• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bibby adjusting to new role

Admin

I don't know if this was discussed already and it was I apologize but I just read this on ESPN and had to pass it along.

The Hawks signed Mike Bibby to a three-year contract last summer, but the 31 year old is playing less minutes and his statistics are down. There are also times when he doesn't play late in games with Jamal Crawford taking over at the point. Bibby admits his new role was not expected, but he won't cause any problems.

"I didn't expect it," Bibby tells The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "but whatever Coach wants me to do, I'm going to go out there and do it. I'm not out there trying to score 20 points. I'm just trying to get the team into the flow of the game."

Head coach Mike Woodson wants Bibby to do more than score points.

"When Bibby is struggling, I throw him in there at the end and he does something. And it may be a pass, it may be a big shot," Woodson said. "The last two years I leaned on him a lot to score. Now I want him to defend and rebound a little bit if he can get in there. I know that's not his thing but I at least want him to help with defensive concepts."

• Premium Member

Hmmmm...does make you wonder if Bibby's frustration (warranted, in my opinion) has affected his play.

If I'm Bibby and coach tells me that from now on I have to focus mainly on my rebounding and defense, I admit, I'd be scratching my head.

It's like signing Diop and telling him from now on you focus on your mid-range game. Bibby hasn't been an effective defender and rebounder EVER.

That quote by Woodson is to let Bibby know that his defense is a problem, so he won't be shocked when he is benched.

From that, some would take Craws is good or better; and its not. Crawford is playing better offense and is still a step or two ahead of most of his competitors on the offensive end of the floor. Craw gets the nod due to this and not his D, which neither of them are worth a hoot at IMO.

I don't know if this was discussed already and it was I apologize but I just read this on ESPN and had to pass it along.

Bibby's a good guy. For most players this would be a problem but he finds a way to stay positive and cheer guys on. We dont need him to score alot of points. He's the team leader and should be the captain IMO classy player

• Premium Member

I think that's the craziest thing I've ever heard from Woody. You want Bibby to defend and rebound? And I want gas stations to give away free gas and candy.

Edited by NineOhTheRino