Hawks fans reacting like Children.

Diesel

• Premium Member

What I have heard on today is more childlike behavior than I have heard at my Local YMCA on youth basketball night. Hawks fans are reacting to our recent loss like Children..

Let me get my litmus paper out.

1. How many of you angry Hawks fans thought that we would win this series vs. the Magic?

2. How many of you angry Hawks fans feel that any player is good enough to get passed a Double team of Barnes/Howard or Pietrus/Howard?

Remember, last year, Pietrus guarded Lebron ALONE... And Orlando won.

3. How many of you thought we had an answer to Howard?

4. How many of you thought that Woody's offense would put Joe in the best position to score?

Why are you so angry?

Are you angry because Joe said something after being booed by his home crowd?

1. What did you expect him to say?

If he would have said nothing, would that have made you happier?

When did Atlanta fans start deserving the right to boo anybody? Most of the crowd was there because the tickets were given to them by the ASG. So don't tell me about how loyal the fans have been. The fans have not supported one of the best Home teams in the NBA and in playoff time, with free tickets in hand.. what do they do? They boo the team's only star... Yeah... That's very good.

Now.. here's the thing....

1. What do you expect to get once Joe is gone? John Salmons? Have you who cry out John Salmons ever notice that he doesn't make his teams good enough that he warrants being kept??

Both SacTown and Chicago traded Salmons for cap space. Salmons looks good in situations where he's the only available offensive player.

I hear all these far fetched sign and trades.. I got some news. If NY doesn't get Lebron, they will sign Joe outright. We will get nothing.

So what's next for this franchise and it's reactive fanbase?

I suggest you get ready for more bickering. The hit parade will keep on going. Tell Smoove that he's next.

I guess we will build around Al. Who doesn't have a goto move and has shown some difficulty guarding the PF position but is too small to stop the best centers... Yeah.. Good move Hawks.

• Like 4

• Moderators

(1) I think Hawks fans are not so much angry about losing the series to Orlando as doing it in record setting fashion. The worst sweep in NBA history. Pile on the fact that some Hawks players were visibly not motivated at times and it is just an ugly, ugly loss. That stings some.

(2) With Joe, I think people would be much happier with him had he said nothing rather than said he "could care less" about the fans. That is a really bad quote - especially in the midst of terrible play by both the team and the guy who said it.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

(1) I think Hawks fans are not so much angry about losing the series to Orlando as doing it in record setting fashion. The worst sweep in NBA history. Pile on the fact that some Hawks players were visibly not motivated at times and it is just an ugly, ugly loss. That stings some.

(2) With Joe, I think people would be much happier with him had he said nothing rather than said he "could care less" about the fans. That is a really bad quote - especially in the midst of terrible play by both the team and the guy who said it.

But a loss is a loss. Had we lost each game by 2 points, it would still be a sweep. I understand that we want more effort.. but a large part of that is coaching and preparedness. We were not prepared.

• Like 1

I would counter that Josh Smith and Joe Johnson acted like children through most of this series and that Coach Woodson coaches offense like a child.

Do you know what the headline was in Salt Lake City yesterday BEFORE Game 4 vs. the Lakers. It read in all caps:

ALL HOPE IS LOST

This Hawks team's players and coach are / act much more childish then do the Jerry Sloan and his players but even they got the same treatment. Their arena had more empty seats then Phillips had.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

But a loss is a loss. Had we lost each game by 2 points, it would still be a sweep. I understand that we want more effort.. but a large part of that is coaching and preparedness. We were not prepared.

We would have lost 4-0 had each game gone into quadruple overtime and been won on historically lucky plays by the Magic but that 4-0 sweep would not have generated anywhere near the same anger that this historically bad sweep did because fans feel cheated and disrespected when the team looks like it is going through the motions and is getting absolutely destroyed on the floor. That is why you don't see the same animosity towards the Jazz among their fans and the national media even though I am sure there are a lot of disappointed Jazz fans. No one doubts that they tried.

I agree with you 100% that we weren't prepared or well coached.

• Premium Member

I would counter that Josh Smith and Joe Johnson acted like children through most of this series and that Coach Woodson coaches offense like a child.

I don't disagree. Josh Smith definitely. Joe Johnson through his words.

