• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin bashing is getting old, unwarranted, and hypocritical

MVP23

I know there is a Marvin Thread, but what I have to say is too big for one little reply so....I already expect plenty thumbs down, so it doesn't matter.

For starts, 2005 was 5 years ago, and people still bust no pun intended on this guy. He is what he is. How many points have YOU scored in the NBA?

Secondly, the dude is averaging 10 and 5. Not outstanding, not eye popping, but blue collar nimbers for a dude that is the 6 option of this team. He can't post because of Smoove, Zaza and Al, and he can't be on the outside with Joe, Craw, and or Bibs, maybe even Teague at times. What else can he do? Do you expect him to drop 19 a game getting putback slams? If so...please, just log off. He isn't even in his prime yet. And the funny thing is the people that bust on Marvin are the same people that defend Joes atrocious shot selection. Joe Johnson is averaging a grand total of 21 points a game. 5 rebounds, a 4 assists. he plays almost 10 more mins than Marvin, and is the focal point of our offense....you mean to tell me Marvin couldn't do that as the nimber one option?....

Marvin is our glue.

Edited by MVP23
  • Like 3

Yeah I like Marvin too.

It doesn't matter what Marvin does, unless he can average 20 per game and act like someone stole his dog, he will be bashed by many on this board.

I think Marvin still has a lot of potential. I think once Joe is gone and Marvin gets more looks, his game will be much improved.

• Premium Member

All I wish for at this point is for the two sides to come to a consensus opinion on him. I've said at least three times in the past month or so that Marvin simply isn't a good or bad enough player to merit all of these threads.

I think we just need a Marvin sticky. Then every new Marvin thread will get merged into that one. I think eventually people will tire of posting in that thread.

840937-Beatingadeadhorse.gif

Diesel has been posting on Marvin for over three years now. It will never stop.

• Premium Member

Had to wait a long time for Marvin to have a good game, so you could do this post, huh?

Marvin needs to work on hitting WIDE OPEN JUMPSHOTS, he could avg.15 pts on that alone.

Marvin gets 8.3 shots per game right now. If everything else remains constant, Marvin would have to shoot somewhere between 67 and 75% from the floor, depending on whether his 3-point percentage was 30% or 50%, in order to average 15ppg.

The league leader is shooting 61.4% from the floor. No one has shot higher than 65% since Artis Gilmore was in his prime. So yeah, it would be REAL easy for Marvin to average 15ppg. He'd just have to shatter NBA records for efficiency to do it.

MVP's right. He's the 6th option. Expecting him to score more than the low double digits is kinda ridiculous. Whose shots would go down so his could go up?

Edited by niremetal

Hypocritical??

look at the third comment.

look 8th comment.

What does this have to do with anything? For starters, those were from 1 month ago, and second, I never said I wasn't a Joe fan for the 738383th time. He is just pissing me off this year..

Hypocritical??

look at the third comment.

look 8th comment.

See the point that you miss, with all the statistics, is that Marvin gets wide open shots in our offense. That is, with Joe Craw Al and Smoove, Marvin gets wide open shots. (That's why Joe is moved to SF so often and Craw is inserted, because the SF spot in this offense gets wide open jump shots)

Now here is the good part, listen up:

If Marvin were to hit some of the WIDE OPEN JUMP SHOTS that he misses with regularity...now get this, this is wild.....HE WOULD GET MORE WIDE OPEN SHOT ATTEMPTS PER GAME.

Why should Joe Smoove Al Craw continue to pass to Marvin when he is wide open when he doesn't make shots????? He has been so bad this year that sometimes when Marvin receives a pass and is wide open from 15 feet, he puts in on the floor and does something incredibly clumsy and stupid.

All we need from Marvin is defense, a few rebounds and for him to hit WIDE OPEN JUMP SHOTS. Again, very few of Marvin's shots are contested.

What's so strange is, two years ago, all Marvin could do was hit wide open jump shots.

• Premium Member

See the point that you miss, with all the statistics, is that Marvin gets wide open shots in our offense. That is, with Joe Craw Al and Smoove, Marvin gets wide open shots. (That's why Joe is moved to SF so often and Craw is inserted, because the SF spot in this offense gets wide open jump shots)

Now here is the good part, listen up:

If Marvin were to hit some of the WIDE OPEN JUMP SHOTS that he misses with regularity...now get this, this is wild.....HE WOULD GET MORE WIDE OPEN SHOT ATTEMPTS PER GAME.

