• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Crawford will start soon...

jerrywest

• Admin

http://www.82games.c...09/0809ATL2.HTM

Flip+JJ+MW+Josh+Al produced max winning %.

77.7%.

Crawford can play real point guard and he is way better than Flip. It will be hard to keep Crawford in the bench with an older, slower, less financially motivated Bibby.

basketball is more then just 5 players. Crawford will bring energy and scoring spark plug off the bench. A role that the team needs. Bibby is the better point guard and is the right guy to get the team going in the beginning. If it calls for it then Crawford will finish the game and there is no reason why we can't play JC + JJ + MW + Smith + Al lineup during the game.

basketball is more then just 5 players. Crawford will bring energy and scoring spark plug off the bench. A role that the team needs. Bibby is the better point guard and is the right guy to get the team going in the beginning. If it calls for it then Crawford will finish the game and there is no reason why we can't play JC + JJ + MW + Smith + Al lineup during the game.

My finishing lineup initially will be:

Bibby

Jamal

Joe

Josh

Al

If Marvin steps up his game, it will be He instead of Bibs.

• Admin

My finishing lineup initially will be:

Bibby

Jamal

Joe

Josh

Al

If Marvin steps up his game, it will be He instead of Bibs.

I think the finishing lineup will always be based on the situation...is Defense needed? scoring? who is hot? DO we need size to matchup or do we go small or do we need speed. It will be different everytime.

I think the finishing lineup will always be based on the situation...is Defense needed? scoring? who is hot? DO we need size to matchup or do we go small or do we need speed. It will be different everytime.

Yup. Match-ups, the situation, who has played well....it will or SHOULD be different everytime. These types of questions/answers rely totally on the HC. That's why Woody gets paid....he has to make those decisions. At least now, he will have a solid roster of at least 12, instead of 8....

http://www.82games.com/0809/0809ATL2.HTM

77.7%.

Crawford can play real point guard and he is way better than Flip. It will be hard to keep Crawford in the bench with an older, slower, less financially motivated Bibby.

and that max win % was with a lineup that was playing against at least a few non-starters i assume...u can't just look at that in a vacuum and say "that's the best lineup" for our team

Crawford will not start barring injury. A scorer of his caliber off the bench is valuable. When he's hitting his shots anyway. And if he's not hitting his shots he's definitely not more useful in the starting lineup.

Edited by High5

lol that has never mattered as long as woody has been head coach and it still doesn't

The "Better than Good" teams force opponents to stop what they do, not vice versa. All winning teams play their "A" game when it is on the line. You put the ball in the hands of the ball players. The players that touch the ball in the end game are the players that make plays, simple.

On this Hawks team the players (difference makers) that make plays are Joe, Jamal and Bibby.

Those three have to be in the game(if healthy) at the end of the game, to win. Josh is the difference maker on both ends, he has to be in the game at the end. That 5th guy has to rebound and play stout defense, thats all. The 5th guy can be Al, Zaza, Collins, Joe Smith or however ready and willing to rebound and defend the paint.

Prevent defenses prevent from winning. End game, control the ball and put it in the hole, every opportunity. Force the other guy to adjust.

• Moderators

I would welcome the chance to take the ball back on a defensively challenged Bibby/Crawford backcourt if I was another team. I can see using that lineup in crunchtime only if you are going to pull a defensive switch and get one of Bibby/Crawford off the court when the other team has the ball. Otherwise, you will be playing a Michael Redd style - a race to see if you can score more than the many points you give up.

http://www.82games.com/0809/0809ATL2.HTM

77.7%.

That line-up played a grand total of 47 minutes together. I wouldn't draw any grand conclusions from that.

I think the Hawks need to start using Marv as a 6th man. Thats what his role is and should be. He can be an awesome sixth man. There is nothing wrong with not starting. Terry and Manu do an awesome job coming off the bench.

They come off the bench because they can routinely create offense on their own, just like Crawford. Putting them in the starting lineup would take shots away from them or the other starters. Bringing them off the bench allows the best players to get more shots.

Marvin is much more of a complementary player on offense.

Just the threat of Crawford being in the court will make it much much easier for the other 4 to score. It'll be hard to justify not giving Crawford maximum minutes.

If Marvin sits, Hawks are smaller in all 5 positions. Not going to happen. Crawford+Bibby will be one of the worst defensive backcourt in the history of the NBA. Even Dikembe can't protect the rim with these two outside.

They come off the bench because they can routinely create offense on their own, just like Crawford. Putting them in the starting lineup would take shots away from them or the other starters. Bringing them off the bench allows the best players to get more shots.

Marvin is much more of a complementary player on offense.

We'll my issue with Marv is that he is somewhat inconsistent. Some nights hell put up 10 points then the following night hell put up 20. I would rather have someone in my lineup who I know will put 18 every night which is what Crawford gives you. But I do have to agree with you that Crawford can create his own on offense so you may be right how its better to bring him in off the bench.

^^^Crawful and consistent should never be put in the same sentence, this is part of why he will come off the bench. People just see the 19ppg but they don't realize that he will take 40 shots to get to that average if he has to. Woody will manage his minutes in a similar fashion that he did Flip's, if he's on he stays in if he's not he hits the bench.

We'll my issue with Marv is that he is somewhat inconsistent. Some nights hell put up 10 points then the following night hell put up 20. I would rather have someone in my lineup who I know will put 18 every night which is what Crawford gives you. But I do have to agree with you that Crawford can create his own on offense so you may be right how its better to bring him in off the bench.

Its not a hockey line up change.

Last year Flip played with JJ+MW+Josh+Al for a total of 47 minutes in the entire season.

Crawford will almost never play with Teague+JoeSmith+Zaza+Mo unless its garbage time.