• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

For all the bashing of Joe......

HawkItus

So you are in favor of what? Tank next season and try to get the top pick or let JJ go and look at a run for either the 8th playoff spot or a late lottery pick?

Even if we lose J.J. we still have a solid base.

Bibby/Teague

??/West

Marvin/???

Smith/???

Horford/Zaza

We have two All Stars in Smith and Horford. We both know that their PF's and will probably be exposed next season as such. The thing is, both have a lot of trade value. In the market where teams want to stay under a certain range, we have flexibility with these two. We can actually get a very high quality player for either one of these players. Most likely an all star since both players have high impact value and both are young with no lingering injuries. I would build around the one I keep. We still have Chillz rights and he's not going for more than the MLE. The rest is up to management even though I have my own assessments as well. But either way, we have pieces with or w/o JJ.

Honestly, the 8th spot-lottery might suck to watch but it's financially rewarding for ATL Spirit. Plus it gives you time to evaluate your options and then make a trade if you didn't like the market in 2010. We have options but keeping JJ is just not a smart one at this point. I would keep him if Dwight and Lebron would go to the West and D. Wade was stuck with the same Heat squad as he has to date.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

I'll tell you that I view the 8th playoff spot/late lottery scenario as the worst-case scenario for this team. If we become mediocre, we will continue drafting players that aren't stars and will have to depend on Horford/Smith to become elite. If they are enough to become elite, then I think that has a better chance of happening with JJ on the team as well.

I'll take my chances on a coach being able to make us more than the 3rd in the East and first round upset territory if we can afford it.

I'll tell you that I view the 8th playoff spot/late lottery scenario as the worst-case scenario for this team. If we become mediocre, we will continue drafting players that aren't stars and will have to depend on Horford/Smith to become elite. If they are enough to become elite, then I think that has a better chance of happening with JJ on the team as well.

I'll take my chances on a coach being able to make us more than the 3rd in the East and first round upset territory if we can afford it.

We still would be too talented to the point where we could draft anyone who would have a chance to be really good. So we would almost have to bank on good scouting around the league and understanding our roster to the teeth to make trades that benefit either Horford or Smith. Which ever one we choose to make our #1 or #2 option. Both will need a playmaker who can set them up for easy baskets. That's the first objective for the organization if JJ not resigned. I just don't see Smith becoming elite offensively, defensively he's already there.

Good post guys! Post like this is why I joined the site after lurking for so long. I keep saying people mention how talented ATL is. The Hawks are talented but are also a very top heavy team. The bench isn't giving the starters much help. The difference between the Hawks and Cavs, Magic, Celtics etc is bench depth.

The Hawks bench was out scored 37-19 yesterday and 41-7 a few days before that. If you look at how competitive other teams benches are it is the difference between being a contender or not. Mo Evans makes 1.25million more than Matt Barnes. Talk about getting your monies worth. The same goes for the Celtics getting Michael Finley for the same thing ATL plays Mario West. There is just so much pressure on the starters that it causes them to press sometimes.

Josh Smith thinks he is an All-Star. There is no better time for him to play like one than now. Marvin Williams proved why he was so coveted 5 years ago BUT we must see that kind of performance more than we see the normal. If they find a way to win tomorrow I think they win the series. Joe Johnson is a 1st option in my opinion. The only players in the NBA I could see him having to defer to is Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Carmelo, and Durant.

Hawks fans, Joe Johnson is a first scoring option. I As a Bucks fan, I'm scared to death everytime the ball is in his hands. Talent wise, you guys are a couple bench players aways from being a championship-caliber team. But thats raw tallent we're talking about. The Hawks lack basketball IQ, coaching, and heart. As far as talent level you guys are loaded with weapons who haven't quite figured it out. And in my opinion, even though he can heat up, Bibby kills your team. I'm always excited when he's in because he can't gaurd ANYONE. And Josh Smith is pretty immature too.

Hawks fans, Joe Johnson is a first scoring option. I As a Bucks fan, I'm scared to death everytime the ball is in his hands. Talent wise, you guys are a couple bench players aways from being a championship-caliber team. But thats raw tallent we're talking about. The Hawks lack basketball IQ, coaching, and heart. As far as talent level you guys are loaded with weapons who haven't quite figured it out. And in my opinion, even though he can heat up, Bibby kills your team. I'm always excited when he's in because he can't gaurd ANYONE. And Josh Smith is pretty immature too.

Thanks for the insight Milwaukee

Thanks for the fair and unbalanced opinion. I agree.

• Premium Member

I do agree that you change coaches, before you blow up the squad. But we know where the problems with this team lies.

- point guard

- defense at the point guard position

- defensive rebounding

- offensive execution

- an out of balance roster

Change coaches . . . but those other issues better be addressed as well. As you know, this is not as simple as changing a coach. The Hawks are not that talented as to assume that a mere coaching change will vault us to "elite" status.

The point is that under a new coach, you don't know how these things will turn out.

When we moved from Bob Weiss to Lenny Wilkens, Lenny got the most out of what most believed was a unfixably flawed team.

• Premium Member

Seriously? TS and eFG are real FG%. PPG is a useless stat if you don't take efficiency into consideration.

Because the road losses have been the problem. Why is that a difficult concept?

As a fan, I want an NBA championship for the Hawks. I'm not content with 1st/2nd round exits.

Joe Johnson is a good NBA player who can contribute to a championship team. He cannot do that on this Atlanta Hawks team because he's expected to carry the team. Simple as that.

If you don't realize that JJ is the reason that we're in the playoffs or the reason that we have playoffs wins PERIOD.. then you're blind to the facts H.

The facts are that the other guys we have a 4th and 5th options on a good team IF THAT.

The facts are that JJ is a marked man every time he comes to play.

The facts are that SCORING Means something.

The fact are that over the past 3 playoffs, JJ has:

20, 4, and 4

16, 5, and 4

23, 5, and 6

per game scoring, rebs, and assists.

That's as a first option Scorer at SG...

And this is what you want to hurl attacks against?

I've posted this question to JJ haters and I've seen others post it and STILL haven't seen it answered so I'm going to ask again:

IF WE DON'T SIGN JOE, WHO DO YOU EXPECT WE CAN GET TO BE OUR "SUPERSTAR"?

It must be a realistic option. Personally, Joe is pretty damn good for what we can currently get in the free agent market.