However, that's not a reaction. Our fans reacted like we have never been here before.

cstrh23e8ggb.jpg

• Premium Member

We would have lost 4-0 had each game gone into quadruple overtime and been won on historically lucky plays by the Magic but that 4-0 sweep would not have generated anywhere near the same anger that this historically bad sweep did because fans feel cheated and disrespected when the team looks like it is going through the motions and is getting absolutely destroyed on the floor. That is why you don't see the same animosity towards the Jazz among their fans and the national media even though I am sure there are a lot of disappointed Jazz fans. No one doubts that they tried.

Just like you've concluded, if You give us Jerry Sloan, we would have been a totally different situation.

cstrh23e8ggb.jpg

However, that's not a reaction. Our fans reacted like we have never been here before.

cstrh23e8ggb.jpg

Our players were the ones that acted like they had never seen the 2nd round of the playoffs.

The fans had just wittnessed an uncompetitive 4 game sweep full of blow-outs vs. the Cavs last year. Now its De-Ja-Vu all over again, except with more lopsided blow-outs one year later vs. the Magic.

Just the same old sheet.

Exactly. All losses are NOT created equal.

• Premium Member

Our players were the ones that acted like they had never seen the 2nd round of the playoffs.

The fans had just wittnessed an uncompetitive 4 game sweep full of blow-outs vs. the Cavs last year. Now its De-Ja-Vu all over again, except with more lopsided blow-outs one year later vs. the Magic.

Just the same old sheet.

When you're overmatched and you know that there's nothing you can do that works.. sometimes that's what happens.

Let's frame it for you.

Our best game was game 2. We played as hard as we play. We knocked down a playoff record (just about) of consecutive free throws. We hold the beast for three quarters and we have a shot to win. Then all the sudden like it was scripted for Magic fans, the Magic wake up in the fourth quarter and outscores us by 13 while stopping everything we can do offensively. The Magic made it look easy because it was easy. It was easy because it was very predictable. Stan Van Gundy coached them on how to beat us and they did.

As a player, how are you supposed to get up for a game when the other team knows exactly what you're going to do? Do you think Anthony Johnson went to Orlando and held our offensive and defensive tendencies like they were trade secrets?? Do you think Stan Van Gundy didn't use adjustments and predicted what Woody would do? What Atlanta fans saw was a team that was beat before the ball was thrown in the air... not because of their effort but because of their coaching. THIS IS WHAT A COACHING LOSS LOOKS LIKE.

• Premium Member

The final score of the games weren't even what pisses everyone off. It looked like we didn't even want to be out there half the time. In the Milwaukee series we flat out decided to stop playing basketball for three straight games. Against Orlando we GAVE UP at home by the second quarter. That's NEVER supposed to happen with a professional team, not in the playoffs. The news media looks at us and laughs... and how can you blame them??? It is TRULY laughable how we have played in the playoffs.

THIS IS WHAT A COACHING LOSS LOOKS LIKE.

We were over matched............in both personell & coaching but more so in coaching. I should have said our COACH and players acted like they had never seen the 2nd round of the playoffs.

No debate there. That is just plain obvious.

I guarantee you those boos were directed at 3 guys more then any of the other Hawks. (Woody, Smoove, and JJ for obvious reasons that we have already covered in this thread and in many others.)

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I say again. The real problem here is that Atlanta fans haven't seen what a coaching loss looks like since Bob Weiss was here.

However, it was Woody's own stubbornness and failure to change that brought us to this.

Yes, we have to question our players character because we believe that character is shown in times of adversity. And we believe while watching that Al Horford has some fight in him and Crawford has some fight in him and we should rid ourselves of Joe and Smoove and build around those two.

However, I say.. that would be a mistake.

Craw was in his first playoffs and I love his attitude, but you don't build around attitudes. You build around ability.

How many times have Kobe's attitude been questioned in the past?

He's still collecting rings people.

The reason being is because somebody recognized that Kobe has the ability to win dispite his attitude. Kobe and Wade have straight up quit being team players in times of adversity.. but those guys are still guys that you would be a fool if you didn't want to build around them.

I say again. The real problem here is that Atlanta fans haven't seen what a coaching loss looks like since Bob Weiss was here.

Thats a good one. Funny stuff !

As if this is the first time Woody's coaching / lack of an offense has cost us a game..........all of those 4th quarter collapses were just ignored all year....LOL

Did you miss all the threads flaming Woody over the years for his lack of making adjustments and his iso offense ?

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

What I have heard on today is more childlike behavior than I have heard at my Local YMCA on youth basketball night. Hawks fans are reacting to our recent loss like Children..

