• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Huge misconception about Preseason...

Sasquatch

Listen to me.

When you hear a person say "preseason means nothing"...

That person does not know what he is talking about. That person is not a thinker. That person is not worthy of your attention.

You see. The preseason does mean something. In fact, it means a heck of a lot. Not only that, it tells you a heck of a lot.

Firstly, you can win or lose a job in preseason. You can win or lose a starting spot in preseason. You can set a tone for your team in preseason. So when a person tells you preseason means nothing, it tells you a lot about them. They are either a fan that is not knowledgeable or a player that is indifferent.

Sure, it is conceivable that the Lakers could get beat by 20+ in the preseason. But it is not conceivable that Kobe is gonna role over in the preseason. I mean, let's be clear. If the Lakers get beat by 20+, it was the reserves that got smoked. Kobe ain't goin -20 in the +/- column nowhere, no time, no place (at least, that's what his mindset is). You not gonna laugh at Kobe from the bench in preseason, a pick-up game, where ever...

You think Kenyon Martin will let you push him or one of his teammates just because it's preseason? See how fast your lip swells up and then ask again.

You see. There is only one thing that does not count in preseason. That thing is who won or who lost. Everything else still counts.

You not gonna run the court in preseason? Well, you probably not runnin the court in practice. You probably not runnin the court in the offseason. Does one count for more or less than the other?

News flash.

If you gettin' punked in preseason. You gonna get punked in the regular season.

You see, the reason you can't slap Kenyon Martin in the preseason or laugh at Kobe from the bench in preseason is because, even though the win/loss does not count, they themselves count and the preseason is not going to change who they are or sully their reputation. You push Kenyon Martin and it's on. Not only does he not care if it's preseason or regular... he does not care whether you get the best of him or not... but you better be ready to whip his *## 'cause he's gonna walk that line.

Last night meant something. Believe me.

The Magic left that building knowing they gave the Hawks something to think about before their next game.

You think joe said somethin?

Yeah right

There is always a line to be walked.

I know it's only preseason...

I'm canceling the parade

Listen to me.

When you hear a person say "preseason means nothing"...

That person does not know what he is talking about. That person is not a thinker. That person is not worthy of your attention.

You see. The preseason does mean something. In fact, it means a heck of a lot. Not only that, it tells you a heck of a lot.

Firstly, you can win or lose a job in preseason. You can win or lose a starting spot in preseason. You can set a tone for your team in preseason. So when a person tells you preseason means nothing, it tells you a lot about them. They are either a fan that is not knowledgeable or a player that is indifferent.

Sure, it is conceivable that the Lakers could get beat by 20+ in the preseason. But it is not conceivable that Kobe is gonna role over in the preseason. I mean, let's be clear. If the Lakers get beat by 20+, it was the reserves that got smoked. Kobe ain't goin -20 in the +/- column nowhere, no time, no place (at least, that's what his mindset is). You not gonna laugh at Kobe from the bench in preseason, a pick-up game, where ever...

You think Kenyon Martin will let you push him or one of his teammates just because it's preseason? See how fast your lip swells up and then ask again.

You see. There is only one thing that does not count in preseason. That thing is who won or who lost. Everything else still counts.

You not gonna run the court in preseason? Well, you probably not runnin the court in practice. You probably not runnin the court in the offseason. Does one count for more or less than the other?

News flash.

If you gettin' punked in preseason. You gonna get punked in the regular season.

You see, the reason you can't slap Kenyon Martin in the preseason or laugh at Kobe from the bench in preseason is because, even though the win/loss does not count, they themselves count and the preseason is not going to change who they are or sully their reputation. You push Kenyon Martin and it's on. Not only does he not care if it's preseason or regular... he does not care whether you get the best of him or not... but you better be ready to whip his *## 'cause he's gonna walk that line.

Last night meant something. Believe me.

The Magic left that building knowing they gave the Hawks something to think about before their next game.

You think joe said somethin?

Yeah right

There is always a line to be walked.

I know it's only preseason...

I'm canceling the parade

Overreact much? Ok the pre-season means something. What was our record this pre-season?

One game vs. the best team in the East least year and they shot better than lights out. On a back to back nonetheless in the pre-season where conditioning is a primary focus. Over the course of 82 games, blowouts will happen.

• Like 1

Good post SQ...but I agree with Buckeye some too. Obviously our players took this game lightly - but they got embarrassed on ESPN. My son is a rugby player and he doesn't care whether it's pre-season or regular season or the state playoffs - he always wants to kick some butt to establish who he is.

