• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith is the team MVP.

HawkWeisErrr

Josh Smith is a Shawn Marion type player. A guy who fills up the stat sheet but would lead a team to high lottery picks as ''the man''. How can you be an MVP if you can't create your own shot?

he better than marion. its mvp most VALUABLE player not PLAYER WHO IS THE BEST SCORER ON A TEAM WHO WENT TO 4 ALL STAR GAMES.

• Premium Member

he better than marion. its mvp most VALUABLE player not PLAYER WHO IS THE BEST SCORER ON A TEAM WHO WENT TO 4 ALL STAR GAMES.

Lol...well there you have it. Apparently, a few fans' opinions are entitled to more weight than the NBA head coaches who voted JJ to more All-Star games than any Hawk since Nique.

And Josh is better than Marion? Really? Today, that's true, but it's no insult to Josh at his peak is not as good as Marion was at his peak, because Marion was arguably the best forward in the league at his peak. Really, it's not even close. Marion can shoot, drive, rebound, and play on-ball defense better than Josh. Josh can pass and play help defense better than Marion. And Marion did it while playing for 60-win teams. All of his career shooting percentages - FG, 3P, FT, EFG, and TS - are better than Josh's. For 7 straight years, he was Top 10 in rebounding despite being just 6'7. Marion made 4 All-Star games in 5 years back when the West was packed with Hall of Fame level forwards. I'm sorry, but it's not an insult to Josh to say it's not even close.

This is truly amazing. No one here is disputing that Josh is a great player. I frankly think that he SHOULD have made the ASG this year. But it's ridiculous that some people are so blinded by loathing of Joe and/or love of Josh that they're ready to rate Josh ahead of players that NBA head coaches have selected muliple times as being All-Stars and/or All-NBA, while Josh has yet to be named all-anything.

Edited by niremetal

• Admin

I agree that Josh is the better one to build the team around. And nobody effects the game on both ends of the floor better than Josh.

Josh is not someone you build a team around and this team is not built around him. He is a great supporting player to a teams star. Josh brings another element to this team with his energy, emotions and weak side defense. However, we would survive losing Josh to injury more then if we lost Joe to injury.

Lol...well there you have it. Apparently, a few fans' opinions are entitled to more weight than the NBA head coaches who voted JJ to more All-Star games than any Hawk since Nique.

And Josh is better than Marion? Really? Today, that's true, but it's no insult to Josh at his peak is not as good as Marion was at his peak, because Marion was arguably the best forward in the league at his peak. Really, it's not even close. Marion can shoot, drive, rebound, and play on-ball defense better than Josh. Josh can pass and play help defense better than Marion. And Marion did it while playing for 60-win teams. All of his career shooting percentages - FG, 3P, FT, EFG, and TS - are better than Josh's. For 7 straight years, he was Top 10 in rebounding despite being just 6'7. Marion made 4 All-Star games in 5 years back when the West was packed with Hall of Fame level forwards. I'm sorry, but it's not an insult to Josh to say it's not even close.

This is truly amazing. No one here is disputing that Josh is a great player. I frankly think that he SHOULD have made the ASG this year. But it's ridiculous that some people are so blinded by loathing of Joe and/or love of Josh that they're ready to rate Josh ahead of players that NBA head coaches have selected muliple times as being All-Stars and/or All-NBA, while Josh has yet to be named all-anything.

Marion also did all that With Jason Kidd and Steve Nash making life alot easier for him

• Premium Member

Marion also did all that With Jason Kidd and Steve Nash making life alot easier for him

Oh, what's that? Marion's first All-Star appearance came without either Nash or Kidd? And what? Josh has played alongside an All-Star the last 4 seasons too? Oh wait, I forgot. JJ isn't as good as Josh. What was the basis for that again? I guess JJ drawing constant double teams doesn't help Josh at all.

Actually, this is the FIRST year that Marion played with Kidd. The PG early in his career was Marbury, who no one ever accused of making his teammates better.

And I suppose Nash is also the reason that Marion's rebounding numbers put Josh's to shame.

I guess you're just smarter than the head coaches and voters for the All-NBA teams.

Don't you realize that trying to argue that Josh is better than Marion was actually makes it harder to take seriously the much more legit argument that Josh is the team MVP this year?

Edited by niremetal

Josh is essentially an amalgam of Marion/Odom/AK47. Not necessarily a suped up version of any of those guys but he combines a few of their traits into a similar body frame. That being said, no team has gone anywhere with any of those guys as their best players so how could you lead me to believe that this team is where it is mainly due to Josh? You can't count on any big as your best player or MVP unless they can give you a consistent 20 and 10.

