• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What did we miss out on?

Diesel

• Premium Member

"George Karl says the Nuggets had a trade in place with the Hawks back in 2005 that would have landed them the second overall pick.

Denver's plan then would have been to use the pick on Deron Williams.

"I don't know why we didn't do it or what happened, but there's no question that I thought he'd be a great player," Karl said. "I like him because his passion and energy for the game is contagious. It's fun to watch and it's difficult to play against."

Atlanta ultimately kept the pick and selected Marvin Williams, which allowed the Jazz to take Williams with the third pick."

OK, I got the Dieselputer going. What was it that we passed up...

Immediately, First thought is Andre Miller.

Second thought is Marcus Camby.

I hope we wasn't pushing for KMart.

Denver also had the 20th and 22nd pick of the draft....

So if I put in the data, how does this sound:

Miller/20/22 for Lue/Delk/#2.

Can you imagine if had:

Andre Miller/Joe Johnson/Josh Childress/Josh Smith....

• Premium Member

I'm reading all the news about the 2005 draft and guess what...

Sam Smith called it.

Sam Smith said that we were having second thoughts and may deal with Denver.

Also...

George Karl was fined and suspended for illegal contact with Deron Williams.

When Utah Moved up, we were in the catbird seat... But BK stuck with Marvin.

It would have been Kenyon MArtin. Remember BK wanted him pretty bad. Be thankful that trade didn't go through!! If we didn't have MArvin you would only have about 2,000 posts instead of 31,000+ Diesel!!!! LOL just kidding dude!!!

We brought JJ in to be our point guard so Miller would have probably meant no JJ. You can go crazy but either way you look at it we are a very good team today and the best deals are the ones you don't make!!!

• Premium Member

I really wouldn't have seen the point of trading down unless it netted us Paul or Deron. I honestly don't think we'd have been as good a team if we hadn't had those extra bad years that ultimately netted us Horford and the pieces for Bibby. If the piece Denver was moving to get the #2 was Miller, we'd have a small upgrade over Bibby but not an All-Star at center. If we had Nene but not Miller, who would be our PG today? Speedy Claxton? Or maybe Jarrett Jack using the #20 pick? And who would be the SF? Does Andre Miller mean no JJ (probably, since we wouldn't have had the cap room)?

I doubt all would have been roses if we'd dealt with Denver.

Edited by niremetal

• Moderators

Diesel, you should go back and read all the arguments that ex, you, me, AHF, gsu, etc. had about Nene over the years. Some funny stuff.

There was most definitely a ton of smoke there...

I just looked at one or two and saw that I failed to respond to a thread where we were debating Zaza's future salary and Johny Bravo bet me a corndog that Zaza would get a 5 year, $50M contract. Why didn't I reply to that thread and take that bet!?!?

Talk about a missed opportunity.

Edited by AHF

If we had taken Bynum, we would have sucked enough for a long time. We would have definitely skipped Shelden? Roy/Foye/Gay would have been here. Roy would have taken us out of Horford pick.

Horford was head and shoulder above any other 3rd pick in our interview process. We would have picked him at 3 if we had the luck.

Looks like Bynum would have been a better pick than Paul/Deron because

Bynum+Roy or

Bynum+(Foye/Gay)+Horford

would have been awesome.

If we had picked Foye instead of Roy/Gay we would have skipped Acie. Thornton anyone?

No Bibby/Craw/Marvin here.

Three realistic senarios with Bynum:

1. Bynum/Foye/Horford/Thornton + JJ/Josh/Josh + Zaza's replacent + AJ.

2. Bynum/Gay/Horford/Acie + JJ/Josh/Josh + Zaza's replacement (a Point Guard) + AJ.

3. Bynum/Roy/Acie+ JJ/Josh/Josh/Zaza + AJ.

Which one do you like the most?

• Premium Member

It would have been Kenyon MArtin. Remember BK wanted him pretty bad. Be thankful that trade didn't go through!! If we didn't have MArvin you would only have about 2,000 posts instead of 31,000+ Diesel!!!! LOL just kidding dude!!!

