• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Owner Calls Josh Smith 'Closest Thing to LeBron'

HawkItus

Josh Smith: the closest thing to Lebron in the League  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

are you selling that rookie card of him of have yet LMAO , he isnt NOT the team MVP NOT EVEN CLOSE, but he is one those important pieces , what is it with you and josh smith first hes better than joe ? really

Outside of scoring Josh does almost everything better than Joe. Despite playing 3MPG and handling the ball a lot more Joe only averages .7APG more. If Josh played with his head consistently he would be the best player on this team.

Outside of scoring ability it's a lot closer than people think. Josh Smith's play in the playoffs seems to be steady more often than not, but he has been really effective in the first two games of this series.

I would have been disappointed if Josh didn't play well in this series considering a shorter and smaller defender is trying to cover him, not going to happen. So this is kinda overhyped because of the playoffs. If he puts up similar numbers from game 2 against Orlando/Cleveland then people will take notice, we're talking ECSF or ECF, big time games.

Outside of scoring Josh does almost everything better than Joe. Despite playing 3MPG and handling the ball a lot more Joe only averages .7APG more. If Josh played with his head consistently he would be the best player on this team.

ok giving his position he SHOULD avg more blocks and rebounds , so lets throw that out the window, joe is a better on ball defender than josh hands down, but josh is good at anticipating passes, and the reason he avgs almost the same amount of assists is because most of josh drives they double down because he is a dunk threat so 2 on 1 must mean somebodys open? also he gets about 3 ORBPG so most of them are quick passes out the hole to an open man once again.. your arguement holds absolutely no weight with me over here bascially he is a lamar odom in miami with a better shootin % and 1 more block a game, and we all know why josh is shooting so good, he MUST lead the league in dunks or be close with LBJ , i see at least 3 josh alley oops a game and maybe 1 fast break dunk because u know hes not a GREAT shooter

ok giving his position he SHOULD avg more blocks and rebounds , so lets throw that out the window, joe is a better on ball defender than josh hands down, but josh is good at anticipating passes, and the reason he avgs almost the same amount of assists is because most of josh drives they double down because he is a dunk threat so 2 on 1 must mean somebodys open? also he gets about 3 ORBPG so most of them are quick passes out the hole to an open man once again..

So what? Those are the strengths of Josh's game. He can make others better without having to have the ball in his hands so much. For a "near elite" scoring SG JJ is not really Reggie Miller or Ray Allen shooting wise. heck, given JJ's position and role on the team he should shoot more ft's than he does.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

So what? Those are the strengths of Josh's game. He can make others better without having to have the ball in his hands so much. For a "near elite" scoring SG JJ is not really Reggie Miller or Ray Allen shooting wise. heck, given JJ's position and role on the team he should shoot more ft's than he does.

and who exactly is prime ray allen or reggie miller shooting wise? that is a weak argument to me and your just looking for any way possible to down JJ who has been playin great basketball, hell if you want to go their it dont matter how many time u go to the line when your only shootin 60% on the season, heres something interesting , JJ has hit 220 Fts this season while josh has hit 41 more on 153 more attempts .. so points off free throws over Joe this season(counting the 1 game josh sat) .. per game is a whopping .5 a game, WHAT A DIFFERENCE

and who exactly is prime ray allen or reggie miller shooting wise? that is a weak argument to me and your just looking for any way possible to down JJ who has been playin great basketball, hell if you want to go their it dont matter how many time u go to the line when your only shootin 60% on the season, heres something interesting , JJ has hit 220 Fts this season while josh has hit 41 more on 153 more attempts .. so points off free throws over Joe this season(counting the 1 game josh sat) .. per game is a whopping .5 a game, WHAT A DIFFERENCE

I'm implying that Joe's jumper isn't gold by any stretch. You don't feel like it's going in every time he shoots it. Joe has been playing great? Go look at his stats against central division opponents. He shot 38% this year and 30% in '3s against the division this season. Joe is supposed to be the main scoring option on the team, but even Crawford is better at getting to the free throw line.

Joe had a good year, and he's a top 3 player on the team... But he isn't running away with the best player on the team honors like some want to make out.

I'm implying that Joe's jumper isn't gold by any stretch. You don't feel like it's going in every time he shoots it. Joe has been playing great? Go look at his stats against central division opponents. He shot 38% this year and 30% in '3s against the division this season. Joe is supposed to be the main scoring option on the team, but even Crawford is better at getting to the free throw line.

Joe had a good year, and he's a top 3 player on the team... But he isn't running away with the best player on the team honors like some want to make out.

yes joe has had some bad games, it happens to everybody, kobe is shooting like SH&% right now but he gets a pass on his finger, but joe ? its just an excuse and i KNOW youre not about to put horford over joe LMAO and it BETTER not be Craw .. and name 5 SG better in the league then joe, and ill name more PF better than josh

ILL GO FIRST, matter of fact

Dirk

Amare

Bosh

Stoudemire

David Lee

Duncan

Boozer

SG:

Kobe

D whistle

Roy

• Premium Member

Go look at his stats against central division opponents.

