• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody wants more ball movement

HawksFan87

I'm shocked!!

Instead, Woodson said the offense stagnated late in the game, when Milwaukee came back from a nine-point deficit in the final four minutes to win. He said there were too many one-pass possessions involving guards Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford.

“You can’t do that [against] this team," he said. "If I call something, you’ve got to execute it. There were a few times plays were called, and we didn’t get to them because the ball stopped.”

The Bucks continued their strategy of double-teaming the post with their guards. Woodson said Hawks center Al Horford too often bulled his way into defenders instead of passing out to teammates for open shots.

Horford scored a playoff career-high 25 points but forced at least three of his five shot attempts in the fourth quarter as Milwaukee rallied.

Gearon also said we are not selling the pick!!

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/woodson-wants-more-ball-506564.html

• Moderators

I like seeing that on the pick:

Gearon said the team is not looking to sell its first-round draft pick (No. 24 overall) in the June draft.

I hope Woody gets his adjustments together and gets them executed.

• Premium Member

Way to go Woody. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Now you've joined the ANTI-JOE movement on Atlanta. I hope you guys are happy.

I guess Gearon is coaching the team now. Idiot should stick to business.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

It's kind of hilarious that Woody is calling for more ball movement, but probably has no plans to change his "system" under which the lead guard is usually a shooting guard rather than a point guard, and in which the predominant plays are ISOs, post-ups, and other 1-on-1 fare. It's kind of like giving a Big Mac to Jason Collins and calling for weight loss.

Edited by niremetal

Ummm...is there a reason that the only person that Woodson singled out was Horford?

REALLY?

LOL yeah it was Horford that took 34 shots to score 24 points with 8 turnovers. Horford is the one who has been stopping the ball and going 1 on 1 late in the game all season long, obviously with the coaches blessing. Oh wait....

Woody is a dumbass. They have been going iso all year late in the game. The time to learn ball movement late in the game was during the regular season, or any of the seasons that preceeded it for that matter.

• Premium Member

Would someone mind to email Michael Cunningham to ask if Horford was the only one specifically mentioned by Woodson? I've used up my emails with the guy...LOL.

I have a feeling we may have gotten partial reporting...

michael.cunningham@ajc.com

Horford was the only consistent player we had in Game 5. He instead decide to throw him under the bus? This guy need to go. He will get another HC job soon as he is let go. His time here is over with.

Woody may need to go. But did you guys read the article or did you just skim thru it? "He said there were too many one-pass possessions involving guards Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford." And he was right about Horford as well..before Horford got going he took some forced shots in the paint that were tough shots. Horford played good in the 4th but he did force some shots down in the post where it's like he has nowhere to go and throws it up.

Everyone is to blame for his lost though

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Woody may need to go. But did you guys read the article or did you just skim thru it? "He said there were too many one-pass possessions involving guards Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford." And he was right about Horford as well..before Horford got going he took some forced shots in the paint that were tough shots. Horford played good in the 4th but he did force some shots down in the post where it's like he has nowhere to go and throws it up.

Thanks, TruJerz. I wasn't sure how to interpret the "one-pass possessions" phrase.

• Like 1

This is the bullsh*t that pisses me off. That bastard let those guys play that way all year, now that it doesn't work so well in the playoffs (no s*** Woody) he now wants ball movement.

If you would have made this team move the ball all year in the 4th qtrs, it wouldn't be so hard to do now.

Please let this dude get fired.

• Like 1

Jerz . . . people see what they want to see man. And you're right about Horford not passing the ball out when he gets the ball into the post. People DO have to move around though. Just don't stand there like statues, waiting on the guy to make his one on one move. Move around, and give that player a reason to pass the ball to you. If people moved when Horford had the ball in the post, maybe he'd pass it out to them.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Jerz . . . people see what they want to see man. And you're right about Horford not passing the ball out when he gets the ball into the post. People DO have to move around though. Just don't stand there like statues, waiting on the guy to make his one on one move. Move around, and give that player a reason to pass the ball to you. If people moved when Horford had the ball in the post, maybe he'd pass it out to them.

