• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Adelman trusts Aaron Brooks, why not Woodson with Teague?

hawks21

Haywood has earned his minutes, Teague hasn't.

Brooks and Hayward used to be lost out there. There was a point when the talk around the league was hayward was regressing and isn't going to become a reliable big. Well after coaching changes and growing pains, look at those guys now. One can not earn minutes if he doesn't even play a steady sample diet of them. Teague looks to be pressing just like Acie was. In order to get comfortable with a player, you have to give him a chance to develop in to your offense, especially a rookie. Those veterans woody is referring to won't be who they are if they didn't go through their slumps. Woody kills me with that garbage. Imagine if Bibby had been drafted by the Hawks. Does anyone think he would be playing under Woody? ........................................That's what I thought.

Brooks and Hayward used to be lost out there. There was a point when the talk around the league was hayward was regressing and isn't going to become a reliable big. Well after coaching changes and growing pains, look at those guys now. One can not earn minutes if he doesn't even play a steady sample diet of them. Teague looks to be pressing just like Acie was. In order to get comfortable with a player, you have to give him a chance to develop in to your offense, especially a rookie. Those veterans woody is referring to won't be who they are if they didn't go through their slumps. Woody kills me with that garbage. Imagine if Bibby had been drafted by the Hawks. Does anyone think he would be playing under Woody? ........................................That's what I thought.

Obviously Teague would improve faster if he got more minutes, but our record would be worse. He's averaging 10 minutes a game with two better options in front of him on a team that's 11-2. I'd say his minutes are just right.

Obviously Teague would improve faster if he got more minutes, but our record would be worse. He's averaging 10 minutes a game with two better options in front of him on a team that's 11-2. I'd say his minutes are just right.

High 5, my problem with Woody is that if you are going to give someone minutes, at least Royal Ivey them by playing them 5 minutes every game. Their were games where Teague just didn't play. Woody does that too much. He would play Joe Smith 4 mins in one game then u might not see him again till 2 games later. Luckily Joe Smith is a veteran.

High 5, my problem with Woody is that if you are going to give someone minutes, at least Royal Ivey them by playing them 5 minutes every game. Their were games where Teague just didn't play. Woody does that too much. He would play Joe Smith 4 mins in one game then u might not see him again till 2 games later. Luckily Joe Smith is a veteran.

I'm the first person to criticize Woodson when I think he's doing something dumb, but I agree with the way he's handling Teague. Teague has the fortune or misfortune of being drafted on the first really good Hawks team in a while.

BTW, Aaron Brooks only averaged 12 minutes a game his rookie year on a good Rockets team.

I'm the first person to criticize Woodson when I think he's doing something dumb, but I agree with the way he's handling Teague. Teague has the fortune or misfortune of being drafted on the first really good Hawks team in a while.

BTW, Aaron Brooks only averaged 12 minutes a game his rookie year on a good Rockets team.

I too like the way Woody is handling his minutes. I think he gets a respectable amount of minutes but will it be everyday? At least Royal ivey knew he was going to play the first 5 mins of a quarter. Acie would go for weeks without playing. So far, I think Teague hasn't played in 2 or 3 games this season. I know Woody is trying to win now but he has to account for the future too. What averages doesn't tell you is how many games Teague played 0 mins. All I'm asking of Woodson is for him to play Teague at least 5 mins EVERY game. Teague needs to know he will at least get to play every game so he can stop pressing.

Woodson's gotta win games. That's what we all want him to do.

Teague, a late 1st round pick, has already shown us he's probably better than the Acie pick. Right now, he's 13 games into his career, and he should be happy that he's on this team. You can learn a lot on the bench of a really good team. He'll get his chance to play, but Mikey and Jamal are winning us games. Let's just hope for some blowouts, and he'll get plenty of time.

minutes are earned by not only your play in practice but your play on the court . There is no reason whatsoever to give Teague token minutes in fact this is the perfect time to make him scratch and claw for any minutes he does get as it will only make him better when he does finally earn the minutes . I said it before the season even started that without a summer league Teague wont be getting consistent minutes until after the the new year . There is just too much for him to adjust to right now concerning how the game is called ,The flow of the game and his role when he comes in the game .

