• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

World Cup 2010

• Moderators

Not a proud day for the Dutch. I couldn't believe that they didn't draw a red during regulation with the deliberate fouls they were giving out, especially that cleat to the chest. If that game wasn't the finale, the Netherlands might have only finished with 8 players.

Not a proud day for the Dutch. I couldn't believe that they didn't draw a red during regulation with the deliberate fouls they were giving out, especially that cleat to the chest. If that game wasn't the finale, the Netherlands might have only finished with 8 players.

The kick to the chest was when the ball was in the air between both players. I dont know for sure but it didnt look deliberate. Spain got away with they're share including Pau ( I think) bear hug on Robben when he had a break away clear path to the goal which should have been a penalty kick and a 2nd yellow. Iniesta got away with a kick as well after the whistle. Im fine with the no calls or no ejections as long as you keep it fair for both teams. Why you give a second yellow card for a tug on the shoulder that resulted in a clear dive is beyond me, not at 112 minutes in a tie game. That would be like giving a team a 10 minute power play in overtime of game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.

One thing the announcers made clear was that if Robben had dove he would have got a penalty kick ( and Pujo ejection for second yellow) and Iniesta got the 2nd yellow card on the Dutch player in extra time because he dove. In a sport that supposedly prides itself on sportmansship ( as opposed to popular usa sports) I just dont get that. What kind of message does that send, you must fake to win. I know Robben did plenty of it along the way and Inesta did a great job of it all day yesterday. Is it the oscars or the world cup? I also have disagreement with the perception that Spain was the wonderful artist like team and the Dutch were that T word that nobody likes to use. How can they be percieved as this free flowing beautiful team when they won all they're games 1-0? Im not being critical of how they played, just how they were percieved by the soccer folks on abc and espn. I dont mind a little defense and rough housing. Why is that frowned upon in Europe? Why should teams have to play soft? It is men playing not women.

• Moderators

One thing the announcers made clear was that if Robben had dove he would have got a penalty kick ( and Pujo ejection for second yellow) and Iniesta got the 2nd yellow card on the Dutch player in extra time because he dove. In a sport that supposedly prides itself on sportmansship ( as opposed to popular usa sports) I just dont get that. What kind of message does that send, you must fake to win. I know Robben did plenty of it along the way and Inesta did a great job of it all day yesterday. Is it the oscars or the world cup? I also have disagreement with the perception that Spain was the wonderful artist like team and the Dutch were that T word that nobody likes to use. How can they be percieved as this free flowing beautiful team when they won all they're games 1-0? Im not being critical of how they played, just how they were percieved by the soccer folks on abc and espn. I dont mind a little defense and rough housing. Why is that frowned upon in Europe? Why should teams have to play soft? It is men playing not women.

It is similar to basketball as far as the Paul Pierce flopping antics. There is too much for the refs to catch without assistance from technology. When a Duke player flops or a Spaniard roles around on the ground, there should be a mechanism in the sport for punishing them - whether it is video review or some other way to ensure the integrity of the game.

Robben was absolutely fouled and should have gotten the call. It was outside the box at the point the foul was committed and therefore would not have led to a penalty kick but it should have led to a second yellow and an ejection.

On the cleat into the chest, yellow cards are given for tackles where a player recklessly comes in with their spikes in the air. Going cleat first into another player that high - even if challenging for the ball - is worthy of a red, IMO. If it isn't, teams should do that all the time because someone will be seriously injured very quickly if that is permitted.

My dissappointment with the Netherlands goes more to the number of intentional fouls they handed out as well as the admission after the game that they were trying for this. It was ugly soccer.

It is similar to basketball as far as the Paul Pierce flopping antics. There is too much for the refs to catch without assistance from technology. When a Duke player flops or a Spaniard roles around on the ground, there should be a mechanism in the sport for punishing them - whether it is video review or some other way to ensure the integrity of the game.

Robben was absolutely fouled and should have gotten the call. It was outside the box at the point the foul was committed and therefore would not have led to a penalty kick but it should have led to a second yellow and an ejection.

On the cleat into the chest, yellow cards are given for tackles where a player recklessly comes in with their spikes in the air. Going cleat first into another player that high - even if challenging for the ball - is worthy of a red, IMO. If it isn't, teams should do that all the time because someone will be seriously injured very quickly if that is permitted.

My dissappointment with the Netherlands goes more to the number of intentional fouls they handed out as well as the admission after the game that they were trying for this. It was ugly soccer.

After painfully watching the replay of the game its clear Spain got away with quite a few yellows especially Pujol and Iniesta ( at least 2 and thats not counting the one he got for taking off his jersey or the ones he could have got for countless dives). Also not only was Heitingas 2nd yellow a clear dive on Iniesta his 1st yellow on Villa you could plainly see the ref wasnt even looking at the play and didnt stop play till he saw Villa down and gave Heitinga yellow just because of Villa staying down and rolling on the ground after Heitingas shoe grazed him and he fell like he got hit by Lawernce Taylor.

Edited by NJHAWK

So thats the rule, ok I wasnt sure? I asked a few soccer buffs at work because I wasnt sure if you had to be in the box for a penalty kick to be given. A couple guys said as long as you were past the half field mark and had a clear path breakaway to the goalie it was the ref could award a penalty kick. The announcer said if Robben fell it would have prolly won the game and I assumed he meant because a P.K. would have been awarded. Maybe Fifa rules are different than the leagues these guys watch.

• Moderators

So thats the rule, ok I wasnt sure? I asked a few soccer buffs at work because I wasnt sure if you had to be in the box for a penalty kick to be given. A couple guys said as long as you were past the half field mark and had a clear path breakaway to the goalie it was the ref could award a penalty kick. The announcer said if Robben fell it would have prolly won the game and I assumed he meant because a P.K. would have been awarded. Maybe Fifa rules are different than the leagues these guys watch.

According to the FIFA rules, fouling a player to deny that player an "obvious goalscoring opportunity" is one of the red card offenses where a player can be sent off directly without a yellow card. To award a penalty kick, however, the foul must have been committed within the box.

Direct Free Kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits

any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the

referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

• trips or attempts to trip an opponent

• jumps at an opponent

• charges an opponent

• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

• pushes an opponent

• tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player

commits any of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent

• spits at an opponent

• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his

own penalty area)

A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred

(see Law 13 – Position of Free Kick).

Penalty Kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed

by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of

the ball, provided it is in play.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lotg_en_55753.pdf (Page 33)