And if we had a coach who gave a sh!t about offense, maybe people would move. The problem is that Woody expects that things will just "happen" on offense. Or to use his own words, he doesn't give a sh!t about the offense.

• Premium Member

The funny thing is that more ball movement doesn't always help our offense. When we are playing well usually it centers around the ball movement but I feel sometimes the ball movement hurts us when we aren't playing well. It seems it sometimes leads to more jump shots, putting us back to square one. I know it is better than the one-on-one play that we always do, but as of late when we move the ball it isn't effective ball movement. If we seemed to move it to get somebody open then yeah, we should keep doing it. But the ball movement we have been doing seems forced. Pass it inside, let Al dribble, pass it back out to Joe, Joe passes it again to Crawford, Crawford dribbles and passes it back to Joe and we are pretty much where we started but with only 7 seconds on the clock. How many times have we recently actually passed the ball around to get one of our forwards an open shot in the lane? Can we please get somebody in here to teach effective ball movement to these guys?

• Like 1

The funny thing is that more ball movement doesn't always help our offense. When we are playing well usually it centers around the ball movement but I feel sometimes the ball movement hurts us when we aren't playing well. It seems it sometimes leads to more jump shots, putting us back to square one. I know it is better than the one-on-one play that we always do, but as of late when we move the ball it isn't effective ball movement. If we seemed to move it to get somebody open then yeah, we should keep doing it. But the ball movement we have been doing seems forced. Pass it inside, let Al dribble, pass it back out to Joe, Joe passes it again to Crawford, Crawford dribbles and passes it back to Joe and we are pretty much where we started but with only 7 seconds on the clock. How many times have we recently actually passed the ball around to get one of our forwards an open shot in the lane? Can we please get somebody in here to teach effective ball movement to these guys?

That's because our guards are more individually skilled oriented and not quite good playmakers. Another thing is Smith has little awareness in the post and Horford can't back down a center consistently. That hurts us in the flow of the game. As much as Bibby seems to have very little impact, just like Derek Fisher, things just do not flow the same with him out of the game.

• Like 1

And if we had a coach who gave a sh!t about offense, maybe people would move. The problem is that Woody expects that things will just "happen" on offense. Or to use his own words, he doesn't give a sh!t about the offense.

But I thought these players won games by themselves?

If that's the case . . .why can't they THINK FOR THEMSELVES?

Some of you say that the players don't listen to Woody . . so why can't they think on their own? Did Woody take their brain or something? Man . . I've played organized basketball both on the high school level as an All-Region player and was rooted to the pine for one year in college. Moving without the ball is one of the fundamental parts of basketball. That ish is taught in HIGH SCHOOL.

Josh Childress had no problem whatsoever moving without the basketball. That's why he found himself in position to get lay-ups and grab offensive rebounds out of nowhere. Just because a dude is in an ISO situation, doesn't mean that you have to watch him. You CAN still keep moving. And you don't need a coach to tell you when to move. That's the biggest thing a player like Marvin Williams could do to help himself as a player.

These players are not robots that have to be told EVERYTHING to do. Some stuff should just come from the thousands of hours that they've played basketball all their lives.

But if Horford has the ball down on the block, and the other 4 guys are just sitting there watching him, what do people expect to happen? Make a cut to the hole and see what happens. People don't even crash the boards when Horford shoots. That's why when he misses, it's almost always a defensive rebound for the other team, instead of an offensive rebound for us.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1

That's because our guards are more individually skilled oriented and not quite good playmakers. Another thing is Smith has little awareness in the post and Horford can't back down a center consistently. That hurts us in the flow of the game. As much as Bibby seems to have very little impact, just like Derek Fisher, things just do not flow the same with him out of the game.

As evident by Bibby, while giving us nothing offensively in Game 5 . . . still managed to post a +3 plus/minus rating.