him money either. i don't think joe wants to go though another rebuilding situation. if he can sign for 16 per that's great, but if it goes up. the ASG might have to suck it up and give in.

I think this would be a great deal if it gets done at 4/64. That means we'll have Marvin, Smoove, and JJ for four more years to see how far that trio can take us. They have the highest upside of all the players on our roster.

I agree with others who say JJ's decline is due to Woody's insane minutes and predictable iso-Joe playbook. If JJ played even four less minutes and didnt always have to bring up the ball, I think his production would go back to the 25 ppg we saw when he was balling with Harrington.

Guest Walter

I would consider a 4 yr/$64M extension for a 3 time All Star SG in the prime of his career to be a bargain.

With only 4 more years this is a good deal for the Hawks. I wouldn't want to pay JJ $16 mil per any longer.

What happens when Horford's deal come up? That'll be interesting.

W

With only 4 more years this is a good deal for the Hawks. I wouldn't want to pay JJ $16 mil per any longer.

What happens when Horford's deal come up? That'll be interesting.

W

Paying JJ $16M at age 33 wouldn't be my preference either but if he doesn't sign an extension, that is what we could be faced with if we have to compete for his services next year as an UFA. As for Horford, he won't be ready for his big money until Crawford's deal expires.

Horford's next contract deserves it's own discussion. I don't believe he'll command any more than Marvin next year and actually an argument can be made stats wise that Horford doesn't deserve Marvin's deal. I'm not a stats guy though - I know a valuable asset when I see one. Horford is extremely valuable to the Hawks even when playing out of position. In fact that ups his value in my eyes.

My prediction - the Hawks will get a steal on Horford's next deal.

He did NOT play well overall in that Boston series.

Career wise he shoots 42% and averages 15PPG in the playoffs. And those numbers were BEFORE this past seasons playoffs in which he played worse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=1007&year=2008

Outside of that 4th period in game 4... Most of the rest of the series JJ's play was decent at best.

WHAT? I would go thru it game by game but you already have the link up there so there's no need. But you're right 20 4 & 4 isn't good for the guy who was the ONLY focus of the best defensive team in the league BY FAR. Against this same celtics team LBJ had 26 and 5. (thats 5 turnovers). Kobe had 25 5 & 5. JJ 115 fga, Kobe 131, LBJ 155! O and by the way Joe missed 3 fts the entire series. 3!!!!!!!!!!!! But you're right he really didn't do anything, we definately couldve did that without Joe!