• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can Collins guard Howard/Shaq 1 on 1?

jerrywest

Well his purpose on this team is mostly for Shaq and other big centers. He can definetly guard Howard in the halfcourt but he is too slow to keep up with Dwight full court where he tends to out run most centers and gain position.

No Stackhouse won't help much, we have enough low % shoot first guards on the team.

• Premium Member

Shaq looks really fat this year.

He's been slowly inflating for a few years now.

As for who can guard Howard 1 on 1...I seriously haven't seen anyone who can do it consistently. I woulda liked to see Divac in his prime try to get under his skin, though...

I have two question after watching last night's game.

Could Collins guard Howard/Shaq 1 on 1?

Would Stackhouse help this offense?

It goes without saying that Collins can't guard Shaq/Howard 1-on-1. That is why he is an end of the bench kind of guy. He is 6 fouls worth of heft, which is more then the Hawks have had in previous years, so he is an upgrade.

It goes without saying that Collins can't guard Shaq/Howard 1-on-1. That is why he is an end of the bench kind of guy. He is 6 fouls worth of heft, which is more then the Hawks have had in previous years, so he is an upgrade.

Nets fans say Collins used to guards Shaq better than anybody.

Check this thread:

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/339352-interesting-thread-nba-players-say-collins-is-extra-fierce/page__p__408429__hl__Collins__fromsearch__1&#entry408429

Edited by jerrywest

There is a reason why he is an end of the bench type of player. Shaq is not as big a concern these days as he used to be, given his age and declining quickness. Dwight Howard, on the other hand, would have chumped Collins as easily as he chumped the rest of the big men on the roster.

There is a reason why he is an end of the bench type of player. Shaq is not as big a concern these days as he used to be, given his age and declining quickness. Dwight Howard, on the other hand, would have chumped Collins as easily as he chumped the rest of the big men on the roster.

Collins might be able to throw his huge body around and contain another huge, aging body in Shaq...today. D. Howard. Not a chance. The guy is the best center on earth, he's a physical freak -at age 23. There's not anyone, let alone Collins, that could guard D. Howard to a point he's not effective.

Collins might be able to throw his huge body around and contain another huge, aging body in Shaq...today. D. Howard. Not a chance. The guy is the best center on earth, he's a physical freak -at age 23. There's not anyone, let alone Collins, that could guard D. Howard to a point he's not effective.

Introduce yourself to Yao Ming, He has punked Dwight at every opportunity.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=mingya01&p2=howardw01

Any center with decent athleticism and high IQ at the position can defeat Dwight, 'Sheed has done it, Yao has, and Pau demonstrated such just earlier in the summer. Stop overrating the guy, his talents lie on the defensive end but offensively he's just as raw as Smoove.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=mingya01&p2=howardw01

Any center with decent athleticism and high IQ at the position can defeat Dwight, 'Sheed has done it, Yao has, and Pau demonstrated such just earlier in the summer. Stop overrating the guy, his talents lie on the defensive end but offensively he's just as raw as Smoove.

Introduce myself to Yao? I'm good.

Any center with decent athelticism can defeat D. Howard? Maybe in a game, perhaps, but not over the long haul (a series). He's the best center in the league. He's a physical freak, and he's 23. He may be raw as Smoove, same age, I get it. But Howard impacts a game in a way Smoove can't.

Rasheed Wallace? Really?

I'm not overrating him, if you really think so...open a poll. Who would the Hawksquawk want as their starting center? My money says Dwight Howard wins in a landslide. But that's just me.

And to answer the original question, NO, Jason Collins cannot guard Howard 1 on 1.

If Dwight Howard is not currently the best center on the planet then there is a very, very short list of people in front of him - and I can't think of their names. So in that sense, making such a claim is not necessarily "overrating him".

Introduce myself to Yao? I'm good.

Any center with decent athelticism can defeat D. Howard? Maybe in a game, perhaps, but not over the long haul (a series). He's the best center in the league. He's a physical freak, and he's 23. He may be raw as Smoove, same age, I get it. But Howard impacts a game in a way Smoove can't.

Rasheed Wallace? Really?

I'm not overrating him, if you really think so...open a poll. Who would the Hawksquawk want as their starting center? My money says Dwight Howard wins in a landslide. But that's just me.

And to answer the original question, NO, Jason Collins cannot guard Howard 1 on 1.

