• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chillz rumor is FALSE, according to AJC ... plus draft talk

Admin

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/06/25/atlanta-hawks-crawford-cash-and-a-mysterious-frenchman/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

– Couple Chills notes: The reports about Washington negotiating with him are false because, as I said, he can’t talk to another team without permission from the Hawks. Also, the Hawks officially extended the qualifying offer of $4.8 million to retain Josh’s rights and the ability to match any offers he receives as a restricted free agent.

When the night was over the Hawks had made a trade, saved some cash, earned some additional cash and drafted Xavier guard Jordan Crawford and Pape Sy, a mysterious prospect from France.

First, the deal on Crawford and the cash. He was one of a handful of players the Hawks liked who were still on the board. They weren’t sure he would be there if they traded down but had three other players in mind if he wasn’t (one of them was Dominique Jones, who was picked at No. 25).

Rick Sund said Atlanta had the “luxury” of deciding on a shooter, wing, guard or a big project center.

“We decided to go with the best available player,” he said.

Moving down three spots in the first round saves the Hawks about $190,000 for the two guaranteed years of Crawford’s contract. They also sold the rights to German center Tibor Pleiss to Oklahoma City for close to $3 million, the maximum amount allowable under salary-cap rules.

While the Hawks could have selected a project center or wing with that pick, Sund suggested the money earned from selling the it would be used to add proven players to the roster.

“I think we need more veterans,” he said. “We are one of the youngest teams in the league still. I think we need to fill out the rest of the roster with veterans.”

Atlanta selected Texas forward Damion James with the No. 24 pick and traded him to the Nets for the second of their first-round picks (No. 27 overall) and their second-round pick (No. 31). The Nets selected Crawford for the Hawks at No. 27 and Pleiss at No. 31.

Sund said Crawford is a shooter and scorer. He said the Hawks didn’t make the pick with the thought of losing J.J. but acknowledged he could provide a bit of insurance

“The [27th pick] is not going to replace Joe,” Sund said. “[Crawford] does give us some options. But that didn’t enter into our analysis at all.”

Crawford led the Atlantic 10 in scoring but might have gained his most fame for

“People always bring it up, but I don’t really like talking about it because I don’t like living in the past,” Crawford said by phone.

And now about this Pape Sy dude. When he came in for a Hawks workout, so little info was available about him that no one could come up with a bio or detailed statistics. Not only was he not included in any of the mock drafts, there didn’t seem to be any evaluations of the guy out there. I saw him listed as 6-7 in one place, 6-10 in another.

But Atlanta’s European scouts saw Sy playing for Le Havre in France’s Pro A League. So Sy came in for a workout–paying his own way, according to L.D.

“I’d never heard of him,” Drew said.

Sy was in a workout session with Darington Hobson and Stanley Robinson.

“I thought those guys would eat him up,” Drew said. “But this guy challenged those guys. He didn’t back down.”

Drew liked Sy so much that he was nervous other teams would figure out his potential. The Hawks weren’t sure if Sy had worked out for any other teams.

“I was very impressed with him,” L.D. said.

Drew said he thinks Sy is long enough to play center as well as power forward.

• Moderators

When the Hawks use that veteran free agent money to stop paying guys like Collins and Smith and start paying guys like Mike Miller wake me up. Until then, the sale of the pick was a disaster in my mind.

• Like 1

When the Hawks use that veteran free agent money to stop paying guys like Collins and Smith and start paying guys like Mike Miller wake me up. Until then, the sale of the pick was a disaster in my mind.

Yeah noticed he said that money could be used for veteran players not a veteran player. Heck they will use that 3 million to get 3 cheap veterans instead of using that 3 million to get a decent vet big like a Drew Gooden or Chris Wilcox.

• Moderators
The reports about Washington negotiating with him are false because, as I said, he can’t talk to another team without permission from the Hawks.

Why would we assume he doesn't have permission from the Hawks to go shop himself for a S&T?

• Premium Member

Why would we assume he doesn't have permission from the Hawks to go shop himself for a S&T?

Exactly.

Notice I posted that very question to MC... I guess he doesn't follow-up on these things, or alternatively, it was a late night and he's not up yet.

I would assume that he does........especially since he had that same freedom before. Its just not legal to do until July 1. Right ? Was there a loophole in when we offered him the $4.8 mill qualifying offer ?

Now Lebron's possey has been accused of tampering all month but nothing happens to them. So Chillz may think he can can get away with it............but who else could be calling NBA GMs from disposable, pre-paid Greek cell phones ? :idea:

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

There may be something to it. I mean I doubt that foreign paper would even know who the Wizards are.

I can tell you this. My brother-in-law is Filipino. To say he knows the NBA like you or I do would be an overstatement. But his favorite team is San Antonio, and he does know enough to know who the Wizards are and who plays for them.... fwiw.

I can tell you this. My brother-in-law is Filipino. To say he knows the NBA like you or I do would be an overstatement. But his favorite team is San Antonio, and he does know enough to know who the Wizards are and who plays for them.... fwiw.

what?? You are basing your opinion of the NBA's exposure and market in Greece from the NBA knowledge of your Filipino brother-in-law? Did someone hack your account? (Doesn't sound like a Sturt post.)

Greece is a basketball country and there are plenty of Greeks who follow the NBA. Why do you think Olympiakos was willing to overspend to get (relatively) little-known Josh Childress?

• Moderators

what?? You are basing your opinion of the NBA's exposure and market in Greece from the NBA knowledge of your Filipino brother-in-law? Did someone hack your account? (Doesn't sound like a Sturt post.)

Greece is a basketball country and there are plenty of Greeks who follow the NBA. Why do you think Olympiakos was willing to overspend to get (relatively) little-known Josh Childress?

I can understand his point if he is saying that Greece is more of a basketball country than the Phillipines and his brother-in-law is well aware of the Wizards so a professional sports writer in Greece is also likely aware of the Wizards. It's not perfect, but I get where he was coming from.