• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sund's offseason focus should be adding assets.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

This team has so few long-term assets. Sund must make the most of his short-term assets:

1. JJ in a S&T to net guys some combination of short contracts, trade exceptions, young players, draft picks, or the ability to move Bibby

2. Mo Evans' expiring contract (if he opts in)

3. Bird rights on Josh Childress

4. Draft picks

This team has so few long-term assets. Sund must make the most of his short-term assets:

1. JJ in a S&T to net guys some combination of short contracts, trade exceptions, young players, draft picks, or the ability to move Bibby

4. Draft picks

In my off-season thread I will touch a lot of this. I wrote it before this series since I had a feeling this would be it for us.

1. Not happening

2. +1

3. +1

4. We have to be smart this year. Teague was a good pick. Kudos to Sund for that one.

• Premium Member

4. Draft picks

Why would another team bother with a sign-and-trade of Joe?

• Premium Member

Why would another team bother with a sign-and-trade of Joe?

Because most of the teams who could use Joe as a 2nd option are over the cap and because Joe would be smart to insist upon it (more money).

Because most of the teams who could use Joe as a 2nd option are over the cap and because Joe would be smart to insist upon it (more money).

Most teams over the cap aren't in the JJ market. The Knicks, Bulls, Clippers, Nets, Rockets, and Heat are under the cap.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

Most teams over the cap aren't in the JJ market. The Knicks, Bulls, Clippers, Nets, Rockets, and Heat are under the cap.

Joe isn't gonna sign with those teams. He'll go to a playoff team.

Think Dallas (true 2nd option). Think Boston (to replace Allen). Think Cleveland (if they lose to Orlando). Think Denver (to send JR Smith to Hades).

Edited by mrhonline

Bulls, Clippers and if the Knicks land Lebron, the Knicks too are playoff teams.

• Premium Member

Bulls, Clippers and if the Knicks land Lebron, the Knicks too are playoff teams.

Add him to the teams I listed above (and perhaps you could add the Jazz to that list), and you could have yourself a championship contender, not just a playoff team.

Plus he can make more money in a S&T, so his agent will be looking for that route.

Add him to the teams I listed above (and perhaps you could add the Jazz to that list), and you could have yourself a championship contender, not just a playoff team.

Plus he can make more money in a S&T, so his agent will be looking for that route.

Rose could be a SS, Griffin is coming back and that really helps LAC, Lebron on any team is a contender. All of those teams will be better than us if JJ goes there.

No one will give JJ more money+ years. If so, then I agree with you with the SnT.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

I think all of those except the Heat (and maybe the Knicks?) can only sign one max contract, if someone wants to get two, the second would have to be in a sign and trade.

• Premium Member

The problem is that there's not anything for us.

No Centers readily available except Heywood.

No Pgs that can be sent this way.

We won't get any true value back on a SNT.

We're in a rut.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Think Dallas (true 2nd option). Think Boston (to replace Allen). Think Cleveland (if they lose to Orlando). Think Denver (to send JR Smith to Hades).

I'll bet you $5 (paid to HS, not to you personally - that way everyone wins!) that we don't get back anything more than a 2nd rounder for JJ.

What you say makes some sense, but the reality is that the Hawks have no leverage in these negotiations. You could just as easily say that we are more likely than LAC/NYK/etc to land LeBron or Bosh because we are contenders and could, conceivably, put together an S&T package (some combo of Marvin/Zaza/Smoove/Bibby/Crawford). But you know it's not that simple. If it were, then UFAs would always jump to contenders rather than teams with cap space.

JJ won't want to go to a team that has to give up a lot to land him, because that would mean he's going to a less competitive team. If we could get anything, it'll be contracts, not players of real value. And the Hawks let him walk than take back a bloated contract - I mean, why would they want to agree to an S&T that brings them nothing but an albatross? It's just tough to envision a realistic S&T involving Joe. I can't envision a feasible S&T package involving the teams you mentioned. Who would we get back from those teams that would 1) not just burden the Hawks with salary; 2) the other team would agree to; and 3) that wouldn't so weaken the receiving team that Joe might as well just go to NYK/Chi anyway?

He's walking, and we're getting nothing. Rebuilding, here we come.

Edited by niremetal

I'll bet you $5 (paid to HS, not to you personally - that way everyone wins!) that we don't get back anything more than a 2nd rounder for JJ.

