• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If we carry 13

swolehawk2

• Premium Member

We know the first 11; last two will probably be Randolph and Juan?

Whatya think?

Morris already has a guaranteed contract.

Bibby/Teague

JJ/Crawford

Marvin/Evans

Smith/Smith

Horford/Zaza/Collins/Morris

Unless the Hawks choose to cut Morris in favor of Siler, I think there are at most two spots open:

1. A guard - West, Dixon, or Wilks

I'm not a West fan, but I can see arguments being made for any of the three. Depends on what the Hawks want from this roster slot.

2. A forward - Hunter or Sims

I just don't see a slot for Siler unless they decide to send him to the D-League all season long, but I doubt they do that because there's a chance Sims or Hunter could contribute right away.

My money is on Dixon and Hunter based on what I know about Woodson.

Edited by mrhonline

• Premium Member

I should add that Dixon isn't my choice because I think he adds nothing to the roster. Wilks is my choice of the three because I think he provides steady PG play in case of an injury to Bibby or Crawford.

Edited by mrhonline

Morris already has a guaranteed contract.

Bibby/Teague

JJ/Crawford

Marvin/Evans

Smith/Smith

Unless the Hawks choose to cut Morris in favor of Siler, I think there are at most two spots open:

1. A guard - West, Dixon, or Wilks

I'm not a West fan, but I can see arguments being made for any of the three. Depends on what the Hawks want from this roster slot.

2. A forward - Hunter or Sims

I just don't see a slot for Siler unless they decide to send him to the D-League all season long, but I doubt they do that because there's a chance Sims or Hunter could contribute right away.

My money is on Dixon and Hunter based on what I know about Woodson.

Even Sekou says 13 is the number, I don't buy it. I believe Sund may intend to limit the roster to 13 but I believe Woody (and staff) will convince Sund(administration) to expand to 14. Expand because of the play of Othello and others.

I believe Othello is in.

I believe Mario, Dixon and Sims will force a 14th slot to be filled.

With one more week of games, the ax will fall probably Sunday.

I wonder if Collins has an "out of shape" clause for the Hawks to release him? (Guy gotta be in shape, right?)

• Like 1

I should add that Dixon isn't my choice because I think he adds nothing to the roster. Wilks is my choice of the three because I think he provides steady PG play in case of an injury to Bibby or Crawford.

Also with a "D-League" relationship with the Utah team, can a guy(Silar) be stashed without he be on the roster. I suppose he needs to pass waivers for that to happen.

• Premium Member

Any additional roster spots will be filled almost certainly with non-guaranteed contracts, meaning those players could be waived without repercussion between now and January 10th (?).

It would make sense to me to keep one forward and one guard under contract until then in case of injuries.

Any additional roster spots will be filled almost certainly with non-guaranteed contracts, meaning those players could be waived without repercussion between now and January 10th (?).

It would make sense to me to keep one forward and one guard under contract until then in case of injuries.

I concur, with Joe Beast's current injury and that "old Chevy" comment from the team trainer during the training camp broadcast, we are going to need a big as PF insurance. That means Hunter/Sims are practically locks for the 13th spot with Hunter having the inside track due to experience with the team and more athleticism at the PF position. Crawful's injury doesn't seem to be as nagging and he is much younger so there may not be a glaring need for a backup guard but if one is to be kept, knowing what Woody likes out of his guards, Juan Dixon would most likely get the nod there.

I concur, with Joe Beast's current injury and that "old Chevy" comment from the team trainer during the training camp broadcast, we are going to need a big as PF insurance. That means Hunter/Sims are practically locks for the 13th spot with Hunter having the inside track due to experience with the team and more athleticism at the PF position. Crawful's injury doesn't seem to be as nagging and he is much younger so there may not be a glaring need for a backup guard but if one is to be kept, knowing what Woody likes out of his guards, Juan Dixon would most likely get the nod there.

I thought Randolph was guaranteed?

If so he would be #12 and we would probably keep Juan as #13.

Othello is small, you may as well play Marvin as a backup PF.If Joe Smith is hurt for anytime we can always play Al and Marv at backup PF since Collins can backup the C spot.

I'm struck by the fact that the last spot on the bench is as good as the 7-8 spots on the bench a year or two ago. There is no question that the talent has improved.

I agree here. I can't remember a training camp where the Hawks have had legit NBA talent actually fighting to make the team. I feel bad for the guys that get cut, but we're competing to win the conference now. We need to be strong 1- through whatever. It's a nice problem for the fans!

I thought Randolph was guaranteed?

If so he would be #12 and we would probably keep Juan as #13.

Othello is small, you may as well play Marvin as a backup PF.If Joe Smith is hurt for anytime we can always play Al and Marv at backup PF since Collins can backup the C spot.

Randolph is guaranteed as the 12th man on the roster thus why I said 13th spot going to a big while the highly unlikely 14th would probably go to a guard.

Bibby/Teague

JJ/Crawford

Marvin/Evans

Smith/Smith

That's 12 guys already but one will only see playing time against traditional bigs (Collins) or at least I hope that's the only time he comes in and the other is RandMo..........

Othello makes sense because I'm already questioning Joe Smith's durability due to his age, his current knee ailments and I'm fretful of having either of our starting C or SF work as the primary backup at that position. We went out and got Joe in the first place because we are worried about playing these guys too many minutes. If the brass are confident that RandMo, with his reduced weight, can play spot duty at PF as well as C then Dixon should be the 13th spot, if not then Othello should get the nod.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

Randolph is guaranteed as the 12th man on the roster thus why I said 13th spot going to a big while the highly unlikely 14th would probably go to a guard.

That's 12 guys already but one will only see playing time against traditional bigs (Collins) or at least I hope that's the only time he comes in and the other is RandMo..........

Othello makes sense because I'm already questioning Joe Smith's durability due to his age, his current knee ailments and I'm fretful of having either of our starting C or SF work as the primary backup at that position. We went out and got Joe in the first place because we are worried about playing these guys too many minutes. If the brass are confident that RandMo, with his reduced weight, can play spot duty at PF as well as C then Dixon should be the 13th spot, if not then Othello should get the nod.

When will the cuts be make? Did I read next week?

What if we end up keeping 2 gaurds and not adding to our bigs? Our roster contains several froncourt players but not as many backcourt players.

the frountcourt is: Marv, Smoove, Horf, Zaza, Joe S., Collins, RandMo (thats 7)

Joe, Evans will also see time at SF so thats 2 more potentials = 7 true with a possible 9

The backcourt however is only: Bibby, Joe, Teague, Crawford, Evans = 5 (and only 5)

If we end up keeping both Dixon AND West, that will give us 2 more definate guards, and another possible SF which would bring us to:

7 true fowards (10 possible's)

and 7 true guards

Im very interested to see which route we go, as long as the last spots go to either combination of Dixon, West, and Hunter, ill be happy.

• Premium Member

It is my impression that that non-guaranteed contracts that don't count against the 15 roster spot limit can only be used before the season starts. After that, I think the player has to be guaranteed to receive at least the minimum salary for the year and must be waived in order to create roster space. The importance of the January 10 date, as I understand it, is merely that the full base salary becomes guaranteed on that date. Thus, January 10 only makes a difference for players who are signed to a contract that pays more than the minimum. I'm definitely open to being shown wrong, but that's what I get from Larry Coon's FAQ.

Guys that don't make the cut become elligible for other contracts (two week etc...). That' why I say load the roster with all the available talent and when it come time to guarantee the contracts, either they've earn the guer. contract or cut em and bring in other short-term guys. that's why I propose keeping 15 and trying to stash Siler or Simms in the DL.

If one of the 13-15 is sucking, cut em before the guaranteed contract kicks in. Other FA's will be available to make the playoff push.

Carry 13. Or even just carry 12.

There are going to be a lot of guys cut next week, who may be better than the guys we have filling out the roster now. So we may want to wait and see who gets cut, then sign one or two of those guys.

Cause who would you rather have?

- any of the guys vying for that 13th - 15th spot?

- of Shelden Williams, if Boston cuts him?

• Like 1

It is my impression that that non-guaranteed contracts that don't count against the 15 roster spot limit can only be used before the season starts. After that, I think the player has to be guaranteed to receive at least the minimum salary for the year and must be waived in order to create roster space. The importance of the January 10 date, as I understand it, is merely that the full base salary becomes guaranteed on that date. Thus, January 10 only makes a difference for players who are signed to a contract that pays more than the minimum. I'm definitely open to being shown wrong, but that's what I get from Larry Coon's FAQ.

Nire - Great to see you here. JT-0 has already done a great thing by bringing you here.

Carry 13. Or even just carry 12.

There are going to be a lot of guys cut next week, who may be better than the guys we have filling out the roster now. So we may want to wait and see who gets cut, then sign one or two of those guys.

Great point!!!