Joe

Mike

second unit

Collins

Smith

Marvin

Evans

Crawford

everyone in red I expect to play 20 mpg or less and will be in a rotation that revolves around the core 6

Interesting idea, but I don't think Woody will sit MW. Not sure he will need to given Craw will come off the bench. But it gives us so many different lineups to matchup with teams.

“I think that’s the role of any good veteran player,” Collins said.“You have to help the young guys. I tried to do that in Minnesota lastyear, challenging Al Jefferson every day in practice.

“When I came into the league in New Jersey, I had Dikembe Mutombo andAlonzo Mourning, Kenyon [Martin] and Aaron Williams all looking out forme. I learned a lot from those guys. And now I’m in that role.”

That says it all right there. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the competition level in practice for our starters but this could be a huge addition just for the fact that he'll make practices just a little more difficult.

At what point do you think Josh Smith gets tired of hearing about being young and needing veteran leadership and mentoring? This is what his 6th year in the league? I'm not sure how much more mentoring he needs, if any, though he does need to learn more tricks of the trade and someone like Joe Smith should be able to help out a lot with that.

Nice low flash high substance signing .

I think this opens up the door for us to move Zaza back to the starting lineup

Zaza

Al

Josh

Joe

Mike

second unit

Collins

Smith

Marvin

Evans

Crawford

everyone in red I expect to play 20 mpg or less and will be in a rotation that revolves around the core 6

1. Marvin isn't moving to the bench. He's our best perimeter defender and he'll be a starter for at least the foreseeable future.

2. While I briefly considered this a year or two ago I now realize that there is no reason that Josh Smith should EVER start at SF. Ever. Period.

• Admin

1. Marvin isn't moving to the bench. He's our best perimeter defender and he'll be a starter for at least the foreseeable future.

2. While I briefly considered this a year or two ago I now realize that there is no reason that Josh Smith should EVER start at SF. Ever. Period.

Excatly...Josh should not be playing sf. He is not a good sf at all. He is a PF in the NBA period. As for Marvin...he is a quality player that we have and we are lucky that we have him. Why is everyone still trying to put him on the bench. We are better with him out there.

signing Collins isn't to make Zaza a starter. He won't be taking Zaza's minutes. Collins will play when we have an injury. He is just a much better option then MOrris.

• Premium Member

I dunno....I wouldn't rule Othello out yet. He's not the typical "big", like Morris or Zaza. Out of the 5 bigs you mentioned, he's the best perimeter shooter of them all, including Smoove. I've heard nothing but positive things said about him since he arrived, and apparently had a great summer.

Yeah, I would definitely consider bringing Hunter back.... I think he has a better fit. People talking about BU SF.. We have Joe and Mo who will handle that. There will be some Joe and Jamal show going on at the 3/2.

• Premium Member

That says it all right there. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the competition level in practice for our starters but this could be a huge addition just for the fact that he'll make practices just a little more difficult.

At what point do you think Josh Smith gets tired of hearing about being young and needing veteran leadership and mentoring? This is what his 6th year in the league? I'm not sure how much more mentoring he needs, if any, though he does need to learn more tricks of the trade and someone like Joe Smith should be able to help out a lot with that.

Until Josh gets an offensive game that is consistent (Horf too), I think there is need for mentoring. I really hope Josh works out daily with Joe Smith.

Until Josh gets an offensive game that is consistent (Horf too), I think there is need for mentoring. I really hope Josh works out daily with Joe Smith.

Yeah he probably needs mentoring but if you put yourself in his shoes and you've been doing this for 6 years and you're the longest tenured player on the team you have to imagine it probably annoys him a bit that he is seen as someone who needs mentoring.

I don't think the same can be said for Horford since he's only going into year 3 as far as him feeling that way. He clearly needs mentoring and I'm sure he realizes it.

Yeah he probably needs mentoring but if you put yourself in his shoes and you've been doing this for 6 years and you're the longest tenured player on the team you have to imagine it probably annoys him a bit that he is seen as someone who needs mentoring.

I don't think the same can be said for Horford since he's only going into year 3 as far as him feeling that way. He clearly needs mentoring and I'm sure he realizes it.

Maybe it comes down to what you call it, but if he stops learning as a player he is hurting his potential. One thing that drives me in my career is being around others who I can learn from and that's very exciting. Hope he keeps an open mind about it.

Nice low flash high substance signing .

I think this opens up the door for us to move Zaza back to the starting lineup

Zaza

Al

Josh

Joe

Mike

second unit

Collins

Smith

Marvin

Evans

Crawford

Could we please stop trying to send marv to the bench. Josh at sf is just dumb, there is nothing we have done this offseason that remotely gives us the option of changing our starting lineup. We added some much needed depth but that's it, our lineup is what it is.

Could we please stop trying to send marv to the bench. Josh at sf is just dumb, there is nothing we have done this offseason that remotely gives us the option of changing our starting lineup. We added some much needed depth but that's it, our lineup is what it is.

Why are so many so hung on on if Marv starts or not .I didnt say anything about him getting fewer minutes .

How is Josh at SF dumb considering we start out with bigger lineup much more capable of banging with the other team starters and then we open the game up with Crawford and Marvin off the bench . This isnt only about the regular season only its about creating a solid halfcourt offense that doesnt involve only Iso Joe .

The funny part is I said Zaza would play under 20 minutes so in essence no starter would be losing their minutes ,its just rearranging the lineup to help balance out the overall team . Early on basically the first month we play a ton of size I think this would be a great opportunity to slide AL to PF and check out his development on the block.

We cant go into the playoffs with the same philosophy as last year and we have to be able to tryout and test different lineups while the games are for real to better prepare the team for the playoffs

^^^^^Woody has attempted using Josh at the 3 often before and even started off as such in a game last season. All that it proves is that it gives us one less shooter and perimeter defender on the court. The only time you can count on seeing Josh at the 3 next season is only if Joe Smith is on the court. His shooting range offsets Josh's inability on the offensive end and his high IQ plus mobility would allow us to go to a zone on defense which would also help offset Josh's lack of lateral quickness while still allowing him to use his closeout speed on rotations. Al's development on the block can happen on many other instances in the game especially now that we have 4 backup centers without having to force players out of position at the beginning of games where we are notorious for our slow starts.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

• Moderators

^^^^^Woody has attempted using Josh at the 3 often before and even started off as such in a game last season. All that it proves is that it gives us one less shooter and perimeter defender on the court. The only time you can count on seeing Josh at the 3 next season is only if Joe Smith is on the court. His shooting range offsets Josh's inability on the offensive end and his high IQ plus mobility would allow us to go to a zone on defense which would also help offset Josh's lack of lateral quickness while still allowing him to use his closeout speed on rotations. Al's development on the block can happen on many other instances in the game especially now that we have 4 backup centers without having to force players out of position at the beginning of games where we are notorious for our slow starts.

+1

Putting Josh at the 3 is putting him in a position to fail.