• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Main Catalyst for Change in Culture

benhillboy

Everyone has their opinion as to why the Hawks have ascended to, and looks to stay, in the top quarter of the league. Is it the brass' willingness to stay with Woody, who only improves every year? Is it the growth of the Woody-Joe relationship? The maturity of Josh? Acquiring Bibby and monitoring his workload to maximize him? Strengthening the bench every year? Good coaching staff? Sund's vision?

Or is it 1 simple answer?

Drafting Big Al.

I remember his first few weeks. Out-hustling Shaq. Out-classing Jermaine O'Neal when he was still close to Jermaine O'Neal. It takes Bargnani (I know I'm butchering buddy's name) and Bosh together to keep him off the boards. On to averaging a double-double in a landmark playoff series against the eventual World Champs in Beantown.

Sure there are more skilled bigs, but there is no one in the NBA who can out-hustle homeboy. His approach, demeanor, and professionalism has been contagious, which is huge because there were seasoned vets who followed his lead. The only thing I value out of Barkley's mouth is his love for Al. His B-Ball I.Q. and his sense for impacting his team positively for 48 minutes, even when he's sitting, cannot be overstated. Hell, he's number 5 in the league right now in total plus minus behind guys you might of heard of like Kobe Bean, Melo, The King, and Dirk. Wouldn't be surprised at all when he averages well over 4 dimes.

A light came on as soon as Al stepped on the floor for us, and it'll only shine brighter as he progresses. The only player on our team who I personally never find fault with, although I still panic a little when he plays point-center with Bibby running right beside him.

Let's go Hawks. Do your thing Horf.

Edited by benhillboy

Everyone has their opinion as to why the Hawks have ascended to, and looks to stay, in the top quarter of the league. Is it the brass' willingness to stay with Woody, who only improves every year? Is it the growth of the Woody-Joe relationship? The maturity of Josh? Acquiring Bibby and monitoring his workload to maximize him? Strengthening the bench every year? Good coaching staff? Sund's vision?

Drafting Big Al.

I remember his first few weeks. Out-hustling Shaq. Out-classing Jermaine O'Neal when he was still close to Jermaine O'Neal. It takes Bargnani (I know I'm butchering buddy's name) and Bosh together to keep him off the boards. On to averaging a double-double in a landmark playoff series against the eventual World Champs in Beantown.

Sure there are more skilled bigs, but there is no one in the NBA who can out-hustle homeboy. His approach, demeanor, and professionalism has been contagious, which is huge because there were seasoned vets who followed his lead. The only thing I value out of Barkley's mouth is his love for Al. His B-Ball I.Q. and his sense for impacting his team positively for 48 minutes, even when he's sitting, cannot be overstated. Hell, he's number 5 in the league right now in total plus minus behind guys you might of heard of like Kobe Bean, Melo, The King, and Dirk. Wouldn't be surprised at all when he averages well over 4 dimes.

A light came on as soon as Al stepped on the floor for us, and it'll only shine brighter as he progresses. The only player on our team who I personally never find fault with, although I still panic a little when he plays point-center.

Al can get better and needs more polish so I can find fault with him; just not glaring faults. I think Al, and not Woody, is a big reason Smoove sees himself as a rebounding big this year and not a 3pt shooting Rasheed or Harrington...

Edited by Buzzard

Drafting Big Al.

A light came on as soon as Al stepped on the floor for us, and it'll only shine brighter as he progresses. The only player on our team who I personally never find fault with, although I still panic a little when he plays point-center with Bibby running right beside him.

Let's go Hawks. Do your thing Horf.

nice post...i see the same thing. i love horfords game. I laugh every time i see someone on here saying we need a real center over Al.

:snowballfight:

My response? All of the above. It's a team thing. Like a good engine, it runs well and sounds

great when all the various parts are working properly.

Every piece, in their own way, make a difference. Have no argument about AH. He's been great!

Another player who is doing all right. AH's backup center. Zaza has been whipped, over and over,

by Hawk fans about his play and his limited ability. Yet, he's still "Doin' his thing" and making a

positive impact on the outcome of most games. Bull in a china shop. That's him. Move AH to

power foreward on occasion and Zaza plays center. They work well together. Neither of them

will be intimidated in a game. Remember the Celtics season before last in the playoffs? Neither

of these guys backed down.

GO HAWKS!

:headphones:

:snowballfight:

My response? All of the above. It's a team thing. Like a good engine, it runs well and sounds

great when all the various parts are working properly.

Every piece, in their own way, make a difference. Have no argument about AH. He's been great!

Another player who is doing all right. AH's backup center. Zaza has been whipped, over and over,

by Hawk fans about his play and his limited ability. Yet, he's still "Doin' his thing" and making a

positive impact on the outcome of most games. Bull in a china shop. That's him. Move AH to

power foreward on occasion and Zaza plays center. They work well together. Neither of them

will be intimidated in a game. Remember the Celtics season before last in the playoffs? Neither

of these guys backed down.

GO HAWKS!

:headphones:

I concur. Woody has employed Zaza and Al in tandem several times, most recently last game. Horford is a player that is good and gets better and better. Some have thought last season was his ceiling but they see it wasn't.

It is always interesting as some shoot arrows at Woody to understate his effectiveness.

Al has been lights out. But I'm a little more impressed with Joe. Joe for the first time is diving forballs and lighting up guys defensively.

• Premium Member

The biggest catalyst was Bibby to be honest. That trade was the beginning of this team. He just seemed to bring it all together. But i have to say the way Zaza and Horf performed during that first Playoffs made me proud. It is during those moments that you show what you are made of, and those guys came through with flying colors. That's why I love having Zaza on this team despite his shortcomings. You want guys on your team who give max effort and who won't back down to anyone. That attitude is contagious and you can see that the whole team has adopted it. I get a feeling the Playoffs are going to be special this season for us Hawks fans. :smile:

Whats interesting is that the hawks had to win the lottery and finish in the top 3 that year or else the Suns would have gotten the pick. This team would have been far different if the ping pong balls fell differently.

Also, we were fortunate to get the #3 pick that year instead of getting the #1 pick. Had we gotten the #1 pick, we would have certainly drafted Greg Oden instead of Horford. At this point, I'd MUCH rather have Horford over Oden.

Edited by Antmillennium

True. Big ups to the Suns for that one. After this latest injury, I think Oden will forever be a Sam Bowie type. It seems impossible to catch up to the progression and upward career paths of Durant and Big Al AKA Little Unseld AKA Beat Your Whole Team Down The Floor.

Whats interesting is that the hawks had to win the lottery and finish in the top 3 that year or else the Suns would have gotten the pick. This team would have been far different if the ping pong balls fell differently.

All part of BK's master plan. Right? :stirthepot: =)