• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I take offense to people saying we don't want Orlando

HawkItus

Isn't facing a team against overwhelming odds what got us going on this little incline beyond respectability? I submit the Boston series as the prime witness. The nation expected sweep. The Celtics expected sweep. But, along the way somebody forgot to tell the good guys they had a death scene. They fought hard. Confidence was forged and a blood lust to rival that of any I've ever seen became the crying call for a moribund franchise. Beat Boston. 2 years later we own that team. I think the same could happen against this Magic squad. To be the man you have to beat the man. The Magic are the team most likely to rival our squad for Eastern dominance over the next 2 years. Lebron yes is a magical player, but wherever he ends up in free agency he will face a daunting task. In Cleveland Shaq and Z are old. They are way over the cap and don't have the talent that the Magic and Hawks boast. Boston is old and soon to be no more than a also ran. If we want this to be our time Dwight and the guys are who we must set our hate filled eyes on. What better time to do this than now?

ITs not about about respect, being competivie, ESPN, TNT, or any of that. Its about winning a Championship, and the Magic would end all hope of that happening. The reason we can look back at the Boston series is because we had no shot at winning, and guess what, we still didn't win it, but thats ok, because just being competitve and repected was ok in 2007. Now, in 2010, we are a top 3 team in the East. If we play the Magic, unless something huge happens, they will beat us...will anybody gloat about taking them to 7 games? I hope..nor should anybody else.

Hawks fans are messed up in the head. All those years of sucking have destoryed your competitive nature.

Edited by MVP23

ITs not about about respect, being competivie, ESPN, TNT, or any of that. Its about winning a Championship, and the Magic would end all hope of that happening. The reason we can look back at the Boston series is because we had no shot at winning, and guess what, we still didn't win it, but thats ok, because just being competitve and repected was ok in 2007. Now, in 2010, we are a top 3 team in the East. If we play the Magic, unless something huge happens, they will beat us...will anybody gloat about taking them to 7 games? I hope..nor should anybody else.

Hawks fans are messed up in the head. All those years of sucking have destoryed your competitive nature.

Understood, but all this talk about us dropping back to fourth is bogus. If we are truly championship material then we will have to beat the Lakers, Magic, or Cavs at some point. You can't cake walk to a championship. If we aren't good enough to get by the Magic then maybe we aren't good enough to be champions. I think Atlanta fans forget what the NBA has always been about. There is a process to being a champion. Especially in the east. You find a nemesis that you seemingly can't beat and then you learn to beat them. Mean while you get stronger and better for it.

• Premium Member

Understood, but all this talk about us dropping back to fourth is bogus. If we are truly championship material then we will have to beat the Lakers, Magic, or Cavs at some point. You can't cake walk to a championship. If we aren't good enough to get by the Magic then maybe we aren't good enough to be champions. I think Atlanta fans forget what the NBA has always been about. There is a process to being a champion. Especially in the east. You find a nemesis that you seemingly can't beat and then you learn to beat them. Mean while you get stronger and better for it.

I agree with this. We can't avoid both the Cavs and/or the Magic. Those teams are in the way of the Hawks making it to the Finals. I say bring 'em on and let's see how things shake out. All this talk about avoiding this team and dodging that team is scared talk. I hope the actual team doesn't feel the same way. I hope they feel that they are as good as anybody in the East or in the league for that matter. That's the kind of mindset you got to have going into a tough series. :ph34r:

Edited by hawkman

Ah, what an interesting topic..

1. We are NOT a championship-level team. Nor are we an elite team. We are a very good team who has an average-at-best coach, lackluster bench, and a top-heavy team.

2. Avoiding ORL is not "scared talk." It is realistic talk. ORL has KILLED us every time we have played them and has proven that they are a bad matchup for us. At least we had a chance to beat CLE both times...

3. Like MVP said, this isn't 2007 anymore. This team is more talented, and expectations are much higher. No longer is it a Big Three in the East...increasing numbers of people are recognizing it as the Big Four. And until we reach that elite status, we will just have to avoid teams like ORL that stand in our way.

Edited by TheTruth

• Premium Member

1. We are NOT a championship-level team. Nor are we an elite team. We are a very good team who has an average-at-best coach, lackluster bench, and a top-heavy team.

2. Avoiding ORL is not "scared talk." It is realistic talk. ORL has KILLED us every time we have played them and has proven that they are a bad matchup for us. At least we had a chance to beat CLE both times...

3. Like MVP said, this isn't 2007 anymore. This team is more talented, and expectations are much higher. No longer is it a Big Three in the East...increasing numbers of people are recognizing it as the Big Four. And until we reach that elite status, we will just have to avoid teams like ORL that stand in our way.

