• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why giving JJ the max is ridiculous

thecampster

Actually, it's a horrible idea for other reasons too (like he's not worth anything close to the max. Did you guys forget his playoff performance already?), but the original poster is correct with what he says. People talking about trades are delusional. People don't just trade you quality players for nothing. What are the Hawks going to trade for any player worthy of NBA minutes?

Edited by thefloydian

i can concur on that JJ in a couple years will give up and settle with the money to make his life not championships

OK pal - JJ has no history of settling down. If anything he stays in shape and plows throught the minutes with the old fool (Woody) in charge. How many Championships do you think there are to go around Cong? Two or three each year?

Lotsa teams playing pal - and most don't get close - I'll take 50+ wins and a chance anyday. snowballfight.gif

OK pal - JJ has no history of settling down. If anything he stays in shape and plows throught the minutes with the old fool (Woody) in charge. How many Championships do you think there are to go around Cong? Two or three each year?

Lotsa teams playing pal - and most don't get close - I'll take 50+ wins and a chance anyday. snowballfight.gif

And I contend that JJ is not responsible for the 50+ wins. The first year we had JJ we added Marvin and Zaza and still only won 26 games. Most people here forget that. Most people here forget that joe is the least efficient player with his shots of our top 4 scorers because he can not consistently get to the free throw line. Most people here forget how he dissed the fans, that the players in the locker room don't like him because he's a loner and most don't remember the ball pounding till there's 5 seconds on the clock and then pass it to Smith at the 3 point line.

Joe is not worth anything close to the max. When you pay Joe that kind of money, you are telling every other player on the team if they equal Joe's stats, they're worth the same. Josh Smith, Al Horford, Jamal Crawford are are arguably just as important to the teams success. Paying Joe the max will lose you one of those 3 players in the next two years.

Joe is not worth anything close to the max. When you pay Joe that kind of money, you are telling every other player on the team if they equal Joe's stats, they're worth the same. Josh Smith, Al Horford, Jamal Crawford are are arguably just as important to the teams success. Paying Joe the max will lose you one of those 3 players in the next two years.

You aren't serious are you camp? I mean do you think JJ is not better at his position (across the board) than JS is at PF?....JJ is in the top 4 SGs and JS is barely in the top 10 PFs. Al Horford is barely in the top 15 centers since he is 6'9". Craw is a bullet as a 6'5" skinny scorer, but he is nowhere near JJ....and not even a starter.

Give credit where credit is due.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

You aren't serious are you camp? I mean do you think JJ is not better at his position (across the board) than JS is at PF?....JJ is in the top 4 SGs and JS is barely in the top 10 PFs. Al Horford is barely in the top 15 centers since he is 6'9". Craw is a bullet as a 6'5" skinny scorer, but he is nowhere near JJ....and not even a starter.

You stated opinion, I stated statistical fact. Josh Smith was better for this team last year than Joe Johnson, both in the regular season and the playoffs and Josh made 10.8 million. Joe did not earn a max deal and his stats are inflated due to how much he had the ball in his hands. Many of his assists are due to people bailing him out with less than 5 seconds on the clock, his points are inflated due to shots taken/minutes played.

Horford not a top 15 center :thumbsdownsmileyanim: You do realized he made the All Star team for being probably the best center outside of Howard in the league. Just saying and he's really a PF. As for Smith, he is in the top 6.

• Premium Member

The only way resigning Joe to keep a second round exit roster together makes sense if these reports that the ASG don't expect to pay the whole contract because they will have already sold the team. THAT makes sense. THAT says the ASG is keeping an asset on the roster in order to sell it as a bonus to a potential new buyer.

Otherwise it makes ZERO sense. An ownership notorious for being cheap all of a sudden decides at the 11th hour to spend 120 million on ONE 29 year old guard? :thumbsdownsmileyanim: No sir, that makes no sense. No one would spend that money to keep a second round exit team together. Not even the most die hard Hawks homer could expect them to pay that kind of money let alone a "hater" of the ASG like myself. For the love of 'Nique not even I would spent 120 million to keep a 29 year old Joe Johnson unless this was already a championship team or a team that lost in the Finals!

So if we do keep Joe I'll be happy, I will retract my criticism of the ASG for now because I would definitely believe within a couple of years we'll have a new ownership for the Hawks.

• Moderators

Horf's a Top 15 Center by virtue of the fact that there aren't 15 Centers worth a dang in the league, and of those who qualify as centers by tape measure alone, none have shown a propensity to shut down Dwight without help from at least two additional bangers on the floor simultaneously. Al wants to be a PF, the fans want him to be a PF. But until another Top 15 Center comes along that can play with Al and/or Josh up against Dwight, Al is our Top 15 Center, hate it or love it.

~lw3

• Moderators

Joe can come out of this smelling like a rose by saying to A$G:

"I'm not taking your max money to come back and watch you not spend on anybody else and make me your 6-year scapegoat... I'll tell you what. I'll take a little less salary if you promise to fill out the roster with something other than lifeless souls like Joe Smith, Jason Collins, Randolph Morris, and Mario Wast. Promise you'll use the Minimum Level Exception, the Bi-Annual Exception, the Tibor Pleiss Exception, and I'll reduce my total contract accordingly. Otherwise, max me out and I'll have my people find you some sign-and-trade offers... Remember, if you won't vow to make this team better, I can give up a whole year of salary to go willingly to a team who will."

I'm not a Woj fan (Yahoo! Sports) but I do like his theory that A$G is gambling that either: (a) Joe will be tradeable and gone before his $20+ million bills come due; or, much more likely, (b) Joe's checks won't have A$G's signature on them in those back years of the contract, because by then they'd have sold the team; either way, those years will be someone else's problem.

~lw3

• Moderators

Joe can come out of this smelling like a rose by saying to the A$G. "thank you for your generous offer of 6 years and $120 million and I gladly accept"

He'll come out smelling like what they use sometimes to grow roses. lol

~lw3

Giving someone the max is easy when it isn't your money or worse yet it's monopoly money to most of the posters here. Here is what Giving JJ the max means. Please God let every Squawker read this in it's context.

If we give JJ the max, the last 3 years of the deal will be 20, 22, 24 million approximately. That means that one player will control 33-40% of the cap all by himself. That is lunacy. That is no way to build a team unless that player is named Kobe, Lebron, Dwayne, Dwight or a few players in their prime. Giving Joe the max is a 10 million dollar raise 6 years from now. That's not free money, it's money that is being taken away from signing other players. You can go over the cap year one to sign your own players, but after that, subsequent signs have to fit cap rules.

If you sign JJ tonight ASG, you are telling every Hawks fan, this is it. This is what you get for the next 6 years. Hawks under contract in 3 years (assuming Horford signs for similar money to Josh Smith) in 2012/2013.

JJ - 19 million

Josh - 13.2 million

Horford - 13 million

Marvin - 8.3 million

Zaza - 5.2 million

Teague - 2.4 million

Jordan Crawford - 1.2 million

62.3 million total - 5 million over the current cap.

That's your team guys. You sign JJ for the max and you are looking at Teague, JJ, Josh, Marvin and Horfod and absolutely no bench in 3 years. You are over the cap with 5 slots to fill. for everyone saying pay JJ the max, you are not thinking this through. This will handcuff us for years to come.

Lebron, Dwayne, Dwight

Two of these guys haven't won anything and the other was a Scottie Pippen when he won his.