• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I truely believe if Joe stays, it will be because a major trade is coming through.

Joker

2 words

Chris Paul

That is what makes it all worth it.

Chris Paul would make Larry Drew look like a genius. Just as Kidd and Paul did for Byron Scott. Our offensive problems would be solved.

Plus Okafor would playing next to Horford on defense, not West. I'm not worried about his points per game at all.

I am not saying I would not do it. I am saying our budget minded owners will not do it. Big difference between what a fan would spend and risk vs what the guys who actually have to pay the bills will risk.

It goes against everything they have done or said since owning this franchise to do this. Its a great dream though.

• Premium Member

Season splits last season against:

Boston : 4ppg 9.5 rpg 2.5 bpg

Cleveland : 5ppg 9rpg 0 bpg

Orlando : 4.5 ppg 4.5 rpg .5 bpg

He does not appear to be the answer down low against the teams we have to catch; and again, 11+ million is not something our owners are willing to commit to for this type of production. Seriously, is it any wonder New Orleans wants to dump this guy?

Not trending good, but that's what, 6 games? Small sample size... I'd have to see what he did against some of the other teams in the West with dominant post players... and moreover, I'd have to see what the dominant post players did against him... it's all about match-ups, and I don't mind smallish numbers for my player as long as the guy he's guarding also suffers a decrease in production. Probably would be good to look at his numbers from the previous season as well... I see that his overall numbers were down across the board in New Orleans, including minutes played, compared to what he had in Charlotte.

Not trending good, but that's what, 6 games? Small sample size... I'd have to see what he did against some of the other teams in the West with dominant post players... and moreover, I'd have to see what the dominant post players did against him... it's all about match-ups, and I don't mind smallish numbers for my player as long as the guy he's guarding also suffers a decrease in production. Probably would be good to look at his numbers from the previous season as well... I see that his overall numbers were down across the board in New Orleans, including minutes played, compared to what he had in Charlotte.

I looked at the numbers against San Antonio, LA, and Utah. They are close to his average when combined. But when you add all six teams into the mix his numbers are down against teams with adequate bigs.

I am not saying I would not do it. I am saying our budget minded owners will not do it. Big difference between what a fan would spend and risk vs what the guys who actually have to pay the bills will risk.

It goes against everything they have done or said since owning this franchise to do this. Its a great dream though.

Gearon has said he would pay luxury tax for an elite star like Lebron James.

Crawford + Smoove make almost the same thing as Okafor + Paul

One last point on this trade then I am at the end of what I can say concerning its likelyhood. Our owners are reportedly having a hard time dealing with a long term contract for a four time all-star in JJ at 16+ million a year. I cannot see then swallowing 26.5 to start to get another all-star. Okafor will be virtually untradeable until his last season unless coupled with a lottery pick or all-star.

You cannot say that about any of the guys you are wanting to send in this deal. That is really what will stop this deal, no bad untradeable contracts will be accepted by the ASG IMO. It would be easier for me to see them trying a SNT for Bosh and picking up one longterm contract at 16 to 18, then trading for two big contracts to get one all-star. That is how I see their thinking on long term deals. If Okafor had some value, they would do it. But then again NO would probably keep him and CP3 if that was the case.

One last point on this trade then I am at the end of what I can say concerning its likelyhood. Our owners are reportedly having a hard time dealing with a long term contract for a four time all-star in JJ at 16+ million a year. I cannot see then swallowing 26.5 to start to get another all-star.

Paul is not just an allstar.

JJ is just an allstar. Horford is just an allstar. Paul is an elite superstar in his prime.

That is my last point as well.

Paul is not just an allstar.

JJ is just an allstar. Horford is just an allstar. Paul is an elite superstar in his prime.

That is my last point as well.

The Gist of my last point was:

That is really what will stop this deal, no bad untradeable contracts will be accepted by the ASG IMO.

The Gist of my last point was:

That is really what will stop this deal, no bad untradeable contracts will be accepted by the ASG IMO.

Why would we trade Okafor if he fits next to Horford. The point of making a trade is to either get better, balance out your roster, and save money. We are getting better (CP3) and balancing out the roster (Okafor/Horford) in the post. I don't see the bad side of this deal if Paul is the centerpiece.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Why would we trade Okafor if he fit next to Horford. The point of making a trade is to either get better, balance out your roster, and save money. We are getting better (CP3) and balancing out the roster (Okafor/Horford) in the post. I don't see the bad side of this deal if Paul is the centerpiece.