Bibby was a pretty polished college point guard coming out of college . Brooks was NEVER lost he was contributing as a rookie in spot minutes because he was able to come in and run the club behind Alston. Again he was a pretty solid point guard coming out of college . Haywood has had 8 years to get his head on straight and hes 29 years old lol

I too like the way Woody is handling his minutes. I think he gets a respectable amount of minutes but will it be everyday? At least Royal ivey knew he was going to play the first 5 mins of a quarter. Acie would go for weeks without playing. So far, I think Teague hasn't played in 2 or 3 games this season. I know Woody is trying to win now but he has to account for the future too. What averages doesn't tell you is how many games Teague played 0 mins. All I'm asking of Woodson is for him to play Teague at least 5 mins EVERY game. Teague needs to know he will at least get to play every game so he can stop pressing.

On the sideline, it seems Teague was in a bad mood. Josh Smith was on the bench with him due to foul trouble and was trying to joke around with him (hitting Teague on the back off the head, etc.), but it seems he was in a foul mood-especially seeing Aaron Brooks run circles around Bibby ans seeing Rockets' rookies like Anderson and Buddinger play, while he sits.

Good teams with good coaches are able to find the time to help develop young talent-- whether its Tony Parker back in 2001 with the Spurs or Byron Scott with Chris Paul a few years back or Sloan in Utah with Deron Williams or Adelman with Aaron Brooks and we see this year with Sacramento's Tyeke Evans and Milwaukee's Brandon Jennings or what about the Clipper's Eric Gordon? Remember Dwayne Wade from 2003 and the impact he had in his rookie year and he was considered not a true point guard, but he made plays and made his teammates better.

Woodson is trying to get that long-term contract, but his ability or inability to develop young talent is also a factor. Joe Johnson might not be here next year, so even though the Hawks are flying high in November, Coach Woodson still must show he can develop young talent at a position, point guard, that Woody has failed to do ever since he has been here. Bibby is in his early 30's and getting slower by the season, and it was exploited during the playoffs vs. Cleveland last year.

The Hawks can have success with Jeff Teague playing 16-18 minutes a game.

Edited by hawks21

On the sideline, it seems Teague was in a bad mood. Josh Smith was on the bench with him due to foul trouble and was trying to joke around with him (hitting Teague on the back off the head, etc.), but it seems he was in a foul mood-especially seeing Aaron Brooks run circles around Bibby ans seeing Rockets' rookies like Anderson and Buddinger play, while he sits.

Good teams with good coaches are able to find the time to help develop young talent-- whether its Tony Parker back in 2001 with the Spurs or Byron Scott with Chris Paul a few years back or Sloan in Utah with Deron Williams or Adelman with Aaron Brooks and we see this year with Sacramento's Tyeke Evans and Milwaukee's Brandon Jennings or what about the Clipper's Eric Gordon? Remember Dwayne Wade from 2003 and the impact he had in his rookie year and he was considered not a true point guard, but he made plays and made his teammates better.

Woodson is trying to get that long-term contract, but his ability or inability to develop young talent is also a factor. Joe Johnson might not be here next year, so even though the Hawks are flying high in November, Coach Woodson still must show he can develop young talent at a position, point guard, that Woody has failed to do ever since he has been here. Bibby is in his early 30's and getting slower by the season, and it was exploited during the playoffs vs. Cleveland last year.

The Hawks can have success with Jeff Teague playing 16-18 minutes a game.

You do realize you are comparing mostly lottery picks on obviously bad teams getting PT over a non lottery pick not getting too much PT on a playoff contender right? Now backtrack and and check how many minutes each of those guys on already established playoff clubs played either through their entire rookie seasons or at the very least their first 13 games.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

Denver is allowing Ty Lawson play.

And Carter is injured. There is a connection there.

If it comes down to winning games or letting Teague learn, I hope Woody makes the logical choice there. Teague is a rookie in the NBA. Yes he might be getting killed by some speed, but Teague isn't ready to be getting as many minutes that way. There were several times when Bibby played 2-guard with JJ at the 3 and Crawford running the point. He would get the ball after a rebound, but then give it to Crawford. If Teague shows improvement, he will get minutes. Bibby gives us the best chance to win between him and Teague.

