• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I have a message for Joe Johnson on being a FA

gsuteke

Hedu Turkoglu

Do you think he's happy he left a Finals Caliber team to join the Toronto Raptors right now?

I'm not saying he should take less to stay in Atlanta, however be very careful about wandering is what I'd say to Joe. He's done it once before and dealt with years of losing as a result. If he goes to the Knicks or a team of that caliber he may be starting that losing process all over again.

Turkoglu = cautionary NBA tale

• Premium Member

Hedu Turkoglu

Do you think he's happy he left a Finals Caliber team to join the Toronto Raptors right now?

I'm not saying he should take less to stay in Atlanta, however be very careful about wandering is what I'd say to Joe. He's done it once before and dealt with years of losing as a result. If he goes to the Knicks or a team of that caliber he may be starting that losing process all over again.

Great point. Money talks but I don't think JJ is the kind of guy that plays for money alone.

I think at a point in your career winning is more important than money. At 28 and 8+ years in the league i know I wouldnt want to go to a losing team.

Well it's not like we are probably going to low-ball JJ anyways...he'll get good money from the Hawks. I agree that this is the place for him. I can't imagine that he would want to do the whole rebuilding thing again.

P.S. - watching PHX against ORL and Lopez looks really good inside...just made a monster play.

Bulls targeting Johnson?

Two NBA sources said the Chicago Bulls are emerging as one of the leading candidates to land Joe Johnson(notes) when the Atlanta Hawks guard becomes a free agent after the season.

Johnson, sources say, is intrigued about teaming up with Bulls point guard Derrick Rose(notes). Johnson's agent, Arn Tellem, also is close to Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and the Bulls would love an elite perimeter shooting threat to make up for the loss of Ben Gordon(notes).

The New York Knicks have been mentioned as another possible suitor. Johnson played under Mike D'Antoni when he coached the Phoenix Suns. A source also said Johnson would have interest in returning to the Boston Celtics, who drafted him in 2001, but such a scenario is laughable unless there is a sign-and-trade because the Celtics won't have salary-cap room.

The Atlanta Hawks, of course, can still offer Johnson the most money. While Johnson turned down a four-year, $60 million extension before the season, the Hawks can offer him up to six years in a deal. The Hawks also are an emerging Eastern Conference power and Johnson is the only player in their rotation that will be a free agent next summer.

"We had some great dialogue this summer," Hawks GM Rick Sund said. "While there was the possibility of extending his contract, the rules are more favorable to be a free agent next summer. That's the route he wanted to go. We are going to do everything to keep him."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

While you never know, I would think that the pasting we gave to Chicago would make JJ realize that they are a long ways from being any kind of contender. As far as the NYK's go - what can you say? They beat us earlier on an off-night...but usually they look like they should be in the Missouri Valley Conference. Tellem will definitely play hardball (can't blame him) - but in the end I think we can spend enough money to keep a happy JJ. Why in heck would JJ want to go away from Smoove and the boys?

Likely the ability to offer a six-year deal will be key.

Edited by DJlaysitup

Something just tells me that Turkoglu does not care too much about being on a winning team. No one thought that the Raptors would be anywhere close to great. I'm sure he didn't either.

I agree to some point but Toronto had good second half last season and they were supposed to be a PO team with Hedo. It appears that Marion's rebounding and high FG% > Turk's playmaking skills in that case.

As for JJ I've got a feeling that he's hoping for offer from teams looking to stop other big FAs (LBJ, Wade, Bosh) from going away, to join the contender or make contender out of decent team.

• Premium Member

Hedu Turkoglu

I thyink and have thought that Joe is after a years committment and not neccessarily the most money. In the summer, we offered 4 years. I wouldn't take that either. After 4 years, I'm 32... with no real hope of scoring another large deal. I think a frontloaded 6 year deal might interest both parties.

Hedu Turkoglu

Pfft

You should ask Joe if he was happy leaving a 60 win, Finals Caliber Suns team to sign with the 13 win Atlanta Hawks. :blink:

• Admin

Hedu Turkoglu

Toronto has a huge international flavor. It is appealing to international players.

I thyink and have thought that Joe is after a years committment and not neccessarily the most money. In the summer, we offered 4 years. I wouldn't take that either. After 4 years, I'm 32... with no real hope of scoring another large deal. I think a frontloaded 6 year deal might interest both parties.

4 years is all they could offer him at the time and I don't blame him for not signing it either.

Both Joe and the ASG could put this thing to rest in a minute by publicly stating thier intentions to work something out.

• Admin

4 years is all they could offer him at the time and I don't blame him for not signing it either.

Both Joe and the ASG could put this thing to rest in a minute by publicly stating thier intentions to work something out.

I still have a feeling he is going. I bet he wants to play with Wade or Lebron. That being said it was a good idea to wait to get a 5 year deal instead of 4 years. So even if he is going to sign with us, it is better to wait until this offseason.