What you say makes some sense, but the reality is that the Hawks have no leverage in these negotiations. You could just as easily say that we are more likely than LAC/NYK/etc to land LeBron or Bosh because we are contenders and could, conceivably, put together an S&T package (some combo of Marvin/Zaza/Smoove/Bibby/Crawford). But you know it's not that simple. If it were, then UFAs would always jump to contenders rather than teams with cap space.

JJ won't want to go to a team that has to give up a lot to land him, because that would mean he's going to a less competitive team. If we could get anything, it'll be contracts, not players of real value. And the Hawks let him walk than take back a bloated contract - I mean, why would they want to agree to an S&T that brings them nothing but an albatross? It's just tough to envision a realistic S&T involving Joe. I can't envision a feasible S&T package involving the teams you mentioned. Who would we get back from those teams that would 1) not just burden the Hawks with salary; 2) the other team would agree to; and 3) that wouldn't so weaken the receiving team that Joe might as well just go to NYK/Chi anyway?

He's walking, and we're getting nothing. Rebuilding, here we come.

The best I see us getting is a maybe Hinrich from the Bulls b/c they would rather move his contract. We can hope they throw in pick #17 or a future 1st rounder but they really would not have to.

Its hard to say we have no leverage in a sign and trade just yet. We have to see where the dust settles first with Bosh, Wade, James, and Stoudemire. Of course we will not get market value but something could be better then nothing

I'm glad Sund has chillz sitting in his back pocket right now.

We cannot forget that Crawford has an expiring contract of around $11 mill next season as will be 31. I love what Crawford has done for us this year but we all know the value and how moveable expiring contracts are.

Edited by coachx

I think Bynum could be available for Marvin and Horford. Sign John Salmons for the left over Joe Money and bring over Chills and Cenk Akyol. Declare Teague a starter and draft Lawal.

Teague/Bibby

Crawford/Cenk

Salmons/ Chills/Mo

Smoove/Lawal

Bynum/Zaza

I don't know if we'd do better in the reg season but we'd do better against our playoff rivals.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't be shocked by that, but you're drawing that from past history of S&T's to teams already under the cap. The difference in this situation is that there will most definitely be teams interested who are OVER the cap. Those teams will have to make good offers to the Hawks/Joe. Otherwise, he'll likely jump to Chicago.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't be shocked by that, but you're drawing that from past history of S&T's to teams already under the cap. The difference in this situation is that there will most definitely be teams interested who are OVER the cap. Those teams will have to make good offers to the Hawks/Joe. Otherwise, he'll likely jump to Chicago.

Why would there be more interested teams over the cap this year than in any other offseason??

I think Bynum could be available for Marvin and Horford. Sign John Salmons for the left over Joe Money and bring over Chills and Cenk Akyol. Declare Teague a starter and draft Lawal.

Teague/Bibby

Crawford/Cenk

Salmons/ Chills/Mo

Smoove/Lawal

Bynum/Zaza

I don't know if we'd do better in the reg season but we'd do better against our playoff rivals.

Bynum no thanks. He's an injury waiting to happen !! Oh wait injuries have been happening. No Thanks!!!!

• Premium Member

Why would there be more interested teams over the cap this year than in any other offseason??

I have no idea. Those kind of trade proposals are rarely discussed in the media.

But there's really no way for us to know who's interested in Joe and how desperately. The Mavs have been open about their intentions to use Dampier in a S&T, though.

• Premium Member

I have no idea. Those kind of trade proposals are rarely discussed in the media.

But there's really no way for us to know who's interested in Joe and how desperately. The Mavs have been open about their intentions to use Dampier in a S&T, though.

Dampier would fall under the heading of "trading for contracts rather than assets." It would give us a nice sized expiring deal, but that's it, because Dampier would basically be battling Zaza for minutes as the backup center. I mean, we'd basically be paying Dampier $14M on the wish-and-a-hope that we can flip him for a semi-star with a longer-term contract before the trade deadline (Kevin Martin, anyone?). I just don't see how Dampier could end up getting us a player who will take us any further than we did this season (I think we all can agree that this season should be discussed in the past tense now).

Frankly, with the looming expiration of the CBA, I'd rather let Joe walk, tear the team down, and wait to see what the new CBA looks like than do something like that.