• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lets Keep It 100 Vol1

PureGreatness

People on ths webste has speculaed that JJ is not coming back simpy due to money. I beg to differ. You see JJ doesn't want to come back because he knows the deal. He knows that atlanta is not going to be contenders unless the hawks change some thngs but wit the hawks STILL in court those things wont happen to JJ likings.

1) He knows Woody is no good coach. Don't letwhat he been saying fool you guys.He knew Woody was coming back regardless of what the players said so here was no need in bad mouthing him. He hates woodys offensive schemes(if thats what you want to call them). Joe basically said "you know what, lt me finish my contract and im out f here!"

2nd) He knows THIS TEAM can't win with Smith and Horford playing out of position(yes josh is a SF), unfurtunatley the tea that employed him drafted Marvin "the bust " Williams. gain i stress THIS TEAM!

3rd) He know he cn't win with him as the # option, Joe knows this HE EVEN SAID E WANTS TO BE A SECOND OPTION! Which leads me to the 4th and inal reason

4th) He wants to win a a chmpionship in which he cant do here. We are NOT going to beat Orlando because orlando is built for he halfcourt game whcih is why they crush the hell out of the hawks 3 times his season. People that wasn't no fluke. The reason we play cleveland close is because cleveland likes to run which help us the only difference is they got lebron. Joe knows the chances of wade to cleveland is slim. Lebron knows it but he knows he can ge Joe.

What i can see hapening is we signing Rudy Gay because we cant afford a superstar, get a penetrating PG, a starting qaulity Center and a better head coach. but thats reasonablebut i dont think thats gonna happen.

• Like 1

A few things to point out.

1) Joe is entirely in Woody's corner, Woody's offensive scheme is what has allowed Joe to thrive and be the allstar that he is. The offense is built around him, I don't know how you can say a player hates that.

2) Josh is not a SF, period and exclamation point. When Matt Bonner beats you off the dribble you have unequivocally proven that you are weak on perimeter defense and that doesn't even speak to his offense for the position.

3) Orlando is actually faster in pace than Cleveland and we are slower than Cleveland in pace meaning we play more halfcourt than the both of them. The reason why Orlando dominates us is that they have a legit post threat and surround him with shooters whereas Clev just goes iso Lebron.

4) No it is not reasonable at all to sign Rudy Gay (he turned down a 10 million a year extension with the Grizz), find some Center and a PG out of nowhere without trading our core and then signing a championship caliber coach which leads me to.....

5) If Joe doesn't resign with us it WILL be about money. When it comes to his contract we hold the better cards but I feel that Joe would want more than just getting his. You are right that Joe would want a championship and that means management opening up their wallets to not only resign him but also surround him with better talent and depth. No more Thomas Gardners, Jeremy Richardsons and God please no more Mario Wests. No more Jason Collins or Joe Smiths, bring in actual MLE quality depth. We've seen how much he's already thrived with Jamal and we know that this core is good enough for 50 wins so I can guarantee you that he will not resign here if management decides just resigning him is our only offseason move. If the choice is between remaining on a team with the same core that is good enough to compete but not enough to get over the top or go to another team with another star that can then hell yea he's gone but it all starts with money.

• Like 2

2nd) He knows THIS TEAM can't win with Smith and Horford playing out of position(yes josh is a SF), unfurtunatley the tea that employed him drafted Marvin "the bust " Williams. gain i stress THIS TEAM!

What i can see hapening is we signing Rudy Gay because we cant afford a superstar, get a penetrating PG, a starting qaulity Center and a better head coach. but thats reasonablebut i dont think thats gonna happen.

These two points make you lose all credibility.

Smoove is not a SF. You can't have the worst perimeter shooter in the entire NBA starting at SF. You can't have an interior oriented SF, PF, & C and be effective. It simply crowds the paint too much......not to mention it takes Smoove out of the paint on many defensive possessions where he cannot effect interior shots with his shot blocking.

Next..........you obiviously have no idea how the CBA works. Even if the Hawks let JJ walk the money is not there under the cap to sign Gay. That has nothing to do with the owners being cheap or the court case...........it has everything to do with he CBA. Fpr the 1,000,0000th time. Teams can only go over the salary cap to resign their own free agents, not other teams free agents. This is what makes the NBA different from MLB with the Yankees and Redsox.

Its so funny to me how the posters without knowlege have the strongest opinions but I guess that is what the hawksquawk is all about.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I'd like to know how we can sign Rudy Gay when even if assuming Joe leaves we wouldn't have the money under the cap to offer him a competitive offer. I mean don't get me wrong I like Rudy Gay and I made deals to get Marvin off the team for him in NBA 2k10 but I don't confuse that game with reality.

