Relax Boys, He's Not Going Anywhere

jaywalker72

Thanks Jay......so basically JT is getting about 7 mil per which is right in line with what we thought he would be getting all along, except for that its half of the length we all thought. I can definitely live with this deal. I have no doubt that JT signed this deal to strictly stay as a Hawk so that he can see where the Hawks are going as a team over the next few years, which is why he turned down the long term deal with us. Now we can show him that we are committed to winning under the new regime and in 3 years time should have enough young players and a FA or 2 to convince him to finish his career here.

• Premium Member

It's very interesting though.

If the deal is for 3 years, Atlanta gets the best of Both worlds. They get to see if JT can play PG and if not, after BYC status wears off, they can trade him before his contract is up.

It really sounds like JT signed a BAD deal trying to force the Hawks hand.

My only question is...

Why wait the 15 days?

To see if there are any SNTs on the horizon?

That makes NO Sense?

There is talk that the Hawks will use the entire 15 days to match in order to tie up Utah's cap space and prevent them from negotiating with other FAs. The idea is that it would give the Hawks time negotiate with those FAs while Utah's hands are tied. The problem with that theory is that as of today, Utah has spent less than $27 million in salaries. Even if they offer JT a frontloaded contract with a starting salary of $10 million, they would still have only $37 million in salaries committed. With the cap being $43.8 million, that leaves them almost $7 million to go out and sign other FAs, even with the $10 million tied up in JT. Seeing that they have multiple roster spots to fill, I guess it theoretically could prevent them from signing more than one guy but if we are directly competing with them for one guy, they still have enough space to offer the guy more than we can.

They may be just stringing Utah along by making them wait, dragging out the 15 days.

It's possible they have already told Terry that they will match, but are waiting to do so for their own reasons.

I thought that Utah had between 13-15 million as well, meaning they could use whatever was left over from Jt to sign other players, but I am not as well versed on their cap situation as some others who tell me that it does hinder them somewhat.

I think JT signed the deal out of frustration because they Hawks wouldn't offer him the big money he wanted. I think he is truly upset that they have refused to compensate him at the level he wants and as a result, he signed a shorter, frontloaded deal with Utah, hoping the Hawks won't match. The problem for him is that if (make that when) the Hawks match, he screwed himself. He is going to be playing on a 3 year deal when he could have had a 6 or 7 year deal and as Jaywalkwer said, who knows what might happen between now and 3 years from now.

I think this is an EXCELLENT deal for the Hawks from a financial standpoint. It might hurt them this year but who cares? They won't likely be very competitive this season anyway. In 05/06 though, JT's salary will be lower and that is when we need it to be low.

I have a hard time believing that his agent advised him to take this offer from Utah if indeed the Hawks had a longterm offer on the table. I think JT has screwed himself trying to punish the Hawks for not giving him the big deal. Sometimes, you've got to cut your losses.

I don't care if he's upset and I love JT. Fact is he should have signed the contract he wanted from the Hawks with Utah else he should have taken the one year tender. A definite change in the way Hawks go about business is in order but if Jt's initial demands were above market value which it seems they were then the Hawks did the right thing. If we win JT will be happy and if he is a part of it he will be paid. If we lose no one is happy but JT will be able to leave and all our cap will be available.

There is still so much work to be done. It's alittle less

frustrating the team will not lose JT for nothing. The

thought of Dickau/Hansen and Diaw all being starters

just doesn't sit well at all. Perhaps we will trade JT

at the deadline or something? We'd be stuck with Dan

starting but if Terry doesn't want to be here we'd atleast

get something in return.

• Admin

But JT sure as [censored] doesn't want them to. He went for the shorter deal because he knows the Hawks will match the offer. He also knows that this team is a long way from contending for anything.

You're not going to get the straight scoop asking around the Hawks organization. They are going to say what they have to say from top to bottom.

Well, I guess you can say hypothesis, since theories are proven.

I bet the Hawks offered a deal that was close to but lower than the deal Andre Miller got. In the long run, it would be more money per year than the deal he is about to get.

I feel that JT was wanting a contract more along the lines of the deal Gilbert Arenas got.

JT is signing the shorter deal with the hope that he will get a much larger deal in three years.

This is good for both parties really. Atlanta doesn't commit a lot of money long term, and JT gets the opportunity to prove himself as a point guard in the NBA. If Atlanta wins, JT gets a renegotiation and an extension onto the end of this deal.