Oh my goodness, are you serious??? What, did you just look at his split stats page and look for the category in which Joe performed the worst? Selection bias much?

Edited by niremetal

• Moderators

yes joe has had some bad games, it happens to everybody, kobe is shooting like SH&% right now but he gets a pass on his finger, but joe ? its just an excuse and i KNOW youre not about to put horford over joe LMAO and it BETTER not be Craw .. and name 5 SG better in the league then joe, and ill name more PF better than josh

Dirk

Amare

Bosh

Stoudemire

David Lee

Duncan

Boozer

IMO:

Josh > David Lee (inflated stats and very little D)

Josh = Amare (I am assuming Amare and Stoudemire are the same person? - Amare's non-existant D and injury history cancel out his offensive advantage)

Dirk > Josh

Duncan > Josh

Bosh > Josh (although the gap is closing with everyone but Dirk)

Carlos Boozer > Josh (I have to say this objectively but I wouldn't think of trading Josh for Boozer)

Edited by AHF

Oh my goodness, are you serious??? What, did you just look at his split stats page and look for the category in which Joe performed the worst? Selection bias much?

I gave the guy a good grade for his season. He had a good season..... But the point is some act like he is the best player on the team by far and that just isn't so. It's true that Josh doesn't always bring his A game, but JJ doesn't do it every night either.

Dirk

Amare

Bosh

Stoudemire

David Lee

Duncan

Boozer

SG:

Kobe

D whistle

Roy

The SG position is not as strong as it was with the decline of Tmac and Carter and Ray Allen. You have guys like Lebron and PP who could play SG and both would have been better as of 2 years ago. PP has probably lost a tad since then though.

David Lee is not better than Josh Smith. Don't be stupid. The guy plays zero defense and is a product of a free for all system. David Lee is NOT a game changer.

IMO:

Josh > David Lee (inflated stats and very little D)

Josh = Amare (I am assuming Amare and Stoudemire are the same person? - Amare's non-existant D and injury history cancel out his offensive advantage)

Dirk > Josh

Duncan > Josh

Bosh > Josh (although the gap is closing with everyone but Dirk)

Carlos Boozer > Josh (I have to say this objectively but I wouldn't think of trading Josh for Boozer)

You might be overrating Boozer a tad.

• Moderators

I would take Josh over Boozer for sure but his per 36 numbers seem pretty solidly ahead:

Boozer - 20.5 pp36, 11.8 rp36, 3.3 ap36, 1.1 sp36, .5 bp36, .599 ts%

Josh - 15.9 pp36, 8.8 rp36, 4.3 ap36, 1.6 sp36, 2.2 bp36, .536 ts%

On paper, Boozer's resume looks slightly better and I haven't seen enough of Boozer to directly compare.

I remember saying Smith was a poor man's Lebron several years ago. That's as close as it gets.

Really, ppl act like Boozer really good, you replace him with Horford and Utah in a year is a #1 seed plus favorites to win a title.

Josh>Boozer

Josh is a legit All Star level player.

Agreed, I think Smith is closing in on JJ and I think in a different system that Horford would be better than JJ. We have a lot of talent, some guys still have a lot of potential like Marvin and Teague.

• Moderators

Really, ppl act like Boozer really good, you replace him with Horford and Utah in a year is a #1 seed plus favorites to win a title.

Josh>Boozer

Josh is a legit All Star level player.

Like I said, that is my gut but given Boozer's reputation, his more productive and efficient scoring and superior rebounding, I was willing to give Boozer over Josh for the sake of argument. No one seems to think, though, that Josh isn't a top 5 PF from what I am seeing.

• Premium Member

Like I said, that is my gut but given Boozer's reputation, his more productive and efficient scoring and superior rebounding, I was willing to give Boozer over Josh for the sake of argument. No one seems to think, though, that Josh isn't a top 5 PF from what I am seeing.

Agreed.

Honestly, fans really underrate Boozer and seem to dislike/disrespect his game, and I'm not sure why. His combination of power, quickness, soft touch on his jumper and fadeaway, good free throw shooting, and solid repertoire of low post moves makes him one of the toughest post players to defend in the NBA. Really, only Dwight, Bosh, Duncan, and Amare are as tough or tougher to defend amongst PF/Cs right now. He is also a very good on-ball defender (better than Josh), though he's a poor help defender. Help defense is the only major weakness in his game, and that just happens to be the area in which Josh most excels. Anyway, you don't post 20 and 11 on a 50+ win team year-in-and-year-out unless you're damned good.

Edited by niremetal