You can't debate opinion.....that's a fact.....A poll doesn't establish anything other than the 'Squawks love affair for the ATL native.

Fact remains you are still overrating his offensive abilities, he's just not that good on that end. He scores on rebound put backs and some pick and rolls but ask him to go one on one on the block and he's terribly mediocre and raw. Teams worry more about limiting Dwight's impact on defense than on offense. You're entitled to your opinion that he is the "best C in the world" but I already supported my side with others that have punked him.

You would think the 9 games against Yao and then the what, 5 game series against Pau/Bynum would indicate yes "he can be contained." Shaq this man is not, at least not at this point in his career despite the comparisons.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

You can't debate opinion.....that's a fact.....A poll doesn't establish anything other than the 'Squawks love affair for the ATL native.

Fact remains you are still overrating his offensive abilities, he's just not that good on that end. He scores on rebound put backs and some pick and rolls but ask him to go one on one on the block and he's terribly mediocre and raw. Teams worry more about limiting Dwight's impact on defense than on offense. You're entitled to your opinion that he is the "best C in the world" but I already supported my side with others that have punked him.

Who's a better center in the NBA?

Just in case you are avoiding the link, in head to head matchups over 9 games.

Dwight Howard

12.2 ppg 9.8 rpg 1.7 bpg .451 fg%

Yao Ming

23.6 ppg 10.4 rpg 2.1 bpg .561 fg%

So in other words, if you had the choice of placing Yao Ming as compared to Dwight Howard on the Hawks...you would pick Yao???

To each his own...

• Premium Member

Who's a better center in the NBA?

The Yao argument is kinda like the "Nadal is better than Federer because Nadal usually beats Federer" argument in tennis. It's faulty because their one-on-one matchups are just a tiny fraction of the games each has played over the course of their respective careers (the logic is wrong in the case of Nadal and Federer for a variety of other reasons, but I digress...). The Bobcats have dominated the Lakers during the last couple years, but I don't think anyone would say the Bobcats have been a better team. For the same reason, you can't judge Yao/Dwight and Nadal/Federer just based on their head-to-head performances.

Now who has been the better center in the NBA during the past couple years between those two? Well Dwight almost wins by default because of Yao's injury difficulties. A fully healthy Yao versus a fully healthy Dwight? I don't think there's a right answer to that one.

The Yao argument is kinda like the "Nadal is better than Federer because Nadal usually beats Federer" argument in tennis. It's faulty because their one-on-one matchups are just a tiny fraction of the games each has played over the course of their respective careers (the logic is wrong in the case of Nadal and Federer for a variety of other reasons, but I digress...). The Bobcats have dominated the Lakers during the last couple years, but I don't think anyone would say the Bobcats have been a better team. For the same reason, you can't judge Yao/Dwight and Nadal/Federer just based on their head-to-head performances.

Now who has been the better center in the NBA during the past couple years between those two? Well Dwight almost wins by default because of Yao's injury difficulties. A fully healthy Yao versus a fully healthy Dwight? I don't think there's a right answer to that one.

Probably not. That's what Craws and myself would argue over and over about. Which he would win because he has the numbers, stats, etc. to do it because he's good at that stuff. I'm not. I'm basing my argument on my own eyes. The bottom line is, Collins can't guard Dwight Howard, to answer the question. I would take Dwight Howard as my starting center over anyone in the NBA. I consider the NBA to be the best players in the world, hence I would take him over anyone.

So in other words, if you had the choice of placing Yao Ming as compared to Dwight Howard on the Hawks...you would pick Yao???

To each his own...

Take away the injuries and Yao is the more complete player without a doubt but I will say this again in case you missed it the first thousand times, Dwight's advantage is at the defensive end not the offensive. He is not a force on offense thus why you see that offense constantly neglect him and he can't even see the court during the closing moments of a close game. Avoid that all you want but plenty of guys have effectively single covered him, where he makes you pay is on the defensive end where he protects the basket, rebounds the ball then outruns opponents to the paint where he receives an easy basket.

Just watch the Lakers series, Pau and Bynum didn't even bother trying to get offensive rebounds, once that ball went up and was out of reach they would race down the court not allowing Howard to gain position and forced him to take them one on one on the block where he failed miserably. Would you consider Pau and Bynum in Dwight's league? Yet they held him far below his scoring average during that series, how is that?