We brought JJ in to be our point guard so Miller would have probably meant no JJ. You can go crazy but either way you look at it we are a very good team today and the best deals are the ones you don't make!!!

Nah,

We got Harrington and at the time, KMart was not the Kmart from NJ. I thiink during that year, Harrington was better than Kmart.

• Premium Member

I really wouldn't have seen the point of trading down unless it netted us Paul or Deron. I honestly don't think we'd have been as good a team if we hadn't had those extra bad years that ultimately netted us Horford and the pieces for Bibby. If the piece Denver was moving to get the #2 was Miller, we'd have a small upgrade over Bibby but not an All-Star at center. If we had Nene but not Miller, who would be our PG today? Speedy Claxton? Or maybe Jarrett Jack using the #20 pick? And who would be the SF? Does Andre Miller mean no JJ (probably, since we wouldn't have had the cap room)?

I doubt all would have been roses if we'd dealt with Denver.

I'd like to put your theory to the test....

Had we made the trade with Denver... and Let's say the deal was Nene/20 for 2nd/Delk... With the 20th pick, we take Jarrett Jack...

Our team would have been Lue, Joe, Chillz, Harrington, Nene...

We would not have won that many games.

The next year....

We're still in the lottery.

We're not getting Shelden because we have Nene.

We're not going after a PG because we have Jack and Lue.

My guess is that we're going after a 3...

RUDY GAY...

IF we had:

Jack, Joe, Gay, Smoove, Nene

going into the future....

I think getting FAs will be easy.

• Premium Member

I'd like to put your theory to the test....

Had we made the trade with Denver... and Let's say the deal was Nene/20 for 2nd/Delk... With the 20th pick, we take Jarrett Jack...

Our team would have been Lue, Joe, Chillz, Harrington, Nene...

We would not have won that many games.

The next year....

We're still in the lottery.

We're not getting Shelden because we have Nene.

We're not going after a PG because we have Jack and Lue.

My guess is that we're going after a 3...

RUDY GAY...

IF we had:

Jack, Joe, Gay, Smoove, Nene

going into the future....

I think getting FAs will be easy.

You're right. I'm sure everything would have worked out exactly like that. Because in the NBA, life always goes according to your plan.

I just looked at one or two and saw that I failed to respond to a thread where we were debating Zaza's future salary and Johny Bravo bet me a corndog that Zaza would get a 5 year, $50M contract. Why didn't I reply to that thread and take that bet!?!?

Talk about a missed opportunity.

I've got an extra corndog in the freezer AHF...I'll cover JB's (potential) debt. It's been frozen real solid for nearly a year (except for the time I thawed it out but didn't eat it)...just scrape off the green stuff and it will be fine...I'm sure tongue.gif

I was really hoping we would trade down with the two pick that year..even envisioning a situation where we could trade down twice. At the time we needed players...I was hoping for JJack and a solid big. We also had a very good second round pick if I'm not mistaken.

• Moderators

I've got an extra corndog in the freezer AHF...I'll cover JB's (potential) debt. It's been frozen real solid for nearly a year (except for the time I thawed it out but didn't eat it)...just scrape off the green stuff and it will be fine...I'm sure tongue.gif

I was really hoping we would trade down with the two pick that year..even envisioning a situation where we could trade down twice. At the time we needed players...I was hoping for JJack and a solid big. We also had a very good second round pick if I'm not mistaken.

Mmmm....yummy!

I did not want to trade down at all that year and still wouldn't do that with the second pick. I want a star with that pick and will take my shot at the player with the best ratio of biggest upside to smallest downside. I think the NBA is a league of stars and your best shot at them is in the draft.

I did not want to trade down at all that year and still wouldn't do that with the second pick. I want a star with that pick and will take my shot at the player with the best ratio of biggest upside to smallest downside. I think the NBA is a league of stars and your best shot at them is in the draft.

Yes - I agree - if you are smart. Obviously the "Worthy with a jumpshot" idea wasn't as good as the PG out of WF...or the PG out of Illinois.

BTW...who needed a PG back then? Oh yeah.....us.