Oh, what's that? Marion's first All-Star appearance came without either Nash or Kidd? And what? Josh has played alongside an All-Star the last 4 seasons too? Oh wait, I forgot. JJ isn't as good as Josh. What was the basis for that again? I guess JJ drawing constant double teams doesn't help Josh at all.

Actually, this is the FIRST year that Marion played with Kidd. The PG early in his career was Marbury, who no one ever accused of making his teammates better.

And I suppose Nash is also the reason that Marion's rebounding numbers put Josh's to shame.

I guess you're just smarter than the head coaches and voters for the All-NBA teams.

Don't you realize that trying to argue that Josh is better than Marion was actually makes it harder to take seriously the much more legit argument that Josh is the team MVP this year?

Maybe u need to calm down and stop being so defensive.Where did i say anything about Josh being bretter than Joe??

Josh playing along side Joe is not the same as playing along side Nash or any allsrar point guard

Edited by pimp

I would argue that Smith plays better on ball defense than Marion at the PF position. I think Smith is twice the defensive player that Marion was and Marion was great in his prime. Smith offense is limited in ANY offense, while Marion is a fast break only offensive player. Smith size and length w/ his athleticism makes him the PF version of Ben Wallace. The problem is we have a better PF on this team in Horford. It's like Smith's great to have but we have a player who could be a lot better if in his natural position. JJ is not all that great, he's an All Star, no doubt but he very good but not elite at anything. For the money, it's just not worth it.

Smith is very close to Marion at the PF position if not better.

Smith defense>>> Marion

Marion offense> Smith

Marion rebounding>> Smith

Smith on and off ball D> Marion

Smith defensive positioning> Marion

Smith defensive IQ>>Marion

Marion Off IQ>>> Smith

Marion shooting>>>>>>>Smith

Smith passing>>> Marion

Smith post game>Marion

Smith effectiveness on team defense> Marion

Neither have great effectiveness on team offense

You seen when they traded Marion, it's like Phx did not miss a beat.

I feel the same about Atlanta if we could bring an elite PG and lower JJ role significantly.

I do feel the lost of Smith would hurt us on defense by a mile. Unless we get a Deron or CP3 and add a center like Pryzbilla or Thabeet who would at least be effective on the defensive end so Smith defense is not missed as much. We could probably get Thabeet for Teague and a future second rounder.

Both players are All Star caliber players, but neither are #1 options if even #2.

• Premium Member

I would argue that Smith plays better on ball defense than Marion at the PF position. I think Smith is twice the defensive player that Marion was and Marion was great in his prime. Smith offense is limited in ANY offense, while Marion is a fast break only offensive player. Smith size and length w/ his athleticism makes him the PF version of Ben Wallace. The problem is we have a better PF on this team in Horford. It's like Smith's great to have but we have a player who could be a lot better if in his natural position. JJ is not all that great, he's an All Star, no doubt but he very good but not elite at anything. For the money, it's just not worth it.

Smith is very close to Marion at the PF position if not better.

Smith defense>>> Marion

Marion offense> Smith

Marion rebounding>> Smith

Smith on and off ball D> Marion

Smith defensive positioning> Marion

Smith defensive IQ>>Marion

Marion Off IQ>>> Smith

Marion shooting>>>>>>>Smith

Smith passing>>> Marion

Smith post game>Marion

Smith effectiveness on team defense> Marion

Neither have great effectiveness on team offense

You seen when they traded Marion, it's like Phx did not miss a beat.

I feel the same about Atlanta if we could bring an elite PG and lower JJ role significantly.

I do feel the lost of Smith would hurt us on defense by a mile. Unless we get a Deron or CP3 and add a center like Pryzbilla or Thabeet who would at least be effective on the defensive end so Smith defense is not missed as much. We could probably get Thabeet for Teague and a future second rounder.

Both players are All Star caliber players, but neither are #1 options if even #2.

I'm sorry, but you are kidding yourself if you think Josh is a better on-ball defender than Marion at any position or if you think Marion's rebounding isn't several >s greater than Josh's.

Edited by niremetal

I'm sorry, but you are kidding yourself if you think Josh is a better on-ball defender than Marion at any position or if you think Marion's rebounding isn't several >s greater than Josh's.

You are correct on rebounding, I wasn't trying to go hostile since Smith is a pretty good rebounder himself. But Smith on ball defense v. PF is better than Marion but Marion a lot more versatile.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

"Josh has probably been our MVP," coach Mike Woodson said at the time. "I just wish he would've made that All-Star team because he has played like an All-Star this year for us. Everything that we have done from a team standpoint in terms of winning and losing has a great deal to do with the way he has played on both ends of the floor."

Thanks falc82.