• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who is.."That Guy" on this team?

MVP23

Who is "That Guy"  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A few years ago when we were playing the Celtics, I remember someone saying Atlanta lacked "that guy" that could get them two points when they needed it. "That guy" doesn't even have to be the best player. Last year, "That guy" for Orlando wasn't Dwight (it never will be) it was Hedo. Joe was "that guy" by default for many years...but is he still "that guy"?..Is it Smoove? Horf?...Craw?

• Premium Member

JJ is that guy and will always be that guy as long as he's here. Crawford is pretty close, but maybe I just haven't seen enough of him. Joe has been "OMG" so many times that I just couldn't call it any other way.

We don't have "that guy" on our team.

It's not JJ , because " that guy" could take the ball to the basket and get to the freethrow

line , instead of shooting iso jumpers over and over again.

Free-throw attempts

Josh 342

Jamal 246

JJ 219

Al 211

Joe is 76th in free throw attempts per game.

Yi Jianlian , Hakim Warrick and Reggie Evans get to the ft line more often than JJ

That's just sad

It's not JJ , because " that guy" could take the ball to the basket and get to the freethrow

Free-throw attempts

Josh 342

Jamal 246

JJ 219

Al 211

Yi Jianlian , Hakim Warrick and Reggie Evans get to the ft line more often than JJ

That's just sad

Exactly. Joe doesn't get to the FT line nearly enough. If the team really needs to score, we know that Joe isn't going to take it hard to the rim. That is a major flaw in his game.

• Premium Member

I've got the lone vote for Bibby...

I'll explain.

While defenses focus on Jamal and Joe, I think Bibby has to be that guy who hits the open shot.

I honestly don't think that Josh and Horf knows how to take over a game yet. I mean, i think they may want to but the defensive pressure is something special to them.

Joe can take over a game and can hit shots, but again, the defensive pressure is always on Joe.

Jamal does a good job of taking pressure off of Joe and Jamal has hit big shots. However, I don't know if he's always money coming down the stretch.

Bibby is a guy who can be money down the stretch. The sad thing is that Bibby is having a bad shooting year. If Bibby could turn things around by the playoffs, he will be that guy.

In last years playoffs, Bibby shot 46% from the field and 54% from three.

Look at the game against Cleveland in the playoffs.

They dominated us. They beat us by 20 something. They outrebounded us by 8. They killed us on the offensive glass. Shooting wise, we didn't shoot that much worst than them, because Bibby was "that guy". The main problem was that their star outplayed our star. Joe had a big target on his back. You can't be that guy when their whole team is guarding you.

Therefore, Bibby had to step it up and he did.

Free-throw attempts

Josh 342

Jamal 246

JJ 219

Al 211

That's just sad

That's the only thing keeping him from being an elite player. The key to JJ's game, because he doesn't draw a lot of fouls, is making the floater in the lane. When he's taking and making that shot, the high percentage that he shoots on that shot helps to reduce the impact his not getting to the line has. He's not going to plow or flop into people to draw contact, so he needs to take and make that floater. Once he does that, it opens up the rest of his game from the perimeter.

But as far as having "that guy" in the mold of Kobe or Wade, we don't have "that guy" on our team.

• Premium Member

But as far as having "that guy" in the mold of Kobe or Wade, we don't have "that guy" on our team.

I obviously didn't understand the nature of the question. I thought they were asking for the guy who could hit big shots for us in a pinch. I didn't know they were talking about superstar scoring. We don't have a that guy if that's the case. I agree. I think our team will be a lot different than any other team in the league and actually, I think it can be for the better. We don't have one guy down the stretch. We don't have a that guy. We have those guys.

Going into the season, I remember talking about the winning that will follow with us having:

Joe, Jamal, and Bibby on the floor at the same time.

The reason we have beaten Boston so soundly all year long is because they can't defend us. They are use to stopping us by stopping one guy, maybe two. However, when we go to Joe, Jamal, and Bibs, we have three guys who can drop shots with the best of them.

IF Bibby breaks out of his shooting funk, I believe that we will be a team that nobody will want to play in the playoffs.

Now Northcyde is convinced that all we have to worry about is the top 8. But realistically we should know that foul trouble is something terrible. We need to develop our bench in the time we have left.

I'll explain.

While defenses focus on Jamal and Joe, I think Bibby has to be that guy who hits the open shot.

I honestly don't think that Josh and Horf knows how to take over a game yet. I mean, i think they may want to but the defensive pressure is something special to them.

Joe can take over a game and can hit shots, but again, the defensive pressure is always on Joe.

Jamal does a good job of taking pressure off of Joe and Jamal has hit big shots. However, I don't know if he's always money coming down the stretch.

Bibby is a guy who can be money down the stretch. The sad thing is that Bibby is having a bad shooting year. If Bibby could turn things around by the playoffs, he will be that guy.

They dominated us. They beat us by 20 something. They outrebounded us by 8. They killed us on the offensive glass. Shooting wise, we didn't shoot that much worst than them, because Bibby was "that guy". The main problem was that their star outplayed our star. Joe had a big target on his back. You can't be that guy when their whole team is guarding you.

I agree. I think Woody should leave Bibs in down the stretch in games instead of taking him out for Craw...when they both can be on the floor at the same time...but thats Woody for you.

I'll explain.

I agree with you 100%