With that said, I do think Woody needs to cut back on some minutes. JJ is averaging 38.5 mpg with 45 in last nights game. I want to see less JJ and more of Mo and Teague (Mo because JJ is playing the 3 a lot with crawford and bibby). He needs to have his minutes cut down to around 35 at the most.

Edited by dms269

You can say this as many times as you want but the Hawks would have lost tonight if Teague played that many minutes.

Indeed.

As much as I hate to say it, Teague can't be trusted right now, and if you want him getting more minutes you are insane. Woody is doing what he has to do, win games. Not start a rookie PG when we have plenty of experienced depth else where to run the team in the middle of a 7 game winning streak, on top of being the best team statistically in the NBA. Honestly I get scared when Teague is on the floor, i cringe every time he throws up one of those floaters.

The people wanting all these minutes for Teague, isn't seeing the big picture. All they see, is how great he played in the 4th quarter of the Laker blowout, and trying to lobby for Teague playing more based on that. It's not that simple folks.

I said a week or 2 ago, that if Teague wants to play more, he has to come in and immeadiately make an impact on a game. A positive impact.

With Woody being a defensive minded coach, the easiest way to do this, is to play good defense. If Teague got on the floor, and got a few steals that got him easy lay-ups, or stopped the opposing PG with great defense, Woody would be compelled to play him every night at a 15 min a game clip.

When Royal Ivey got his 10 minutes a game, it was because he was the best defensive PG option that Woody had. When Mario would get into the game before Acie, it was because of his defense. A defensive PG like Ty Lawson would easily see 10 minutes every night under Woody, because he plays under control . . and he plays defense.

But when Teague comes into a game, and misses lay-ups, and doesn't play solid defense, and is on the floor with guys who are posting a negative +/- number as a group, it would be stupid to play Teague 15 min a night. If he did, the Hawks may be 8 - 5 right now, instead of 11 - 2.

The other dynamic to this, is that Jamal Crawford can't totally replace JJ's impact at the 2. He can offensively ( on occasion ). But defensively, he can't. So if Crawford is poor defensively, and Teague isn't that good defensively, you now have a situation in which the bench can't build or sustain leads.

When paired with Crawford, Teague has to yield to him offensively. So Teague has to either pick his spots offensively, or affect the game in other ways. If he can't do that in the limited minutes he's playing, he won't get any additonal minutes.

We have 2 PGs on this team with a combined 20 years of NBA experience and have played in A ton of NBA games. One of them has been a floor leader on playoff teams for years, and is still one of the best 3 point shooters in the league. He plays smart, and you can trust him on the court, even with him being a defensive liability.

The other is a guy who has excellent handles, is very fast with the ball, ( and from a scoring standpoint ) can be as explosive as any guard in the league, although he has been historically erratic and inconsistent in his performance. His defense is less to be desired ( although he got a lot of steals vs Houston ). But when he's on, he's VERY GOOD.

Yet, knowing all of this, and seeing the Hawks with an 11 - 2 record, people would rather see the rookie PG more?

• Like 1

I said a week or 2 ago, that if Teague wants to play more, he has to come in and immeadiately make an impact on a game. A positive impact.

Its hard when you play garage time and for 3-4 mintues.

With Woody being a defensive minded coach, the easiest way to do this, is to play good defense.

A defensive PG like Ty Lawson would easily see 10 minutes every night under Woody, because he plays under control . . and he plays defense.

Ty lawson wouldn't play either, woody is the smae ,he just wants his starters in all the time

The people wanting all these minutes for Teague, isn't seeing the big picture. All they see, is how great he played in the 4th quarter of the Laker blowout, and trying to lobby for Teague playing more based on that. It's not that simple folks.

With Woody being a defensive minded coach, the easiest way to do this, is to play good defense. If Teague got on the floor, and got a few steals that got him easy lay-ups, or stopped the opposing PG with great defense, Woody would be compelled to play him every night at a 15 min a game clip.

When Royal Ivey got his 10 minutes a game, it was because he was the best defensive PG option that Woody had. When Mario would get into the game before Acie, it was because of his defense. A defensive PG like Ty Lawson would easily see 10 minutes every night under Woody, because he plays under control . . and he plays defense.

