its official

JohnnyCASH

6-year $120 million for someone that just disappeared in the playoffs a few months ago is still upsetting to me.

My beef isn't with Joe's performance in the playoffs. Things like that happen when you basically wear the player out during the regular season. I think we would all agree that Kevin Durant is a star and is a better player than Joe Johnson, yet he only shot 35% from the field in the playoffs and posted a PER that was 10 points lower than his regular season PER. Kevin Durant played the most minutes in the NBA last season. Joe was 19th. However, the only players who was in the top 20 in the NBA in minutes played who made it very far in the playoffs were LeBron James and Rajon Rondo, and by the time the series against the Lakers got here, you could see the toll being taken on Rajon, as he was not the same player he was early on in the playoffs.

My beef with this deal is that Joe's regular season performance doesn't warrant it. He doesn't produce enough wins as a player to get this kind of deal.

• Like 1

My beef isn't with Joe's performance in the playoffs. Things like that happen when you basically wear the player out during the regular season. I think we would all agree that Kevin Durant is a star and is a better player than Joe Johnson, yet he only shot 35% from the field in the playoffs and posted a PER that was 10 points lower than his regular season PER. Kevin Durant played the most minutes in the NBA last season. Joe was 19th. However, the only players who was in the top 20 in the NBA in minutes played who made it very far in the playoffs were LeBron James and Rajon Rondo, and by the time the series against the Lakers got here, you could see the toll being taken on Rajon, as he was not the same player he was early on in the playoffs.

My beef with this deal is that Joe's regular season performance doesn't warrant it. He doesn't produce enough wins as a player to get this kind of deal.

Totally agree with your regular season reference, can't get behind the Durant v Joe playoff comparison. This was Durant's first foray into the playoffs. JJ has stunk it up two straight years.

Edited by TheTruth

+1

Sigh...

Another concern is that I feel this deal may ultimately cost them Al Horford, and I get the distinct feeling that the Hawks don't realize what they have in Al. The guy is top 10 in the NBA in win shares and win shares per 48. He's already among the best centers in the game, and he's right outside the top 20 relative to PER. All that, and he's only 23-24 years old. If it were me, Joe would walk and Al would get the extension.

Totally agree with your regular season reference, can't get behind the Durant v Joe playoff comparison. This was Durant's first foray into the playoffs. JJ has stunk it up two straight years.

Co-sign. But yeah KB21 he doesn't deserve it period. But, him chucking bricks is so recent in my memory.

If Joe takes the Hawks offer early enough, I say the Hawks go all in. And by that I mean, they try to get in conversation(s) with LeBron (or D Wade). Supposedly, LeBron considers Joe a desierable potential sidekick so you attempt to convince LBJ to play in Atlanta w/ Joe and Al Horford. You sign Joe and then you get him on the phone recruiting LeBron. I'm thinking trading Jamal + JSmoove + picks for LBJ is one of the more attractive S&T packages for the Cavs.

Does anyone else see the logic behind this or am I just getting delirious here? After hearing that our supposedly frugal owners are offering Joe the full max, I'm beginning to think they just might be serious about contending for championships. And there's no better way to contend than to bring a superstar in to help Joe.

• Like 1

If Joe takes the Hawks offer early enough, I say the Hawks go all in. And by that I mean, they try to get in conversation(s) with LeBron (or D Wade). Supposedly, LeBron considers Joe a desierable potential sidekick so you attempt to convince LBJ to play in Atlanta w/ Joe and Al Horford. You sign Joe and then you get him on the phone recruiting LeBron. I'm thinking trading Jamal + JSmoove + picks for LBJ is one of the more attractive S&T packages for the Cavs.

Does anyone else see the logic behind this or am I just getting delirious here? After hearing that our supposedly frugal owners are offering Joe the full max, I'm beginning to think they just might be serious about contending for championships. And there's no better way to contend than to bring a superstar in to help Joe.

C'mon - don't say stuff like this. No cap room.

The way Espn is going on with their show. You would think JJ hasn't been offer the max let alone a contract period.

Drama. They are talking about the sexy knicks meeting with jj tonight.

Zero chance since they have little to give the hawks back and the a has thrown the initial punch and it was a haymaker.

I actually did the trade checker on the same trade Tuesday but it didn't work. But switching Al Horford instead of Josh Smith it did. Being that Lebron is a SF he would fit in the rotation nicely. I don't like Lebron that much but I do like to win. In other words, it makes a whole lot of sense because Lebron would have his own team and he would still set up the Cavs organization nice because Al Horford is one hell of a player in his natural position and Crawford is to big time scorer in this league with a expiring contact. Good work man, I see you are actually thinking!!