Oh yes it is scared talk, and I hope the team doesn't want to avoid Orl in the Playoffs when we all know there's a pretty good chance that the they will have to face Orl sooner or later. Before the Bulls became "Da Bulls" they had to beat Detroit. Do you think their first inclination was to "avoid" a Playoff matchup versus the Pistons? It may be realistic that the Magic killed the Hawks in previous matchups, but the Hawks better have their minds on revenge rather than cowering away and hoping another team takes care of their dirty work for them. The path to the Finals goes through either Orl or Cle and the Hawks better be prepared to play AND beat either one of these teams in a 7 game series if they hope to get to the next level. An ATL v Orl or ATL v Cle series is inevitable.

People keep saying, "we have to face Orlando or Cleveland anyway", well Cleveland isnt the problem. We are at least competitive with them. The problem is Orlando and Orlando only.

I think if people play within themselves *cough* Joe Cough* we can beat Cleveland. It simply doesn't matter, we will not beat the Magic unless Dwight is hurt or something like that. Why would you WANT to face a team that would beat us in 5 games, when avoiding them could get us to the finals?

I think you're contradicting yourself somewhat. Number one doesn't jive with number 3. If we're not championship or not elite, why are people recognizing it as the Big Four? We have an average coach, a lackluister bench, and top heavy team....but our expecatations are higher? What expecations do you have if we're not championship, let alone "elite"?

Being "elite" is still one of my pet-peeves I have with announcers, fans...etc. Someone please define what an "elite" team is, because that word is the most overused adjective when people don't really know what defines it.....

I think if people play within themselves *cough* Joe Cough* we can beat Cleveland. It simply doesn't matter, we will not beat the Magic unless Dwight is hurt or something like that. Why would you WANT to face a team that would beat us in 5 games, when avoiding them could get us to the finals?

To get to the Finals we are going to have to beat the Cavs and Orlando. The only question are the order and whether or not we have home court against Orlando.

Boston is toast and the teams in the lower seeds have no chance against the Cavs and Magic in a 7 game series unless there are major injury issues.

Edited by exodus

To get to the Finals we are going to have to beat the Cavs and Orlando. The only question are the order and whether or not we have home court against Orlando.

Boston is toast and the teams in the lower seeds have no chance against the Cavs and Magic in a 7 game series unless there are major injury issues.

But we don't have to necessarily face Orlando to make the ECF and if we made the ECF that would be a HUGE accomplishment

Anyone who would be disappointed by that is crazy

I think you're contradicting yourself somewhat. Number one doesn't jive with number 3. If we're not championship or not elite, why are people recognizing it as the Big Four? We have an average coach, a lackluister bench, and top heavy team....but our expecatations are higher? What expecations do you have if we're not championship, let alone "elite"?

Being "elite" is still one of my pet-peeves I have with announcers, fans...etc. Someone please define what an "elite" team is, because that word is the most overused adjective when people don't really know what defines it.....

I would define "elite" as any team who has a LEGITIMATE shot at the Finals and winning it. To me, only the Lakers and Cleveland definitely qualify, while Denver and Orlando/Dallas could be argued. In that regard, the Hawks fall far short.

That is the definition I go by. So in that way, what I wrote does in no way contradict itself.

• Premium Member

Not necessarily.

Just like Orlando supposedly holds our punk Card, Boston is a hard out for those other teams. Not to mention the fact that in the playoffs, Boston is an experienced bunch who plays good team defense. In a way, I would rather Boston played Cleveland and we played Orlando. I don't think Cleveland (without Shaq) can really beat Boston in a 7 game series. Not unless David Stern shows his hand.

Not necessarily.

Just like Orlando supposedly holds our punk Card, Boston is a hard out for those other teams. Not to mention the fact that in the playoffs, Boston is an experienced bunch who plays good team defense. In a way, I would rather Boston played Cleveland and we played Orlando. I don't think Cleveland (without Shaq) can really beat Boston in a 7 game series. Not unless David Stern shows his hand.

Boston's bench is garbage. They don't have Posey any more who was huge for them in their title run. Sheed sucks. Boston's time is up. They will finish 4th and the Cavs are going to spank them, assuming Boston makes it to the second round.

If we are playing the way we are capable of playing, BRING ON ANY TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS....I'M NOT SCARED.

Orlando and Cleveland in the second round, I'm worried. But, let's cross that bridge when we get to it. There's no guarantee we make it out of the first round. Same for Boston, they're having issues right now. But that alll could change. The top 4 in the East are strong, it appears....but I can see Boston or...ahem...Atlanta getting knocked off in the beginning. Orlando and Cleveland just seem too strong not to advance past the 1st round.

There's no question our second round opponent - Orlando or Cleveland would be a challenge, underdogs. At this point, I would be happy to be in that situation....

• Premium Member

and there lies the problem.

Dude...

Don't you think it's very hypocritical to say that we shouldn't be so negative on Marvin and then turn around and see you with Orlando Magic Pum Pums and a Lebron James Jersey on?

The question must be asked, are you a Hawks fan or a Marvin fan?

MVP = Marvin's Very Precious?