Why should Joe Smoove Al Craw continue to pass to Marvin when he is wide open when he doesn't make shots????? He has been so bad this year that sometimes when Marvin receives a pass and is wide open from 15 feet, he puts in on the floor and does something incredibly clumsy and stupid.

All we need from Marvin is defense, a few rebounds and for him to hit WIDE OPEN JUMP SHOTS. Again, very few of Marvin's shots are contested.

What's so strange is, two years ago, all Marvin could do was hit wide open jump shots.

I get the feeling that if we do lose Joe Johnson, MVP is going to be missing a left nut.

He doesn't understand that Marvin is simply basking in the shade that Joe provides. When Joe is gone, who's going to provide that shade?

Smoove? Horf? Bibby? I think not.

Joe is not holding Marvin back. Marvin is holding Marvin back.

The excuse machine blame Woody for the gameplan at Sf, however, when Joe plays Sf (this year and Last), he was able to get up good shots

Do you know why Woody said if we get Big Z, he can start tomorrow....?

Because he knows that Josh already plays more like a Sf than Marvin and that Big Z can hit the outside shot.

Marvin is supposed to be bench fodder... Right now, Marvin just happens to be better than Evans (but not for long) and Crawford is in contention for 6th man.

So I will give MVP this advice. Keep your left nut. Make sure you shine that puppy up real good and pray to God, Allah, or whoever you believe in that ASG and Sund Lands Joe.

I get the feeling that if we do lose Joe Johnson, MVP is going to be missing a left nut.

He doesn't understand that Marvin is simply basking in the shade that Joe provides. When Joe is gone, who's going to provide that shade?

Smoove? Horf? Bibby? I think not.

Joe is not holding Marvin back. Marvin is holding Marvin back.

The excuse machine blame Woody for the gameplan at Sf, however, when Joe plays Sf (this year and Last), he was able to get up good shots

Do you know why Woody said if we get Big Z, he can start tomorrow....?

Because he knows that Josh already plays more like a Sf than Marvin and that Big Z can hit the outside shot.

Marvin is supposed to be bench fodder... Right now, Marvin just happens to be better than Evans (but not for long) and Crawford is in contention for 6th man.

So I will give MVP this advice. Keep your left nut. Make sure you shine that puppy up real good and pray to God, Allah, or whoever you believe in that ASG and Sund Lands Joe.

I mean, I'm just speaking facts, I want Marvin to succeed, because that makes us a very good team. There is no way on this earth we can be defended with Marvin making jump shots.

It just seems that by now, Marvin would be able to consistantly give the Hawks, defense, rebounding and wide open mid range shot making; not sure that is a lot to ask.

• Premium Member

I mean, I'm just speaking facts, I want Marvin to succeed, because that makes us a very good team. There is no way on this earth we can be defended with Marvin making jump shots.

It just seems that by now, Marvin would be able to consistantly give the Hawks, defense, rebounding and wide open mid range shot making; not sure that is a lot to ask.

You're right.

When you look at our team....

Joe = Possible Superstar.

Horf = Allstar

Smoove = Allstar.

Craw = Possible Sixth man.

Bibby = Wiley Vet... been there before.

Marvin = guy that we have to make excuses for. But was drafted higher than everybody else on the team and in the franchise's history.

I'm not saying we need 20 a night from Marvin.

Nor I am blaming Marvin for 2005.

But somewhere we have to hold Marvin accountable for what's going on with him in 2010.

In 2010, he still defers on offense.

In 2010, he's less aggressive.

In 2010, he's still inconsistent.

In 2010, he can't hit the side of a barn when he has a wide open look.

In 2010, he still can't put the ball on the floor without tripping over his feet or just running head first into a defender.

Let me give Marvin some credit...

He doesn't turn the ball over.

He doesn't make soft passes.

If there was a stat for the pass before the pass before the assist, Marvin would win that category against most players.

But like you're preaching, He should be in the gym every night taking shots. He should shoot 500 in a row and not go home until he has made the last 30 in a row.

However, Marvin has never struck me to have that kind of dedication to the game. Guys like Raja Bell and James Jones could do the very same thing Marvin does but those guys work hard just to make sure that when the shot goes up, it's going to go in. What is Marvin doing? Any stories about Marvin's tremendous work ethic? The last story I heard of Marvin was that he was working on solving the Rubix cube faaster than anyone else in the league. Really? This is what he said. He was working on solving the Rubix cube faster than other role players like Antoine Wright? Marvin should be working on his shooting. He should be working on his ability to help this team. I still don't think he gets it.