Buzz does have a point though. Okafor hasn't been "garbage" . . but he's really the Marvin Williams of centers. So to pay him that much wouldn't be cost effective at all, something that the ASG seems to covet. I personally don't think acquiring Okafor does anything to help our big man issue or our defense.

In reality, I wish Smoove was a lot tougher, so we could stick HIM at center, and play him like Ben Wallace. The deal would be all about acquiring Chris Paul though. But we'd STILL have to go out and get a defensive center.

In the end, we'd have to hope that Paul is good enough to really spark interest in Atlanta for the Hawks.

Here's a question . . . who gets introduced last at games, if Paul comes to ATL, but JJ has the Max contract?

Buzz does have a point though. Okafor hasn't been "garbage" . . but he's really the Marvin Williams of centers. So to pay him that much wouldn't be cost effective at all, something that the ASG seems to covet. I personally don't think acquiring Okafor does anything to help our big man issue or our defense.

In reality, I wish Smoove was a lot tougher, so we could stick HIM at center, and play him like Ben Wallace. The deal would be all about acquiring Chris Paul though. But we'd STILL have to go out and get a defensive center.

In the end, we'd have to hope that Paul is good enough to really spark interest in Atlanta for the Hawks.

Here's a question . . . who gets introduced last at games, if Paul comes to ATL, but JJ has the Max contract?

Okafor a man defender, one of the better man defenders at center in the league. He vastly struggled v. Howard in 09-10, but in 08-09 Howard was average but Howard had great rebounding numbers, Career splits v. Okafor, D. Howard He had solid numbers but struggled in 07-08. So I expect him to be a good defender defending Howard but no Kendrick Perkins. He's great on the boards and actually block out his man. Nice change since most of our player rely on athletic ability on the boards. He's really worth about 6 million per so he's vastly overpaid. Joe would be too but Atlanta doesn't have much of a choice.

He's really worth about 6 million per so he's vastly overpaid. Joe would be too but Atlanta doesn't have much of a choice.

Lets compare apples to apples here.

Please name more then 1 comparable center making $6 mill a year who is no longer on their rookie contract.

• Moderators

Please name more then 1 comparable center making $6 mill a year who is no longer on their rookie contract.

I agree that $6M/year is unrealistically low in terms of his fair market value.

Kendrick Perkins and Joel P.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

Kendrick Perkins and Joel P.

At the time Perkins signed his current low ball deal, he was averaging 4.5 ppg and 5.2 rpg and had career averages significantly below that.

Joel Pryzbilla has career averages of 4.2 ppg and 6.7 rpg. When he signed his current deal, he came off a fantastic year for him of 6.1 ppg and 7.0 rpg. He has never once averaged as many ppg or rpg as in Okafor's worst season.

How are the two at the time they signed their current deals comparable to someone with a career average of 13 ppg and 10 rpg and career lows of 10 ppg and 9 rpg?

Even now, neither Perkins nor Pryz have ever averaged a single season with as many rpg as in Okafor's worst season or as many ppg as in Okafor's worst season.

I agree Sothron! If New Orleans is truly building towards the future, I proposed the following deal:

Atlanta receives: Chris Paul and Emeka Okafor

New Orleans receives: Josh Smith, Jamal Crawford, Mike Bibby, Nick Collison, and another player (couldn't quite get it to work)

Oklahoma City receives: David West

That gives New Orleans Crawford and Collison's expiring deals to go along with Peja's. It also rids them of Okafor's contract. They get a vet PG to mentor Collison.

Minus Bibby, I think New Orleans would do that deal if they could get #1 picks from Atlanta and a 2011 #1 round pick from OKC. Which will give them three first round picks. One lottery pick and two late first round picks which they can use as trade bait to move up.

At the time Perkins signed his current low ball deal, he was averaging 4.5 ppg and 5.2 rpg and had career averages significantly below that.

Joel Pryzbilla has career averages of 4.2 ppg and 6.7 rpg. When he signed his current deal, he came off a fantastic year for him of 6.1 ppg and 7.0 rpg. He has never once averaged as many ppg or rpg as in Okafor's worst season.

How are the two at the time they signed their current deals comparable to someone with a career average of 13 ppg and 10 rpg and career lows of 10 ppg and 9 rpg?

Even now, neither Perkins nor Pryz have ever averaged a single season with as many rpg as in Okafor's worst season or as many ppg as in Okafor's worst season.

Point well taken.

Edited by nbasuperstar40