• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Childress' Big Fat Greek Riots

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

My comment off another post...

With Greece in particular, I had asked recently whether social unrest over austerity measures (pay cuts, tax hikes, etc.), on top of the fan rioting that is more pervasive in Greek sports (like the May 2009 riot Childress was caught up in, or last week with the handball riot), creates a security "push-factor" for these athletes to consider options in other countries. For symbolic American millionaires not burdened with paying taxes on their salaries (Childress) that may be the case, although I've seen no statements indicating so. Not so much for Greek-born and less recognizable Euro players.

~lw3

Oh, wait, did I say something about fan violence?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5258248

Fans throw flare at team, chairs on court

Updated: June 6, 2010, 7:45 PM ET

ATHENS, Greece -- Panathinaikos was named Greek basketball champion after referees called off the fourth game of the league finals against Olympiakos with just more than 1 minute left when it was interrupted by fans for a second time at Olympiakos' home arena Sunday.

Panathinaikos won its eighth consecutive Greek title and 12th in the last 13 seasons.

Panathinaikos, already ahead 2-1 in the best-of-five finals series, was leading 76-69 and about to shoot two free throws when Olympiakos fans seated behind the two baskets threw a barrage of plastic bottles and arena seats, which they had ripped off.

A flare was thrown at Panathinaikos players and coaching staff as they were leaving the arena, narrowly missing them.

The Hawks' push to Chillz should be something like: "The NBA. Where $#!T like this DOESN'T HAPPEN." Any chance Chillz wants another tax-free year of this?

I'm guessing he'd rather be in a place where "rockets' red glare" and "bombs bursting in air" were mere historical allusions, and not the highlights of the second half.

~lw3

I'm guessing he'd rather be in a place where "rockets' red glare" and "bombs bursting in air" were mere historical allusions, and not the highlights of the second half.

*applause* :)

• Moderators

Vid of one of the flares kicks in at about 4:10 (CORRECTION: the first flare-up was at 3:00, causing a one-hour delay midway through the 3rd quarter)

Same flare at the end of the game, just with better coverage.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

As a sidebar, when he does come back, no way is that hair getting past TSA security. Chillz is getting dangerously close to Sugarfoot-from-Ohio-Players territory with that thing.

~lw3

Clearly the Fro is his advantage on defense. The player he's defending can't even see half the court let alone the basket.

Shame about the rioters... People who get this worked up over sports, like soccer hooligans, are one of the lowest sub-cultures on this planet.

• Like 1

• Moderators

^ Poor dude was like, "MacGruber!"

More piling on...

The game opening had initially been pushed back 40 minutes due to fan violence outside the stadium while Olympiacos fans without tickets stormed the court and attempted to attack journalists. They were repelled by riot police using teargas.

Midway through the game, fans throwing projectiles, firecrackers and even flares caused Panathinaikos' players and coaching staff to retreat to the locker rooms and the referees asked for the evacuation of the stadium. Police, aided by riot control units, evacuated most fans from the venue although a few hundred remained and the game resumed an hour later, with a warning that if more projectiles were thrown, the game would be terminated.

This is what's messed up right here:

No Panathinaikos fans had been given tickets, as per the decision to not allow opposing teams' fans at away games.

How do you even DO that? Do you have to get a fan license or something? An opposing team's fan can't just show up in neutral clothes and watch the game?

Quiz: can anybody cite the name of the arena this game was played in?? :-)

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Nobody bit at my arena-name quiz question so I'll give it away. The site of the fan rioting was at Peace and Friendship Stadium.

"Yo, dawg, I'll meet up with y'all at the tailgate outside Peace and Friendship Stadium. I'll bring the sledgehammers. You bringin' the flares?"

In other news, the next UN Peace Summit will be held in Geneva, at the War and Bitter Hatred Convention Center...

More vids. Peep the banner at 0:02. OMG! This is NOT a game over there!

"Let the baklava hit the flo'..."

Also Uncle Gus' barbecue in the food court at 0:13, "Now THAT's a fire!"

These guys put "Y-M-C-A" to shame...

~lw3