Every one else has already pointed out some of the huge flaws in the other points but the idea of randomly signing Rudy Gay just kinda cracked me up. Why don't we see if Bosh will sign a MLE deal while we're at it too? :snowballfight:

I just want to put this question out there, and I will confess that most of the posters on this board will likely know this answer better than me. I'm impressed with the level of Hawks/NBA knowledge a lot of you guys possess. This question addresses my biggest Joe Johnson Max Contract fear:

Do you think that if Joe Johnson got a max contract, he would go into cruise control for the rest of his career?

If Joe gets his money, will that be enough for him? Does he have that killer instinct, where they paycheck just isn't enough, and he HAS to win a championship? I honestly go back and forth on this. Sometimes I feel like I see that desire in him; sometimes I'm not certain.

I'm fine with paying Joe max dollars if I believe that he's going to give this team 100% every night. I'm just concerned about him seeing the max contract as "the finish line", rather than "the starting line" on a whole new level for himself and for this team.

I'm honestly torn. What do you guys think?

• Premium Member

I don't think Joe will coast but I think it is a fair question to wonder what Joe will look like in the last 2-3 years of a max contract. I don't doubt his competitive fire but I don't think he will resign here. He wants to win a ring and he wants to be the second option. I don't see him doing that in Atlanta.

I don't think Joe will coast but I think it is a fair question to wonder what Joe will look like in the last 2-3 years of a max contract. I don't doubt his competitive fire but I don't think he will resign here. He wants to win a ring and he wants to be the second option. I don't see him doing that in Atlanta.

I think JJ can continue his prime years through the age of 32. At 33, year #5 of his new contract, is where I believe we will see a drop off. With his size he could be a full time SF in a few years.

As long as the Hawks give a good showing in the playoffs I think the Hawks will have a good chance at keeping him. Now if we go out in the 1st round then JJ is as good as gone.

Edited by coachx

How the heck is Smoove a SF? You can't be a small forward with the worst jump shot % in the entire NBA. Plus his ball handling skills are questionable as well.

Only Joe himself knows what he will do and he chose free agency because he has nothing to lose. The only way he would lose would be if he had a horrible year, which

he didn't. He is in the driver's seat.

A few things to point out.

NO....HE....IS....NOT IN WOODYS CORNER! He knows woodson is a sorry *ss coach. He knows the hawks dont have the cash to get a big name coach, even if they did they had the money they wouldnt spend it.

YES HE IS A SF! He will be fine if he is a SF. Yes he cant shoot big whoop he can post up SF have you thought about that. Ladies and Gentlemen he will be fine. If he cant play SF like every poster on here says he can't than do you think he is a career PF? Al dont want to play C for the rest of his career. Unfortunatley Woodson dont know a damn thing about offense. So if you saying that smith is NOT a SF in woodsons offense than your right and i stand corrected.

They have a legit ATHLETIC post player who can kick out to legit 3 point shooters...proven me right that they are tailor maid for post season bball. Didnt they spank the cavs last year who had iso lebron. yo think iso Joe will be better?

everything else you said i agree with.

I'd like to know how we can sign Rudy Gay when even if assuming Joe leaves we wouldn't have the money under the cap to offer him a competitive offer. I mean don't get me wrong I like Rudy Gay and I made deals to get Marvin off the team for him in NBA 2k10 but I don't confuse that game with reality.

Every one else has already pointed out some of the huge flaws in the other points but the idea of randomly signing Rudy Gay just kinda cracked me up. Why don't we see if Bosh will sign a MLE deal while we're at it too? :snowballfight:

Exactly. I guess people think we can sign Rudy Gay for 4 - 5 million or something. He's going to get a nice contract himself. He'll defintiely get more than what Marvin got.

• Premium Member

I just want to put this question out there, and I will confess that most of the posters on this board will likely know this answer better than me. I'm impressed with the level of Hawks/NBA knowledge a lot of you guys possess. This question addresses my biggest Joe Johnson Max Contract fear:

Do you think that if Joe Johnson got a max contract, he would go into cruise control for the rest of his career?

If Joe gets his money, will that be enough for him? Does he have that killer instinct, where they paycheck just isn't enough, and he HAS to win a championship? I honestly go back and forth on this. Sometimes I feel like I see that desire in him; sometimes I'm not certain.

I'm fine with paying Joe max dollars if I believe that he's going to give this team 100% every night. I'm just concerned about him seeing the max contract as "the finish line", rather than "the starting line" on a whole new level for himself and for this team.

I'm honestly torn. What do you guys think?

Well, Joe could have coasted at 70 Million. I think Joe has it in him to win. He's a winner. 100% every night is a no. But I look at Joe like I look at Ray Allen. He's a guy who's going to get you in a position to win... he just can't do it alone.