• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's Official, Collins Signs

Duff_Man

Great ! His big body will come in handy when we have to run through Shaq, Howard, and Perkins in a 7 game playoff series.He gets more physical then Morris and his veteran status will have some clout with the refs, meaning they will allow him to play more physical then an unproven Morris.

My guess is that Morris will be gone, as well as Siler, for those that are hoping he turns into a legitimate NBA center.

So our team is looking like this?

Bibby/Teague

Joe/Crawford

Marvin/Evans

Josh/Joe S.

Big Al/Zaza/Collins

Some things:

1. It doesn't look like there is that much room for Othello Hunter. I hope he makes the team, but if we only carry 13 I'm not sure he gets it. Sad, because I think he can really be solid in the NBA, but if Collins is our 5th big right now, there will never be any minutes for him.

2. I'm jumping on the bandwagon of a backup SF type. Maybe Korolev or something that people have been talking about around here. He would be an 11th/12th man anyway, but a shooting SF would be good. Evans will become our West, but better. Because although Joe will see minutes at the 3 (Bibby, Crawford, Joe) and maybe Josh if we go big, seems that that true SF is what we need.

3. We are FINALLY getting deep. If Crawford comes close to the 6th man I think he can be, we could challenge old Boston for #3 seed. And there is no doubt in my mind that Bibby, s on the bench for the finish of every close game we have this season. Crawford is a 6th man like Ginobli/Terry. He will be there in the end for us, taking last shots that Joe isn't.

• Like 1

I am very happy about this signing. A solid pickup in case of injury for no money. If he doesn't play who care but if one of the bigs go down we have some insurance.

i like it

My guess is that Morris will be gone, as well as Siler, for those that are hoping he turns into a legitimate NBA center.

So our team is looking like this?

Bibby/Teague

Joe/Crawford

Marvin/Evans

Josh/Joe S.

Big Al/Zaza/Collins

Some things:

1. It doesn't look like there is that much room for Othello Hunter. I hope he makes the team, but if we only carry 13 I'm not sure he gets it. Sad, because I think he can really be solid in the NBA, but if Collins is our 5th big right now, there will never be any minutes for him.

2. I'm jumping on the bandwagon of a backup SF type. Maybe Korolev or something that people have been talking about around here. He would be an 11th/12th man anyway, but a shooting SF would be good. Evans will become our West, but better. Because although Joe will see minutes at the 3 (Bibby, Crawford, Joe) and maybe Josh if we go big, seems that that true SF is what we need.

3. We are FINALLY getting deep. If Crawford comes close to the 6th man I think he can be, we could challenge old Boston for #3 seed. And there is no doubt in my mind that Bibby, s on the bench for the finish of every close game we have this season. Crawford is a 6th man like Ginobli/Terry. He will be there in the end for us, taking last shots that Joe isn't.

I dunno....I wouldn't rule Othello out yet. He's not the typical "big", like Morris or Zaza. Out of the 5 bigs you mentioned, he's the best perimeter shooter of them all, including Smoove. I've heard nothing but positive things said about him since he arrived, and apparently had a great summer.

I dunno....I wouldn't rule Othello out yet. He's not the typical "big", like Morris or Zaza. Out of the 5 bigs you mentioned, he's the best perimeter shooter of them all, including Smoove. I've heard nothing but positive things said about him since he arrived, and apparently had a great summer.

Agree that I wouldn't write him off just yet. I'd MUCH rather see him stick than Morris but I don't think he's a better shooter than Joe Smith is.

I'm not totally writing him off, I'm just a bit worried. I think here is genuine talent there and I want to keep him.

Another solid signing. Sund is amazing..now lets just hope Woody doesn't f*** everything up.

11 men deep now....I waqs gonna say something more profound but h2t's avatar just got me in a different mindset.. :line dance:

Hawks sign veteran center Jason CollinsBy Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The Hawks signed veteran center Jason Collins on Wednesday, fortifying their frontcourt rotation with another big man a week after signing Joe Smith to a one-year deal.

Enlarge photo AP The Hawks signed veteran center Jason Collins (left) on Wednesday, adding another big body to their frontcourt.

.Like Smith, Collins, an eight-year veteran, signed a one-year deal for the veteran’s minimum. He gives the Hawks 12 players under contract for the coming season.

“Atlanta has been a great team the past couple of years,” Collins said. “I’m just glad to be a part of an organization and part of a playoff team. There’s a great front office in place, a great coaching staff, a great city and great community. I’m looking forward to being part of all that.”

Collins spent his first six and half seasons in the NBA in New Jersey, playing on Nets teams that made back-to-back trips to the NBA Finals. He finished the 2007-08 season in Memphis and played last season in Minnesota.

His size (7-foot, 255 pounds) and championship experience made him an ideal target for the Hawks, who have spent the past two years trying to upgrade their depth in the frontcourt.

“Jason provides us with additional size and a good interior defensive presence,” Hawks general manager Rick Sund said in a statement released by the team. “He has extensive experience, having started in two NBA Finals with the Nets, and is another player with strong character and leadership qualities.”

Collins has started 429 games, with averages of 4.2 points and 4.3 rebounds. He also has played in 75 playoff games — and with young teammates Josh Smith and Al Horford, he can add the role of mentor to his extensive resume.

“I think that’s the role of any good veteran player,” Collins said. “You have to help the young guys. I tried to do that in Minnesota last year, challenging Al Jefferson every day in practice.

“When I came into the league in New Jersey, I had Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning, Kenyon [Martin] and Aaron Williams all looking out for me. I learned a lot from those guys. And now I’m in that role.”

I like his attitude: great front office, city, team, etc.

Also embracing the role of mentor. Also didn't know he had been to so many playoff games. He and Smith are going to make Al and maybe SMoove better. Think Al soaks it up and will be good for him in practice, hope Smoove does the same.

Edited by DrReality

Nice low flash high substance signing .

I think this opens up the door for us to move Zaza back to the starting lineup

Zaza

Al

Josh

Joe

Mike

second unit

Collins

Smith

Marvin

Evans

Crawford

everyone in red I expect to play 20 mpg or less and will be in a rotation that revolves around the core 6