On the other side of the coin, we just can't match up with ORL size-wise any more.

Overreact much? Ok the pre-season means something. What was our record this pre-season?

One game vs. the best team in the East least year and they shot better than lights out. On a back to back nonetheless in the pre-season where conditioning is a primary focus. Over the course of 82 games, blowouts will happen.

Unbelievable.

This guy just read my post. Then quoted my post.

Then what's the first thing he asks?

... "what was our record this preseason"

If you don't listen to anything else listen to this... the American educational system ain't jack.

My goodness. The record is the one thing that is irrelevant.

Nobody is upset that they lost. It's the flip flops and jeans around the ankles routine that has played itself out time and time again that is the problem.

The record is the one thing that does not count in the preseason and that's the one thing you point to?

Good post SQ...but I agree with Buckeye some too. Obviously our players took this game lightly - but they got embarrassed on ESPN. My son is a rugby player and he doesn't care whether it's pre-season or regular season or the state playoffs - he always wants to kick some butt to establish who he is.

On the other side of the coin, we just can't match up with ORL size-wise any more.

Thanks for the props.

Just consider this.

You really think this is just about size match-ups?

The Magic shot 61% from the floor and 62% from the 3-pt line.

Here's what I want you to do. Tell me what % you think they would shoot from the 3-pt line if you or I were out there?

Honestly? Probably not much more than 62%

Why? Because, even if nobody is guarding them they ain't gonna shoot much more than 62% from 3.

That's what we saw last night. A team that performed as if they were not out there.

Not to mention... Since you brought up size.

Our starters are actually bigger than them at every spot except center!

Bibby is two inches taller and 5lbs heavier than Nelson.

Joe is 20 lbs bigger than Carter.

Marvin is 3 inches and 25 lbs bigger than Pietrus.

Josh Smith and Anderson are a wash but in the regular season, Josh is 10 lbs bigger than R. Lewis.

Howard is the only spot where they are bigger.

I think it is clear that there is an element here where we have just gotten used to making excuses.

I think the fact that people have repeatedly said the Magic are bigger when, in fact they are not, just shows that they played bigger!

That points to heart.

They are gutless.

• Like 1

Sure the record in the pre-season doesn't mean anything but last nights game also doesn't mean anything, no matter how bent out of shape people want to get about it. It's our final pre-season game, on the road, against a superior team, on the final night of a back to back. We whipped Orlando in their house to start last regular season and that didn't mean anything in the grand scheme of last season so I really am not going to get bent out of shape over a game that we clearly weren't too concerned about and even though that fact disappoints me, I won't let it get me upset unless that type of effort starts happening in the regular season.

They are gutless.

WOW you are overreacting! And over a pre-season game. I can fully understand a post like this about a playoff game but not last nights game. Do you really think Orlando could possibly do that to us every game we play them? There are nights when 1 team shoots lights out and the other team can't shoot to save their lives. We've been on both sides of the coin with that in the past couple of years and it didn't say a damn thing about their hearts or their guts.

Sure the record in the pre-season doesn't mean anything but last nights game also doesn't mean anything, no matter how bent out of shape people want to get about it. It's our final pre-season game, on the road, against a superior team, on the final night of a back to back. We whipped Orlando in their house to start last regular season and that didn't mean anything in the grand scheme of last season so I really am not going to get bent out of shape over a game that we clearly weren't too concerned about and even though that fact disappoints me, I won't let it get me upset unless that type of effort starts happening in the regular season.

1) It's our final preseason game - Check

2) On the road - Check

3) Against a superior team - Check

4) Final night of a back to back - Check

We're so used to making excuses for this team we can quote them like scripture.

So there you have it... The gospel according to Dolfan... Book one verse one unlimited paper back edition

I respect you as a person but right now you sound like a public defender...

A prepackaged generic opening and closing statement that always sounds the same... but why?

because it doesn't matter

It's not gonna change your pay rate...

It's not gonna change expectations

It's the Hawks

I can fully understand a post like this about a playoff game but not last nights game

You don't wait 'till the playoffs to run the court and defend

Do you really think Orlando could possibly do that to us every game we play them?

So they have to drag us like this every game before it is an outrage?

There are nights when 1 team shoots lights out and the other team can't shoot to save their lives. We've been on both sides of the coin with that in the past couple of years

Oh really?

I don't remember seeing both sides of this "coin" against the Celtics?

