• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's Drew! (Woo-hoo?)

ATL_BALLER

Not surprised. Would have much rather had a proven coach here to take over the 53 win team, but meh. We honestly don't know what Drew can do as a HC, so I am willing to take a wait-and-see approach. However, if he comes back with the ISO's, fails to develop Teague, and focuses just on defense, well...

I wanted to new blood in here...blood WITHOUT ties to Woodson's tenure here.

My concern is that hiring from within doesn't give this team the jolt it needs to break old habits. Jeff Schultz says Drew's familiarity could be an asset - I see it as a potentially huge liability. We needed to instill a little fear and uncertainty into these players, not a feeling of comfort.

But what do I know - maybe Drew will be fantastic.

I thought he was the best choice of the available candidates. There just wasn't a strong pool of candidates available this year. And I'd rather have Drew than AJ or most definitely untried Mark Jackson. Mo Evans must think he'll get more playing time under him.

"A 6'1" point guard from the University of Missouri, Drew played in 10 NBA seasons. He played for the Pistons, Kansas City/Sacramento Kings, Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers. In 1988-89, Drew played in the Italian League with Scavolini."

This is key, he better have a greater offensive philosophy than woodson. Also didn't know this guy was this short. Again him being a point guard is key with long NBA experience to boot.

My concern is that hiring from within doesn't give this team the jolt it needs to break old habits. Jeff Schultz says Drew's familiarity could be an asset - I see it as a potentially huge liability. We needed to instill a little fear and uncertainty into these players, not a feeling of comfort.

But what do I know - maybe Drew will be fantastic.

Totally agree here. That familiarity can be a good thing...especially if they already respect Drew, and if Drew has pinpointed what works and what doesn't. But it can also be bad, since he may not have as fresh a perspective as someone from outside the organization.

Either way, he is inheriting a 53 win team that is not trying to rebuild if Joe comes back. He better push the right button. I don't wanna see Woody-like coaching out of him.

• Premium Member

What was the point of interviewing everyone else, when the plan was to hire Drew all along.

Yeah, this was all a big ruse. A big diabolical plan.

THAT makes sense.

:brick wall:

• Moderators

chicks-big.jpg

*cheep*cheep*cheep*cheep*cheep*cheep*cheep*cheep*

A$G wins! Ah well... does anyone know how much season ticket prices went up/down this year compared to last? They sure don't appear to be spending any additional revenue on coaching.

Good news is we won't have to hear "HANDS DOWN, MAN DOWN" all year long, and we won't have to read through 879 possible permutations of the name "Dwane".

Until Woody gets his next gig I'm still going on the assumption he'll be eventually asked to trade places with Larry. Please, Larry, hire some new assistants. Don't bring that dead-weight back!

My desired list of candidates for Drew's assistant jobs:

Nolan Richardson (currently employed) or Del Harris

Rick Mahorn or Grant Long

Robert Pack (currently employed still?)

Sidney Moncrief

~lw3

The Hawks also want to move away from an isolation-heavy offensive approach that was influenced by guard Joe Johnson’s playing style. Johnson is eligible to become a free agent next month, and the Hawks still want to re-sign him.

I hope that is true :cant believe:

That's why I LIKE the move. The fact that he was so close to the situation he knows first hand what got Woody fired and what lost this team games. Being a new head coach he will want to put his OWN imprint on the team and what better way than a change in offensive philosophy.

Something that we almost were certain NOT to get under Avery Johnson

This is a great move. Now all we need to do is somehow keep JJ

• Like 1

Crawford said it best:

“He knows the faults of our teams,” Crawford said. “It’s not like we are a bad team. Now we can continue to build; we don’t have to start over.”

“Everything is going to be a first for him,” Crawford said. “But I think it will be a little bit easier transition because he knows our team. He doesn’t have to come in and learn the different personalities, what makes people tick and how to motivate them.”

So we're going with Woodson 2.0? This is a TERRIBLE decision by the Atlanta Spirit!

This is the initial reaction but think further. It's more than likely to NOT be Mike Woodson 2.0 than any other big name coach especially Avery Johnson.

Drew saw FIRST HAND what got Woodson fired. Why would he do the same thing? He's far less likely to have the same ridiculous isolation philosophy as Woodson.

You guys are overreacting.

Number one I think Larry Drew will be a better coach than Mike Woodson. He always seemed like the intelligent one. I pick him over Casey or Mark Jackson anyday.

Good luck to Larry Drew.