But when Teague comes into a game, and misses lay-ups, and doesn't play solid defense, and is on the floor with guys who are posting a negative +/- number as a group, it would be stupid to play Teague 15 min a night. If he did, the Hawks may be 8 - 5 right now, instead of 11 - 2.

The other dynamic to this, is that Jamal Crawford can't totally replace JJ's impact at the 2. He can offensively ( on occasion ). But defensively, he can't. So if Crawford is poor defensively, and Teague isn't that good defensively, you now have a situation in which the bench can't build or sustain leads.

When paired with Crawford, Teague has to yield to him offensively. So Teague has to either pick his spots offensively, or affect the game in other ways. If he can't do that in the limited minutes he's playing, he won't get any additonal minutes.

We have 2 PGs on this team with a combined 20 years of NBA experience and have played in A ton of NBA games. One of them has been a floor leader on playoff teams for years, and is still one of the best 3 point shooters in the league. He plays smart, and you can trust him on the court, even with him being a defensive liability.

The other is a guy who has excellent handles, is very fast with the ball, ( and from a scoring standpoint ) can be as explosive as any guard in the league, although he has been historically erratic and inconsistent in his performance. His defense is less to be desired ( although he got a lot of steals vs Houston ). But when he's on, he's VERY GOOD.

Yet, knowing all of this, and seeing the Hawks with an 11 - 2 record, people would rather see the rookie PG more?

Hey northcyde, Acie Law was one of our best perimeter defenders. Even Sund admitted that but Woody didn't give him burn. Woody has to let these guys go through growing pains so they can make an impact second half of the season. Woody never thinks long term. It is hard to make an immediate impact in the NBA as a rookie usually unless the coah let you play through your mistakes. Guys we should hope this is the only injury Bibby gets for the rest of the season because if he goes down again, we aren't going to get that 4th seed.

Bibby was the coach and scheme on offense. He is almost more important than JJ. Remember those games we won without jj last year? Y was the team able to still produce? Bibby called plays and made them execute properly. Those were the same games Marvin and Josh numbers went up. Without Bibby, we become a more selfish team.

Edited by DarnShadyRefs

Bibby was the coach and scheme on offense. He is almost more important than JJ. Remember those games we won without jj last year? Y was the team able to still produce? Bibby called plays and made them execute properly. Those were the same games Marvin and Josh numbers went up. Without Bibby, we become a more selfish team.

We are beyond in horrible shape if we are depending on a player to coach the team.

• Moderators

The people wanting all these minutes for Teague, isn't seeing the big picture.

I would argue that anyone who is not preparing for Bibby injuries and for Bibby's inevitable continued physical deterioration isn't looking at the big picture. We need to get our next PG up to speed so he is capable of starting over the next 10-22 months. If Bibby continues to be starter quality that is a great luxury but we must realize he is going to break down both within a season and on a more long-term basis over the next few years.

Losing a few games is worth having a backup who is ready to step in at the PG position versus being woefully unprepared when he goes down. Acie was supposed to be that guy but clearly didn't cut it. The responsibility will have to fall on Teague to make a faster transition to the NBA and for Woody to do what he can to make that happen.

A consistent role with consistent expectations (even if limited) is key to that.

You know what the difference is between Teague and all those other crappy bench players Woody plays regardless of how badly we are sucking? THEY ARE VETERANS! Thats all woody needs to know about you. What has Mo done this season to earn minutes? Remember all those off nights flip had?We know what the other players can do. They've plateaued while Teague has a chance to bring something different. There are a lot of questionable players on our team that get plenty of minutes because they have the veteran label. Since we have no offensive scheme, how do you expect Teague to come in and run offense? Bibby is our offense. Everyone keeps talking about the big picture but fail to realize that injuries happen in the NBA. The next guy has to be ready to step in. That was the reason why Flip wasn't signed because Sund wants to win now while preparing for the future. Bibby won't be young forever. If I were woody, I would play him with Bibby on some nights so he can just worry about scoring. That way, hopefully thats what he needs to get going at the 1.

• Like 1