I don't remember seeing both sides of this "coin" against the Cavaliers?

I don't remember seeing the flip side of this phantom coin against the Magic?

I hope for goodness sakes Woody is not including any of your remarks in his post game speeches

Or pregame for that matter

• Like 1

Pre-season does mean something, but you're treating it like it's a regular season game. They are two completely different things. I think I agree with you that fans should care about that embarrassing loss we went through yesterday, but I don't think anyone should predict how the season is going to go or how Joe or any of our players are going to play just by watching ONE pre-season game. All Hawks fans should be disappointed with the effort the Hawks gave yesterday, but I think every Hawks fan should wait and watch a few more regular season games before making any kind of statement how the season will develop.

• Like 1

I think I agree with you that fans should care about that embarrassing loss we went through yesterday...

This is the problem.

I am not arguing that the fans should care. I am saying the players should care.

The players should be more embarrassed than the fans.

but I don't think anyone should predict how the season is going to go or how Joe or any of our players are going to play

I am not predicting anything. I am acknowledging a pattern.

A pattern that is way too old.

We finished last season exactly like this...

We finish the preseason like this...

And countless other embarrassments...

I can take a tough loss. But to see the same profile time and time again... I want to see that somebody has learned something...

It's square one

• Like 1

Oh really?

I hope for goodness sakes Woody is not including any of your remarks in his post game speeches

i actually do remember hearing this same stuff about celtics at the beginning of last year. i remember the boston red sox winning 8 in a row against the yankees to start this season, then becoming "unbeatable." i remember the heat winning a championship after every analyst asked when they were going to turn it on like we'd been hearing they would.

it's one pre-season game. chill. there's no need to degrade fans who don't want to drink the hemlock after a pseudo-game.

Edited by justin31
  • Like 2

i actually do remember hearing this same stuff about celtics at the beginning of last year. i remember the boston red sox winning 8 in a row against the yankees to start this season, then becoming "unbeatable." i remember the heat winning a championship after every analyst asked when they were going to turn it on like we'd been hearing they would.

it's one pre-season game. chill. there's no need to degrade fans who don't want to drink the hemlock after a pseudo-game.

Yeah but what you are remembering has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

• Premium Member

Oh really?

IF you don't remember seeing this "phantom Coin" against the Magic, go back to our first game against them last season. I believe Marvin was suspended and we blew them out by the start of the 4th. Yeah, the ECF winners got the hell beat out of them last year by the Hawks.

-Short Memories.

IF you don't remember seeing this "phantom Coin" against the Magic, go back to our first game against them last season. I believe Marvin was suspended and we blew them out by the start of the 4th. Yeah, the ECF winners got the hell beat out of them last year by the Hawks.

-Short Memories.

If we win the ECF I'll apologize...

remember that

-Short Memories.

By the way...

I don't remember a 37 point loss being anything remotely similar to a 14 pt loss.

14 pt losses?

Well... They happen

37 pt losses?

Well... They don't... unless...

I don't remember Dwight Howard getting punked.

I remember Howard going 8-15, 22pts and 15 boards in the 14 pt loss.

I remember Howard "showing up". I don't remember Howard tankin'

I remember joe going 2-8, 11 pts 1 rebound, and 5 turnovers in a 37 pt loss.

I remember joe voting "present". I remember joe tankin'

I remember joe's team not winning a single quarter last night.

But no... you are right...

I don't remember the flip side of that coin

No Diesel...

I am your father

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

Stop being such a drama queen. Last night was ugly and discouraging, but do you not remember the Magic beating us by as much as 56 in a game last year? In the middle of regular season! That's the nature of our Hawks. When things go bad for us they usually go pretty bad, and the Magic are one of the few teams who can capitalize on every single mistake you make. If you didn't think we were going to have some horrible games like that then you haven't seen too many Hawks games.

Stop being such a drama queen. Last night was ugly and discouraging, but do you not remember the Magic beating us by as much as 56 in a game last year? In the middle of regular season! That's the nature of our Hawks. When things go bad for us they usually go pretty bad, and the Magic are one of the few teams who can capitalize on every single mistake you make. If you didn't think we were going to have some horrible games like that then you haven't seen too many Hawks games.

How do you respond to some **** like this

Yeah but what you are remembering has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

it has everything to do with what we're talking about. championship teams bust at times. i'm not saying we're one, because i don't think we are, but one lousy performance doesn't mean you have to drag us into your doomsday bunker.