1. How many of you angry Hawks fans thought that we would win this series vs. the Magic?

I'll address these parts

- seems child-like to start a post titled 'It's Marvin's fault'. Who did that?

- I saw several posts from someone this post season predicting Hawks in the Finals so whoever that poster was I guess thought we would win the series against the Magic. I think his name Darrell or something.

-Here is what I would expect Joe to say:

"They (fans) deserve to be pissed off. The way we played, the fans deserve to be upset, If your team lost by 30 in the playoffs, wouldn't you be upset? If you get blown out like that, effort is always a factor.''

- yes i'd be happier if Joe hadn't said anything

• Like 1

For anyone to even attempt to blame the fans needs to get their heads out their butts . It always starts with the coach , and rolls down to the players. The fans have supported this team , are passionate about this team , and without a doubt in my mind would support this team however they did ,sweep or not if the gameplan was sound and the effort was there.

2. How many of you angry Hawks fans feel that any player is good enough to get passed a Double team of Barnes/Howard or Pietrus/Howard?

Remember, last year, Pietrus guarded Lebron ALONE... And Orlando won.

3. How many of you thought we had an answer to Howard?

4. How many of you thought that Woody's offense would put Joe in the best position to score?

Why are you so angry?

When did Atlanta fans start deserving the right to boo anybody? Most of the crowd was there because the tickets were given to them by the ASG. So don't tell me about how loyal the fans have been. The fans have not supported one of the best Home teams in the NBA and in playoff time, with free tickets in hand.. what do they do? They boo the team's only star... Yeah... That's very good.

Now.. here's the thing....

1. What do you expect to get once Joe is gone? John Salmons? Have you who cry out John Salmons ever notice that he doesn't make his teams good enough that he warrants being kept??

Both SacTown and Chicago traded Salmons for cap space. Salmons looks good in situations where he's the only available offensive player.

I hear all these far fetched sign and trades.. I got some news. If NY doesn't get Lebron, they will sign Joe outright. We will get nothing.

So what's next for this franchise and it's reactive fanbase?

I suggest you get ready for more bickering. The hit parade will keep on going. Tell Smoove that he's next.

I guess we will build around Al. Who doesn't have a goto move and has shown some difficulty guarding the PF position but is too small to stop the best centers... Yeah.. Good move Hawks.

I applaud this brave sir. :worshippy:

A lot of sensitivity these past couple days. A lot of people taking things personal... The crazy thing is.... They do not even play on the team. :blink:

JJ makes one mistake on a comment his whole tenure here and we run him off by booing and not being understanding that he is human. He was the reason why I started really watching the Hawks again. The guy did bad because Orlando had a great defense! Who is going to replace him? Nobody, because we do not have the money for anybody else.

I would not call people childish per say, more like... a breakdown of understanding the big picture. Only person who was childish was Josh Smith. Even Hubie Brown called him out on his lack of effort at times.

I applaud this brave sir. :worshippy:

A lot of sensitivity these past couple days. A lot of people taking things personal... The crazy thing is.... They do not even play on the team. :blink:

JJ makes one mistake on a comment his whole tenure here and we run him off by booing and not being understanding that he is human. He was the reason why I started really watching the Hawks again. The guy did bad because Orlando had a great defense! Who is going to replace him? Nobody, because we do not have the money for anybody else.

I would not call people childish per say, more like... a breakdown of understanding the big picture. Only person who was childish was Josh Smith. Even Hubie Brown called him out on his lack of effort at times.

if you know you're locked down offensively , do you continue to take off balanced shots , or do you try to get your teammates involved by drawing the defense and moving the ball ? It has been apparent as early as the Buck series that Joe wasn't able to overcome his shooting woes . Whatever the reason , a real pro doesn't blame the fans for booing , especially if your play deserves it.

We aren't talking about a lack of talent from the Hawks , were talking about quit - thats what the Hawks fans were booing . Joe brought the rest on himself for taking his foot and inserting it in his mouth.

That is sooooo untrue! If you knew your son studied and studied for a test but still didn't pass you would be still proud of him. If you knew your son didn't try to study at all you would be pissed if he didn't pass.

The same goes for the Hawks. We saw and have heard many HOF guys say it is very hard to lose like we have been losing. It shows that we didn't word hard or even try on some many plays.

This is why Hawks fans are so pissed. They thou they could just go into these playoffs and win on their skills alone. There is talk of when the Hawks went to Mil-Buck they had a limo waiting their to take them to Chicago to get some clubin on.

This is not a team trying very hard to win a game.

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite