• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks waive Wilks & Dixon

jerrywest

Didn't figure Wilks would make it.

This is a good sign that Teague and Crawford must really be impressing Woody and company. And seriously, our biggest concern is post play; more importantly post defense.

• Premium Member

This is a good sign that Teague and Crawford must really be impressing Woody and company. And seriously, our biggest concern is post play; more importantly post defense.

I disagree. I think our biggest need in terms of adding an extra body is on the wing - if any two of JJ/Marvin/Crawford/Mo get hurt, we will have literally no one left on the bench who can play SG or SF.

And even if I agreed, there is pretty much no chance that we can address the concern about weak post defense by signing one of these two undrafted rookies who won't get any PT...

I disagree. I think our biggest need in terms of adding an extra body is on the wing - if any two of JJ/Marvin/Crawford/Mo get hurt, we will have literally no one left on the bench who can play SG or SF.

And even if I agreed, there is pretty much no chance that we can address the concern about weak post defense by signing one of these two undrafted rookies who won't get any PT...

The big point is true on nightly game basis; but there will be nights when one of them will be needed as the fouls add up. Especially when facing Shaq, Howard, Bosh and any of the Boston big men. What I see as promsing is two vet PG's were cut to make room for at least one of these bigs. Mario if he is kept can fill in at SG/SF BTW. Which I now think he will since both PG's where cut.

Edited by Buzzard

rio and Siler are the Hawks feel good guys. Both have local ties which seems to go way to far into peoples evaluations. After these cuts it appears that rio is a lock. I think a final spot goes to one of Hunter, Simms, Siler. Siler and Simms are cheap, first year pros, but Hunter has probably shown the most out of the three. It's interesting this year. If we think we can stash one of Siler/Simms (or both) in the DL, then bring them back next season and keep Hunter. If they think they could lose a promising, very young BIG, then the choice gets tough.

Hunter just seems a small at PF and I don't think he can keep up with SF's. I think we might go Simms or Hunter to add depth to PF. We already have four C's on the roster.

rio and Simms ?

• Premium Member

I agree that West has made the roster again. He's too "versatile." (Versatile at what is the real question).

Siler is redundant (Morris).

If my instinct is right, Woody is trying to convince Sund to keep one of Hunter/Sims on a non-guaranteed contract. Personally, I prefer Hunter, but I think both guys are "AAAA" types.

I agree that West has made the roster again. He's too "versatile." (Versatile at what is the real question).

Siler is redundant (Morris).

If my instinct is right, Woody is trying to convince Sund to keep one of Hunter/Sims on a non-guaranteed contract. Personally, I prefer Hunter, but I think both guys are "AAAA" types.

West is a energy guy who can play two positions; a warm body local guy who gives a great effort. I think Hunter will make the team also. What i want is the best project; if that is Hunter then great. Really think Morris days are numbered as the project, so would like to see another one. This guy is just going to be there to give us five fouls when needed and he will not be needed much.

• Premium Member

Sekou's take:

There are at least a couple more cuts coming between now and Thursday’s game against the Heat. My guess is that this thing comes down to Hunter and Sims. The point guards had their fate sealed by Crawford last night (nine assists and one turnover with one eye closed).

But that’s just my guess. Rio and Big Glacier (Siler’s nickname, a classic) are still in the mix, too. But in my eyes Hunter and Sims play the obvious position of need and could be counted on to contribute this season if needed.

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/10/19/contagious-is-the-new-word/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Big Glacier? That's not very flattering. Huge chunk of ice that moves extremely slow, like a foot a day. Not a nickname I would want. Anyway...

I believe Hunter will get the nod over Sims. Even though what Courtney did in the Developmental League and his showing as a Hawk has been impressive - Othello knows the system and has worked his butt off to become better, which on all accounts from what I read, he has.

I would still like to see Rio make the team. I understand the money he would make this year, and he's not very talented on the offensive end - but it's got to be hard cutting - or firing, I suppose - a guy that get after it every second, every chance he gets to play.

• Premium Member

The big point is true on nightly game basis; but there will be nights when one of them will be needed as the fouls add up. Especially when facing Shaq, Howard, Bosh and any of the Boston big men. What I see as promsing is two vet PG's were cut to make room for at least one of these bigs. Mario if he is kept can fill in at SG/SF BTW. Which I now think he will since both PG's where cut.

I'm sorry, but again - we have plenty of big men. We have five under contract who can play center, in fact: Horford, Zaza, Collins, RandMo, and Joe Smith. That's 30 fouls, right there. Hell, even Josh played some center last year.

And even if that weren't true, we're only allowed to dress 12 players per game. We're always going to dress Bibby, Teague, JJ, Crawford, Marvin, Mo, Josh, Joe S, Horford, and Zaza. And Collins and RandMo's fouls are just as good as Sims's and Siler's. So when will we ever "need" one of these guys? And don't say "if someone gets hurt," because we have a hell of a lot more need for an extra PG, SG, or SF in case someone gets hurt than we do a C.

The PGs weren't cut to make room for a big man. They were cut to make room for a 13th man, whatever position that may be. And that's why I say you can't look at our roster and say that we have more need for an extra body at PF/C than we do at ANY of the other three positions.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

Niremetal posted this over on the AJC blog and I wanted to steal it for us'uns over here at the 'Squawk:

Sims is not a rookie – in fact, he is a third year player for NBA salary purposes book because he played 3 games in 07-08 (and one game last year). So he and Mario are set to make the exact same amount.

Mario: $825k

Sims: $825k

Othello: $736k

Siler: $458k

No offense, y’all, but if you really think that the ASG will determine who gets the last roster spot(s) based on $367k in salary…well, you must be living in 2006 still.

My order of preference: Rio, Hunter, Siler, Sims. Sorry, but I don’t view us as having a “need” for a 6th big man – especially one who can’t play defense worth a ish like Sims.

I will say happy early 26th birthday to Sims, though – his big day is tomorrow. And yup, that’s right. Sims is older than Mario, Othello, and Siler and also older than half of the rest of our roster (Teague, Marvin, RandMo, Horford, Josh, and Zaza). So how anyone thinks this guy has a good chance of turning into a real player is a bit baffling to me…

I'm too lazy to verify the CBA stuff in this post (IT TOOK ME TWO HOURS TO DRIVE HOME FROM WORK!), but it looks right...

I'm sorry, but again - we have plenty of big men. We have five under contract who can play center, in fact: Horford, Zaza, Collins, RandMo, and Joe Smith. That's 30 fouls, right there. Hell, even Josh played some center last year.

And even if that weren't true, we're only allowed to dress 12 players per game. We're always going to dress Bibby, Teague, JJ, Crawford, Marvin, Mo, Josh, Joe S, Horford, and Zaza. And Collins and RandMo's fouls are just as good as Sims's and Siler's. So when will we ever "need" one of these guys? And don't say "if someone gets hurt," because we have a hell of a lot more need for an extra PG, SG, or SF in case someone gets hurt than we do a C.

The PGs weren't cut to make room for a big man. They were cut to make room for a 13th man, whatever position that may be. And that's why I say you can't look at our roster and say that we have more need for an extra body at PF/C than we do at ANY of the other three positions.

I am not quite understanding your point. Which PG/SG/SF do you want us to keep besides Mario? The reason I ask is, I do not see any PG's left? Or are you just saying you wish we would have kept Wilks or Dixon?

Edited by Buzzard