Look who's talking

DrReality

You think it's a good idea for him to post things talking about getting pulled over by the cops? Call it slang, having some drinks in him, or whatever but he really comes off like a Chad Johnson there instead of what I've come to expect from him. Do you think Michael Jordan or Larry Bird or any of the truly great players of the game would ever write things like that? He just comes off as immature and illiterate to me and I guess maybe it's my fault for expecting more from him.

And I'll also say this, would you write something like that where you knew there was a GREAT chance that your bosses would read it?

Again, I ask you what is his track record? Has he been immature? Has he missed practices? Made stupid comments to the media? Dissed the fans? No. Give him a break. If how someone types on twitter, overrides a 7 year period of actual real life behavior as far as your opinion of that person, then I wonder if your opinion should be of any value to them in first place. The guy has been a good guy. A role model. And all he's really gotten for it is zero press, and zero marketability. Maybe he's trying to show a little something different..

..and I will add as a black male hanging out with other black males it is not an uncommon event for police officers in certain areas to pull you over just because you aren't dressed in a suit while driving that luxury vehicle.

Edited by sultanofatl

But, he has been accountable. Joe has never had any public issues come out as to date. Nothing. So what if he speaks slang on twitter and says he has some pretty foolish bets. He's done nothing, but be a model citizen his entire professional life. But, now because he is showing a little personality he gets the wagging finger from all of you? Shaq has said much worse. Dwight Howard has even had a few hiccups. Let Joe be.

My thoughts exactly. People idolize a little too much when they see an entertainer or someone with money not realizing they are people too and nobodies perfect.

Again, I ask you what is his track record? Has he been immature? Has he missed practices? Made stupid comments to the media? Dissed the fans? No. Give him a break. If how someone types on twitter, overrides a 7 year period of actual real life behavior as far as your opinion of that person, then I wonder if your opinion should be of any value to them in first place. The guy has been a good guy. A role model. And all he's really gotten for it is zero press, and zero marketability. Maybe he's trying to show a little something different..

..and I will add as a black male hanging out with other black males it is not an uncommon event for police officers in certain areas to pull you over just because you aren't dressed in a suit while driving that luxury vehicle.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world or that I don't respect JJ now or anything but it's ridiculous for a professional, especially one making so much money, to write things like that where his boss can read it. Agree with that or not but it's true. Do you talk like that? Would you want your children talking like that?

Who knows how or why he got pulled over, that's not the point, but why mention it on Twitter? It just seems like poor judgment on his part.

My thoughts exactly. People idolize a little too much when they see an entertainer or someone with money not realizing they are people too and nobodies perfect.

If one of my co-workers had posted anything similar I would feel the same way. It's just even more magnified with the fact that he's supposed to be an example to young athletes and that's something that like it or not comes with being a professional athlete.

no one is denying his track record...as a matter of fact, that's precisely the reason why i think a few of us are surprised and a bit disappointed. and no one denies that he's still a 'good guy' in a league with some bad raps. but if he really wants to show more 'marketability' as u call it, i can promise u this isn't going to help. what exactly is he trying to market?? his ability to bet large sums of money on tonguing a random chick, his ghetto linguistic skills?? please...

simply put, if JJ does really talk like that or is tryin to be something else with his boys...he's needs to do so with more discretion. that's all. i guarantee his agent or rick sund has an issue with it...esp if they are planning to extend him to a 4yr/65mil deal or so. and if u've noticed, he HAS been getting noticed around the league. what is it, 3 or 4 all star appearances? and quite a few commercials on top. and he'll get more...but not if he pulls tweets like this.

i'm starting to realize why the rest of the guys on our team dont really look at him as a leader, and how much more i love the acquisition of joe smith and the extension of bibby. and im not saying they dont speak or act like that off court...but at least they know not to make it public and are smart about it.

and again, i love JJ... i still think he's a decent guy. but hell what do we really know of these guys?? let's not let our obsession for the team overtake the fact that even some of our players could be pretty rotten people in real life. that's the truth, however much we ignore it or deny it.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world or that I don't respect JJ now or anything but it's ridiculous for a professional, especially one making so much money, to write things like that where his boss can read it. Agree with that or not but it's true. Do you talk like that? Would you want your children talking like that?

Who knows how or why he got pulled over, that's not the point, but why mention it on Twitter? It just seems like poor judgment on his part.

well put Dolfan

Of course it is very poor judgement. It is indicative why he is a Robin instead of a Batman.

Intelligence counts too.

All I can say is I'm not Joe Johnson. I'm not a an athlete, entertainer, hell even a politician. These people live in a different world than you and I live in. The whole "your boss" argument isn't reality. You nor I have a skill that we can parlay into millions of dollars. Nor are we able to achieve such proficiency at our given profession that less than 1% of the world population can consider us a contemporary. Well, maybe I should speak for myself. I see what you do with Hawksquawk Dolf and you very well might be in the top 1% of web development. :)

Of course it is very poor judgement. It is indicative why he is a Robin instead of a Batman.

Intelligence counts too.

Wow, Barkley was the king of outrageous statements. Number 1. Jordan had such a public indiscretion with his gambling some people say he was forced out of the league for a year. Number 1. Let's not be so hasty with generalizations.

All I can say is I'm not Joe Johnson. I'm not a an athlete, entertainer, hell even a politician. These people live in a different world than you and I live in. The whole "your boss" argument isn't reality. You nor I have a skill that we can parlay into millions of dollars. Nor are we able to achieve such proficiency at our given profession that less than 1% of the world population can consider us a contemporary. Well, maybe I should speak for myself. I see what you do with Hawksquawk Dolf and you very well might be in the top 1% of web development. :)

That's true that we don't understand his world but he's got to think that there is even more chance of his boss finding out about things like this than there are for us regular, uhh, Joe's. Not to mention potential endorsements like from Nike, Gatorade, etc. Why would they want to hitch their wagon to Joe Johnson if he's out there writing stuff like this? I think I've said enough about this that you understand where I'm coming from and again I'm not mad at Joe, I just wish he'd use more discretion and go back to being quiet if he's going to act like Chad Johnson on Twitter LOL.

Ah well I appreciate that but if that were the case I doubt I'd have time to be on here as much as I do.

I think I'll wait on the diss track "Chills tell me how my a** tastes" before I cast judgement on Joe. Maybe the reason the cops pulled him over was for a DUI charge or an indiscretion with a female hotel employee. Truly must suck just being good and not great because apparently you can't even get away with a few tweets before the morality police and your bosses start to shake their heads.

Man im glad im not a star on the Hawks. Yall would be upset. I dont see nothing wrong with JJ posting those tweets. Im just glad he is opening up. I just wish he would put that 5 stacks into a real bet like, "i bet Smoove cant go a whole game without shooting a 3." or something like that..lol.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Man im glad im not a star on the Hawks. Yall would be upset. I dont see nothing wrong with JJ posting those tweets. Im just glad he is opening up. I just wish he would put that 5 stacks into a real bet like, "i bet Smoove cant go a whole game without shooting a 3." or something like that..lol.

I am really surprised at some posters. Many of us have wondered why there was not much veteran leadership before Bibby arrived. Now we know! Thank god for Joe Smith.

If he's still driving that ostentatious hog, I'm not surprised he was pulled over. :snowballfight:

2534962586_acb78b8329_o.jpg

I remember when it first came out that he was driving that thing it's insane looking but if I could afford to buy/drive it and had a place to park it you better believe I'd have one. Texas girls love big ass trucks!