• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

its official

JohnnyCASH

Atlanta wasn't willing to do a SnT. Cleveland most definitely isn't.

Even if the ASG has the contract written up, put it right in front of JJ and JJ agrees to sign, it still doesn't mean anything. No deal can be signed until the moritorium is over. I believe it is over on july 8 but i am not sure of the exact date.

They could make this offer even if they have absolutely no intention of signing JJ. They could just be trying to force a SNT deal.

• Premium Member

The only way resigning Joe to keep a second round exit roster together makes sense if these reports that the ASG don't expect to pay the whole contract because they will have already sold the team. THAT makes sense. THAT says the ASG is keeping an asset on the roster in order to sell it as a bonus to a potential new buyer.

Otherwise it makes ZERO sense. An ownership notorious for being cheap all of a sudden decides at the 11th hour to spend 120 million on ONE 29 year old guard? :thumbsdownsmileyanim: No sir, that makes no sense. No one would spend that money to keep a second round exit team together. Not even the most die hard Hawks homer could expect them to pay that kind of money let alone a "hater" of the ASG like myself. For the love of 'Nique not even I would spent 120 million to keep a 29 year old Joe Johnson unless this was already a championship team or a team that lost in the Finals!

So if we do keep Joe I'll be happy, I will retract my criticism of the ASG for now because I would definitely believe within a couple of years we'll have a new ownership for the Hawks.

The only way resigning Joe to keep a second round exit roster together makes sense if these reports that the ASG don't expect to pay the whole contract because they will have already sold the team.

I hadn't thought of that. It certainly is a legit possibility.

The only way resigning Joe to keep a second round exit roster together makes sense if these reports that the ASG don't expect to pay the whole contract because they will have already sold the team. THAT makes sense. THAT says the ASG is keeping an asset on the roster in order to sell it as a bonus to a potential new buyer.

Otherwise it makes ZERO sense. An ownership notorious for being cheap all of a sudden decides at the 11th hour to spend 120 million on ONE 29 year old guard? :thumbsdownsmileyanim: No sir, that makes no sense. No one would spend that money to keep a second round exit team together. Not even the most die hard Hawks homer could expect them to pay that kind of money let alone a "hater" of the ASG like myself. For the love of 'Nique not even I would spent 120 million to keep a 29 year old Joe Johnson unless this was already a championship team or a team that lost in the Finals!

So if we do keep Joe I'll be happy, I will retract my criticism of the ASG for now because I would definitely believe within a couple of years we'll have a new ownership for the Hawks.

I agree, it doesn't match up w/ what we think of the ASG. The only other scenario I can think of is what I've been talking about in this thread. You don't make a move like this unless you're serious about winning. (Its something you see Mark Cuban doing, not the ASG).

And if you're serious about winning, you gotta bring in something even bigger to take this team to the next level. You gotta get a LBJ or a CP3 in the ATL. I hope thats the angle they're taking.

Who cares about the money .......

My problem is I dont hear the word CHAMPIONSHIP OR TITLE being used at all and that should be the goal . Just simply signing someone to those types of dollars simply because we cant find a better player if he leaves is not good enough and extremely irresponsible.

No we cannot trade for lebron No we cannot trade for CP3 if they were available for what we have well then the deal wouldve already been made .

What is the goal of management and ownership and I would love to hear how giving Joe the max after last season helps this franchise and how bringing Josh back after what he did as well. Its starting to look like the goal is to simply stay in the playoffs and make make the extra money from the 5-6 playoff home games .

Who cares about the money .......

My problem is I dont hear the word CHAMPIONSHIP OR TITLE being used at all and that should be the goal . Just simply signing someone to those types of dollars simply because we cant find a better player if he leaves is not good enough and extremely irresponsible.

You don't hear them talking about winning championships? Well I'm pretty sure I have. So I looked it up, here you go...its an interview w/ the face of Hawks basketball under ASG:

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/04/19/atlanta-hawks-asgs-michael-gearon-jr-talks-hawks/

"On Woody’s performance

“He’s done a good job. Getting the third seed, 53 wins, each year we keep getting better and better—regular season, he has done a tremendous job. But us a franchise, from the ownership down, we judge ourselves in the playoffs. It’s not just the regular season, its’ winning championships and we feel we have the right core here, culturally—coach, GM, players—and that’s what we are trying to do.” "

No we cannot trade for lebron No we cannot trade for CP3 if they were available for what we have well then the deal wouldve already been made .

Why can't we?

if the asg doesn't make an offer like this, then they are trying to lowball the player proving that they are cheap. if they really do offer this, then they are idiots and are overpaying for the player. not that i am trying to be an asg sympathizer, but they are publicly screwed no matter what they do or don't do. the one problem with the internet age is every fan judges organizations with every possibility and rumor drummed up every minute of every day. opinions are made before actions are even taken.

personally, if the 120/6 deal is true, i have to appreciate it. i don't think joe is actually worth all that money, but losing that caphold on our payroll would set us further back from our goal. ideally i'd like to see the hawks make this deal go through, then trade joe in the next year or two. we get a productive joe and then can trade for other players and stay above the salary cap level. someone will still take joe with that contract while he is still producing (surely we can count on some isiah thomas like gm somewhere, right?).

i'm more interested to see where the hawks that this over the summer and am trying to reserve judgement until the offseason is over and the regular season begins.

if history has shown us anything, it seems that sund has general m.o. is to resign our own players (josh, marvin, not letting chillz go away for nothing) and bring in strong supporting players to add to the team and improve it each year (flip, bibby mid season, crawford). i'm sure resigning jj won't be the only thing they try to do this offseason.