• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody wants more ball movement

HawksFan87

• Premium Member

That's because our guards are more individually skilled oriented and not quite good playmakers. Another thing is Smith has little awareness in the post and Horford can't back down a center consistently. That hurts us in the flow of the game. As much as Bibby seems to have very little impact, just like Derek Fisher, things just do not flow the same with him out of the game.

I agree, I always tell my friends that we need Bibby in the game to make our offense flow a little better. Woodson seems determined to keep Jamal in the game during the end of the 4th whether he is playing well or not though. This usually means that either Marvin or Bibby are going to have to sit. Marvin was our early offense in the game Wednesday, his reward? About two more shots and some time on the bench.

• Premium Member

But I thought these players won games by themselves?

If that's the case . . .why can't they THINK FOR THEMSELVES?

Some of you say that the players don't listen to Woody . . so why can't they think on their own? Did Woody take their brain or something? Man . . I've played organized basketball both on the high school level as an All-Region player and was rooted to the pine for one year in college. Moving without the ball is one of the fundamental parts of basketball. That ish is taught in HIGH SCHOOL.

Josh Childress had no problem whatsoever moving without the basketball. That's why he found himself in position to get lay-ups and grab offensive rebounds out of nowhere. Just because a dude is in an ISO situation, doesn't mean that you have to watch him. You CAN still keep moving. And you don't need a coach to tell you when to move. That's the biggest thing a player like Marvin Williams could do to help himself as a player.

These players are not robots that have to be told EVERYTHING to do. Some stuff should just come from the thousands of hours that they've played basketball all their lives.

But if Horford has the ball down on the block, and the other 4 guys are just sitting there watching him, what do people expect to happen? Make a cut to the hole and see what happens. People don't even crash the boards when Horford shoots. That's why when he misses, it's almost always a defensive rebound for the other team, instead of an offensive rebound for us.

You can't just lump all the people who disagree with you and assign them all the same arguments. I never, ever said that players win games by themselves. Other people might have, but I never did. I give Woody credit for formulating a defensive system that wins us most of our games.

You really think that moving without the ball is something that can happen haphazardly? You don't think the players should have some idea of what direction they will be moving in? More importantly, you don't think that their teammates should know where they will be going? What about spacing? Is that also something that players should "already know?" I mean, front line soldiers already know how to stand and aim a weapon, but the army still makes sure they have an officer to tell them WHERE to stand and WHERE to aim.

Of course, players CAN do those things on their own. But unless you played in a streetball system in high school and college, I'm guessing that you had offensive sets where the movement and spacing was built in. If not, I'm guessing you lost a lot of games that you should have won. Because it's far more efficient to run a system where each player both knows in advance what they are doing and can predict what the other players will do. Simply expecting that each player "knows what to do" ignores the fact that basketball is a team sport where there are 5 different people who might have 5 non-complementary ideas on what to do.

There is not one single head coach who has even made the Finals in recent NBA history with the attitude you just described towards offense. They all have offensive systems and/or sets in place that, at a bare minimum, specify the default place that each player should go on the floor to start a halfcourt set so that there is appropriate spacing. The triangle, the high-post offense in (run in SAS and DAL), and Sloan's screen roll system all have off-ball movement built in.

But you're satisfied with a system whose philosophy is "the players should already know what to do." Ok.

Edited by niremetal

If people moved when Horford had the ball in the post, maybe he'd pass it out to them.

No need to move when Horford is doubled and tripled teamed, everybody is wide open, but like the article said, he tries to bull his way to 2 points. Similar to JJ being doubled and trying to split it and score, somebody else got to be open. Oh wait, its Smoove standing 2 inches inside the 3-point line.

No need to move when Horford is doubled and tripled teamed, everybody is wide open, but like the article said, he tries to bull his way to 2 points. Similar to JJ being doubled and trying to split it and score, somebody else got to be open. Oh wait, its Smoove standing 2 inches inside the 3-point line.

It's because of frustration, the post players are mad at Craw and JJ. They like usual are not looking to establish the post and they are not even creating for others off of the dribble drive. It's frustrating to play in that when you have a mismatch as a player.

:slap1:

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Horford should be forcing the action inside every single time he's not guarded by Kurt Thomas. Every time.

And the guards should be getting him the ball in a position to score, not to pass back out...

(He has definitely forced up shots against Thomas).