• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith, 2nd Team All NBA Defense

Joker

• Premium Member

How the hell did Smoove get runner up for DPOY and not atleast make 1st team? That's like putting the runner up for MVP on the all NBA 2nd team.

Writers vote for DPOY. Coaches vote for the teams.

LMAO this is joke but I know it would happen. Josh has more Blocks, more steals, and more defensive rebounds than LeBallhog yet he doesn't get the first team spot. That's a joke.

I agree that Smoove should be on the first team. But not because of stats. Stats are an absolutely godawful measure of how good a player is defensively. I'd put him on the first team because no other forward in the NBA alters opposing teams' offensive strategy as much as Smoove does.

Congrats to Smoove !

Ditto - he might have deserved even more, but being on the second team is quite an honor.

• Like 1

I agree with the coaches, he's great but his overall impact on defense as of now isn't on Wallace's level. Kobe the best defensive SG, Bron without question is at SF, and Wallace is a SF but his defensive impact is higher than Smith's for now. For Smith to be a perennial 1st teamer. He needs to play next to a true center or a Sheed type(Det) type of PF. Has the size to defend centers is what I'm saying.

Smoove got screwed. Neither Lebron or Wallace are as good as he is. Lebron being first team is frankly laughable.

You seriously do not think Bron isn't the defender that Smith is? Off the ball D, he the best we have in the L. On ball D is elite when he's not trying to conserve energy. He's just like Smoove with blocks except doesn't go for that many attempts and is better open court. Better rebounder. Amazing per on defense as well. I just don't know what your trying to say. Is Smith individually better defensively given the right setup, yes. But with Horford, that will not happen and teams around the league do not see him like other fans and hawksquawkers see him. I don't see how you say he's better than Wallace as well, that's a player I rated second on the best defenders in the NBA list.

Edited by nbasuperstar40
  • Like 1

• Admin

You seriously do not think Bron isn't the defender that Smith is? Off the ball D, he the best we have in the L. On ball D is elite when he's not trying to conserve energy. He's just like Smoove with blocks except doesn't go for that many attempts and is better open court. Better rebounder. Amazing per on defense as well. I just don't know what your trying to say. Is Smith individually better defensively given the right setup, yes. But with Horford, that will not happen and teams around the league do not see him like other fans and hawksquawkers see him. I don't see how you say he's better than Wallace as well, that's a player I rated second on the best defenders in the NBA list.

Smith is an excellent off the ball defender however he is an average one on one defender, decent post defender and a below average perimeter defender. I am very happy to see him make the second team. It is good to get recognition but a lot of blocks and steals does not mean you are the greatest defender (steals especially because a lot of those are based on gambles).

Lebron is an excellent defender as is Wallace. Sepholasha (sp) is an excellent man on man defender. I think that Josh should study how he and players like Bell and Battier defend a player. They do not get big defensive stats but they know how to shut a player down. If he can improve that I think he could move into being an elite defensive player.

• Like 1

Smith is an excellent off the ball defender however he is an average one on one defender, decent post defender and a below average perimeter defender. I am very happy to see him make the second team. It is good to get recognition but a lot of blocks and steals does not mean you are the greatest defender (steals especially because a lot of those are based on gambles).

Lebron is an excellent defender as is Wallace. Sepholasha (sp) is an excellent man on man defender. I think that Josh should study how he and players like Bell and Battier defend a player. They do not get big defensive stats but they know how to shut a player down. If he can improve that I think he could move into being an elite defensive player.

He is what he is on the perimeter which is not that big of a deal. He could improve as a post defender, I rate him good, better than decent. I am happy he's on the list as well. Very rewarding for Smith and he's officially recognized as one of the best defensive players in the game.

I know stats aren't the end all be all when it comes to NBA "All-Defense" but when is the last time a player has been top 10 and steals and top 5 in blocks? Lebron gets too much credit as a defender. He is a good offball shot blocker and his athleticism allows him to get a lot of chasedown blocks. He does a nice job of playing the passing lanes but what else does he do defensively? Dwyane Wade blocks more shots than Lebron, plays the passing lanes better and is much better as an onball defender. He never gets much credit as a defender though. At least not as much as Lebron.

I know stats aren't the end all be all when it comes to NBA "All-Defense" but when is the last time a player has been top 10 and steals and top 5 in blocks? Lebron gets too much credit as a defender. He is a good offball shot blocker and his athleticism allows him to get a lot of chasedown blocks. He does a nice job of playing the passing lanes but what else does he do defensively? Dwyane Wade blocks more shots than Lebron, plays the passing lanes better and is much better as an onball defender. He never gets much credit as a defender though. At least not as much as Lebron.

Bron defensive IQ crushes Wade's even though they do the same thing on defense. Not to mention, Bron could be elite at PF as well. He can do so much and defend almost anyone who is not a center or a PG.

Is this a LeBrick james fan board now?? to say that he is a better defensive player than Smoove is laughable but it's expected coming from who it came from, and Gerald Wallace sucks ...

I hate Lebron a lot but he's awfully talented. You sound like someone who only watches the Hawks, Gerald Wallace far from sucks.

I hate Lebron a lot but he's awfully talented. You sound like someone who only watches the Hawks, Gerald Wallace far from sucks.

LOL.......try some one who only watches Smoove.

If you write a positive thread on Horford the jealousy is transparent.

• Premium Member

Are you serious, in that Josh Smith thread, it was extremely positive. I have been honest on Smith, just because you disagree doesn't make it wrong. Skip Bayless always talked negatively about T.O. I remember everyone would say, "Skip's a hater, T.O. is great and isn't that bad" and then he goes to Philly and then Dallas and now everyone agree on T.O. Just because you do not agree, doesn't make it true.

Methinks he was referring to jsmoovefan.

Bron defensive IQ crushes Wade's even though they do the same thing on defense. Not to mention, Bron could be elite at PF as well. He can do so much and defend almost anyone who is not a center or a PG.

Lebron's defensive IQ crushes Wade? You are kidding with that one surely. What makes him such a better defender in your eyes? Is it that they make a Top 10 highlight for all of his blocks? He plays NO on ball defense. Due to the ineptitude of his teammate, Wade is often forced to defend the other teams primary perimeter threat. How many times has Lebron done so? Wade is much more likely to give up his body and take a charge. Aside from the offball/chasedown blocks, and the occasional play in the passing lanes, I don't see this great Defensive IQ you speak of. You really think Lebron is a better defender than another small Forward like Shane Battier?

Nope Gerald Wallace is overrated big time,and injury prone so i'll pass. And let's be honest here LeBron only got on the first team because he's LeBron; when have you ever seen him truly shut down a player?? .. and There is no reason to hate Al, because well he's just "AL". . You know you have always typed non-sense on here. I don't know why I expected that to ever change...

Edited by jsmoovefan